GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Volkswagen GTI / Golf Topics > VW Golf R Forum

Old 10-30-2018, 02:24 AM   #1
Phil0814

Drives: 2013 VW Golf R Stage II+
Blown Cam Follower MK6 R...

Ok, so I've got a blown cam follower. No symptoms until it was toast. I bought the car 7 months ago and was a rookie, so didn't know about the cam follower issue. I started to learn about it, so purchased a cam follower replacement kit two weeks ago to perform the service myself. It arrived last Thursday. Friday on the way home, it started showing symptoms in the last mile to home. I thought it was just my intake hose coming loose, which had happened before. Then on Saturday morning, I went to start the car to go somewhere, and the check engine light came on and it was very rough at idle. So, I turned it off and since I had the cam follower service kit, I proceeded to do that. Once I removed the HPFP, I saw that the damage was done. See pics below:
Name:  HPFP_1.JPG
Views: 173
Size:  95.6 KB

Name:  HPFP_2.JPG
Views: 175
Size:  57.2 KB

Name:  HPFP_3.JPG
Views: 174
Size:  113.9 KB
I am pretty certain I'll be doing the following since the cam follower was obliterated / punched through at the end:

-Replace HPFP. How can you tell if it's an aftermarket HPFP? It has the alphanumeric stamp of HPP0004 on the side. Is that a hi-volume HPFP or stock?
-Replace Camshaft
-Upgrade to the TSI Cam Follower Conversion Kit. I do NOT want to stay with the same failed design on the cam follower.
-Inspect the cylinder head for metal pieces.

What is the best way to flush the oil system to clean out any possible metal pieces?

Any other suggestions?

Thank you!
Phil0814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 03:15 PM   #2
Fast-R
Passed Driver's Ed

Drives: 2012 4 Door Golf R
I was under the impression that the cam also has to be replaced when this happens too. check it for any abnormal scoring...

Carefully check the rest of the cylinder head as well since there could be shavings anywhere which can mess it up..
Fast-R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 05:09 PM   #3
Phil0814

Yes, I mentioned I plan on the following:

-Replace HPFP. How can you tell if it's an aftermarket HPFP? It has the alphanumeric stamp of HPP0004 on the side. Is that a hi-volume HPFP or stock?
-Replace Camshaft
-Upgrade to the TSI Cam Follower Conversion Kit. I do NOT want to stay with the same failed design on the cam follower.
-Inspect the cylinder head for metal pieces.

I can hopefully do all the work. We'll see...
Old 10-31-2018, 09:08 AM   #4
Fast-R
Passed Driver's Ed

Sorry, I didn't see the cam replacement in your list, hence my comment.. Give an update once you finish, would like to hear the outcome if it went smooth or any hiccups...

I used to worry about the cam follower all the time since I was wearing out the black coating rather quickly each time I replaced them.. I did the roller follower conversion and it feels nice to not worry about it any further..
Fast-R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 03:32 PM   #5
Phil0814

FAST-R,
Did the TSI roller Follower Conversion use the same style of HPFP as the FSI setup? Making sure if I need to get a different style of HPFP with this conversion.

Thanks,
Phil
Old 10-31-2018, 04:09 PM   #6
Fast-R
Passed Driver's Ed

I had the upgraded APR HPFP upgrade before the conversion and then just re-used it when I did the install, no issues at all..
Old 11-16-2018, 02:56 PM   #7
bebersol
Rally Car Champion

Drives: '13 Carbon Gray 4dr Golf R
most of the cam follower failures have been with modified HPFPs. I think the only way to tell if its modified is to look at the piston, otherwise most of the HPFP upgrades are done to the OE Hitachi HPFP body. There's the autotech , the APR and the IE upgrades. I think the last one is the best in terms of reliability, but also most expensive. Did the entire bottom of you cam follower blow off?
Old 11-16-2018, 03:07 PM   #8
bebersol
Rally Car Champion

Drives: '13 Carbon Gray 4dr Golf R
https://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=114623

here's what my first cam follower (left) looked like at 20,000 mi (OE castrol) and my second cam follower (right) at 40,000 mi (LiquiMoly). I'm running a stock HPFP.

Tags
cam follower, camshaft, hpfp