GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com



Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Volkswagen GTI / Golf Topics > VW Golf R Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-09-2018, 02:10 PM   #1
mossymemedogg
Passed Driver's Ed
 
Drives: Golf R
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 7
Clunking Noise When Braking

Hey Everybody,

I bought a '12 R about a month ago and recently it started to make a clunking noise occasionally when braking, it usually happens under light braking. Its not loud, but its noticeable. Also I noticed a rattling noise that started at the same time the clunking did. The rattling sounds very tinny and I think its probably a heat shield rubbing somewhere near the DP, it happens always at the same revs: 1800-2000rpm. Anyone else have this problem?

A little info on the car:
6 spd
53k
APR Turbo back exhaust
APR stage 1+
APR hpfp

Thanks
mossymemedogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 05:36 PM   #2
bebersol
Rally Car Champion
 
bebersol's Avatar
 
Drives: '13 Carbon Gray 4dr Golf R
Join Date: May 2012
Location: North Texas
Posts: 343
Quote:
Originally Posted by mossymemedogg View Post
Hey Everybody,

I bought a '12 R about a month ago and recently it started to make a clunking noise occasionally when braking, it usually happens under light braking. Its not loud, but its noticeable. Also I noticed a rattling noise that started at the same time the clunking did. The rattling sounds very tinny and I think its probably a heat shield rubbing somewhere near the DP, it happens always at the same revs: 1800-2000rpm. Anyone else have this problem?

A little info on the car:
6 spd
53k
APR Turbo back exhaust
APR stage 1+
APR hpfp

Thanks
The heat shield behind the turbo sometimes rattles, but you might check the entire exhaust to see if there is a close clearance somewhere.

The braking thunk is common on R's, mine did it in reverse. Tyrolsport makes a kit that takes the slack out of the caliper mounting hardware the thunk is then entirely eliminated.

Some R's also have a thunk under hard steering, that is from slack in the sub-frame. Tyrolsport also makes a dead-set kit to take care of that.
__________________
Bunch O'Stuff :-)
bebersol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 08:36 AM   #3
mossymemedogg
Passed Driver's Ed
 
Drives: Golf R
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by bebersol View Post
The heat shield behind the turbo sometimes rattles, but you might check the entire exhaust to see if there is a close clearance somewhere.

The braking thunk is common on R's, mine did it in reverse. Tyrolsport makes a kit that takes the slack out of the caliper mounting hardware the thunk is then entirely eliminated.

Some R's also have a thunk under hard steering, that is from slack in the sub-frame. Tyrolsport also makes a dead-set kit to take care of that.
Thanks for the reply,
I just wanted to make sure there wasn't anything that was going to break, its not a healthy sounding noise. I will take a look at the Tyrolsport kit, was it a pain to install on your R?
Some things I have noticed while driving is that it really only does it when its hot outside (85+) so that could make sense if it has something to do with a rubber bushing being soft when its hot. Regardless of whether or not its causing any damage its something I would like to take care of.

Thanks
mossymemedogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 05:32 PM   #4
Eric1285
Passed Driver's Ed
 
Drives: 2009 GTI, 2013 Golf R
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 12
Does it happen when you reverse, brake, then go forward and brake?


I just had the HPA front brake kit installed on my R and noticed that every time I brake in reverse, I get a clunk from one side the first time I brake after going forwards. Did some research and it sounds like it's just the pad moving a bit inside the caliper. Supposedly a new spring clip will fix it, but it doesn't sound like anything to worry about.
Eric1285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 10:57 AM   #5
mossymemedogg
Passed Driver's Ed
 
Drives: Golf R
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric1285 View Post
Does it happen when you reverse, brake, then go forward and brake?


I just had the HPA front brake kit installed on my R and noticed that every time I brake in reverse, I get a clunk from one side the first time I brake after going forwards. Did some research and it sounds like it's just the pad moving a bit inside the caliper. Supposedly a new spring clip will fix it, but it doesn't sound like anything to worry about.
Thanks for the reply,
Yes it happens in reverse and when I go forward, it makes a somewhat louder clunk in the hot weather, (where I live its been 85+ for the past month) in cooler weather it doesn't clunk as consistently.

If its not something that needs attention right away then I will probably wait until I do break pads and take a look. I purchased the car earlier this year and before my Golf I had a mk4 jetta and I was dealing with a nightmare situation of broken transmission mount bolts and clunking noises from underneath give me flashbacks to that shitshow.
mossymemedogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 03:32 PM   #6
bebersol
Rally Car Champion
 
bebersol's Avatar
 
Drives: '13 Carbon Gray 4dr Golf R
Join Date: May 2012
Location: North Texas
Posts: 343
The Tyrol sport brake deadset will likely take care of the brake clunk. Its not too hard to do, just buy a set of long nose C-clip pliers off Amazon to make it easier.
If your sub-frame has ever been dropped it will also likely make a clunking noise under hard turns, hard braking and hard starts. Tyrol also make a deadset kit for this, it's pretty easy to install. I think Hyde has a thread for the DIY. I did both of these to mine and no more clunks, and the suspension tightened up. I would do both deadsets before investing on other suspension stiffing items like sway bars and coilovers.
__________________
Bunch O'Stuff :-)
bebersol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 08:27 PM   #7
HYDE16
Formula 2 Driver
 
HYDE16's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 MK6
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Morris County, NJ
Posts: 6,840
Quote:
Originally Posted by bebersol View Post
The Tyrol sport brake deadset will likely take care of the brake clunk. Its not too hard to do, just buy a set of long nose C-clip pliers off Amazon to make it easier.
If your sub-frame has ever been dropped it will also likely make a clunking noise under hard turns, hard braking and hard starts. Tyrol also make a deadset kit for this, it's pretty easy to install. I think Hyde has a thread for the DIY. I did both of these to mine and no more clunks, and the suspension tightened up. I would do both deadsets before investing on other suspension stiffing items like sway bars and coilovers.
https://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48759
__________________
Pag Parts EFR Turbo Thread: HYDE16 - The Pag Parts EFR Turbo Kit
Build Thread: HYDE16 - Project Jekyll & Hyde Build Thread
Facebook: Ryan Jacobs
Instagram:@becauseHYDE16
YouTube: HYDE16
HYDE16 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:31 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.