GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Clunking Noise When Braking

mossymemedogg

Hey Everybody,

I bought a '12 R about a month ago and recently it started to make a clunking noise occasionally when braking, it usually happens under light braking. Its not loud, but its noticeable. Also I noticed a rattling noise that started at the same time the clunking did. The rattling sounds very tinny and I think its probably a heat shield rubbing somewhere near the DP, it happens always at the same revs: 1800-2000rpm. Anyone else have this problem?

A little info on the car:
6 spd
APR Turbo back exhaust
APR stage 1+
APR hpfp

Thanks

bebersol

Ready to race!
Hey Everybody,

I bought a '12 R about a month ago and recently it started to make a clunking noise occasionally when braking, it usually happens under light braking. Its not loud, but its noticeable. Also I noticed a rattling noise that started at the same time the clunking did. The rattling sounds very tinny and I think its probably a heat shield rubbing somewhere near the DP, it happens always at the same revs: 1800-2000rpm. Anyone else have this problem?

A little info on the car:
6 spd
APR Turbo back exhaust
APR stage 1+
APR hpfp

Thanks

The heat shield behind the turbo sometimes rattles, but you might check the entire exhaust to see if there is a close clearance somewhere.

The braking thunk is common on R's, mine did it in reverse. Tyrolsport makes a kit that takes the slack out of the caliper mounting hardware the thunk is then entirely eliminated.

Some R's also have a thunk under hard steering, that is from slack in the sub-frame. Tyrolsport also makes a dead-set kit to take care of that.

mossymemedogg

The heat shield behind the turbo sometimes rattles, but you might check the entire exhaust to see if there is a close clearance somewhere.

The braking thunk is common on R's, mine did it in reverse. Tyrolsport makes a kit that takes the slack out of the caliper mounting hardware the thunk is then entirely eliminated.

Some R's also have a thunk under hard steering, that is from slack in the sub-frame. Tyrolsport also makes a dead-set kit to take care of that.

Thanks for the reply,
I just wanted to make sure there wasn't anything that was going to break, its not a healthy sounding noise. I will take a look at the Tyrolsport kit, was it a pain to install on your R?
Some things I have noticed while driving is that it really only does it when its hot outside (85°+) so that could make sense if it has something to do with a rubber bushing being soft when its hot. Regardless of whether or not its causing any damage its something I would like to take care of.

Thanks

Eric1285

Ready to race!
Does it happen when you reverse, brake, then go forward and brake?

I just had the HPA front brake kit installed on my R and noticed that every time I brake in reverse, I get a clunk from one side the first time I brake after going forwards. Did some research and it sounds like it's just the pad moving a bit inside the caliper. Supposedly a new spring clip will fix it, but it doesn't sound like anything to worry about.

mossymemedogg

Does it happen when you reverse, brake, then go forward and brake?

I just had the HPA front brake kit installed on my R and noticed that every time I brake in reverse, I get a clunk from one side the first time I brake after going forwards. Did some research and it sounds like it's just the pad moving a bit inside the caliper. Supposedly a new spring clip will fix it, but it doesn't sound like anything to worry about.

Thanks for the reply,
Yes it happens in reverse and when I go forward, it makes a somewhat louder clunk in the hot weather, (where I live its been 85°+ for the past month) in cooler weather it doesn't clunk as consistently.

If its not something that needs attention right away then I will probably wait until I do break pads and take a look. I purchased the car earlier this year and before my Golf I had a mk4 jetta and I was dealing with a nightmare situation of broken transmission mount bolts and clunking noises from underneath give me flashbacks to that shitshow.

bebersol

Ready to race!
The Tyrol sport brake deadset will likely take care of the brake clunk. Its not too hard to do, just buy a set of long nose C-clip pliers off Amazon to make it easier.
If your sub-frame has ever been dropped it will also likely make a clunking noise under hard turns, hard braking and hard starts. Tyrol also make a deadset kit for this, it's pretty easy to install. I think Hyde has a thread for the DIY. I did both of these to mine and no more clunks, and the suspension tightened up. I would do both deadsets before investing on other suspension stiffing items like sway bars and coilovers.

HYDE161

Go Kart Champion
The Tyrol sport brake deadset will likely take care of the brake clunk. Its not too hard to do, just buy a set of long nose C-clip pliers off Amazon to make it easier.
If your sub-frame has ever been dropped it will also likely make a clunking noise under hard turns, hard braking and hard starts. Tyrol also make a deadset kit for this, it's pretty easy to install. I think Hyde has a thread for the DIY. I did both of these to mine and no more clunks, and the suspension tightened up. I would do both deadsets before investing on other suspension stiffing items like sway bars and coilovers.

https://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48759