GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

"Engine Fail" EPC light and Workshop

Saabstory

.:R32 OG Member # 002
Hey all;

My wife just called as our 2009 GTI went into limp mode on her way to work. She said the MFD flashed "Engine fail" followed by the EPC light and a workshop now! message. I'm hoping someone on here may have some ideas on issues to look at?

It is a 2009 GTI, ~120,000 miles on it. I know it's a MKV but it has a MKVI engine so I wanted to start here. ;)

The motor received R8 coils and new plugs at about 80,000 miles so it shouldn't be coils... Maintenance has been performed and up to date by me on a regular basis (every 10K give or take, I don't pretend to be perfect :D)

09GTIJOE

Go Kart Champion
i wouldn't rule out coils. best thing to do is get the codes read. could be something from coils or could be ECU

Saabstory

Yeah, thanks. As I can't get there I had to have her take it to the dealer (I hate that...) so hopefully we will hear back shortly.

Zonaglxy

Ready to race!
Maybe an injector got stuck. Have you done a carbon cleaning?

Saabstory

Once I have info I'll update, no worries. Just hope it stays under $500 now that the dealer is involved...

Saabstory

It's the Throttle Body wiring connector; there's even a TSB out on it for the late model MKVs and early TSI engines. Apparently under high torque the engine shifts too much and the wiring harness is not long enough; so it pulls the wiring out from the connector.

$600 according to this dealership to rewire the connector... :rolleyes:

I tried customer care to see if we could get any help with it; but no luck (not that I expected any). I guess owning more than 15 VWs in the last 30 years doesn't count for much anymore...

Taiso0019

Ready to race!
Sorry to hear that. Even if its under a TSB they won't do ANYthing? I guess its time to look for a second opinion (pricewise)...

09GTIJOE

Go Kart Champion
It's the Throttle Body wiring connector; there's even a TSB out on it for the late model MKVs and early TSI engines. Apparently under high torque the engine shifts too much and the wiring harness is not long enough; so it pulls the wiring out from the connector.

I tried customer care to see if we could get any help with it; but no luck (not that I expected any). I guess owning more than 15 VWs in the last 30 years doesn't count for much anymore...

I had the exact same thing happen to my 2009 tsi mk5. they ended up replacing the throttle body as well.

Saabstory

Believe me, I would love to... I would even do the work myself (it is actually pretty easy to do, 6 wire splices and some tape basically...)

MY problem is time... I don't have any right now... :(

loopless1

Ready to race!

Happened to my 2010 GTI as well. Had it done very cheaply by an independent shop. VW supplies a little kit from memory. In my case it would only happen when I was running an APR stg 1 tune due to the extra torque.

Saabstory

As crazy as it sounds; they still aren't done with the car yet... As of about 11:30 today they'll have had to car for 4 days to splice 6 wires...

They did at least volunteer to pay ~1.5 days worth of our rental; and then yesterday as they still weren't done they gave us a loaner so we didn't have to keep the rental any longer. But still, 4 days to splice 6 wires... :iono:

loopless1

Ready to race!
As crazy as it sounds; they still aren't done with the car yet... As of about 11:30 today they'll have had to car for 4 days to splice 6 wires...

They did at least volunteer to pay ~1.5 days worth of our rental; and then yesterday as they still weren't done they gave us a loaner so we didn't have to keep the rental any longer. But still, 4 days to splice 6 wires... :iono:

Seriously my shop took an afternoon to do it. Maybe they had to order the kit.