GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

My day at Waterfest 18 and APR Stage 2 - First impression from a Noob

PoorHumble

Ready to race!
My MK6 was stock. Today, at Waterfest, I bought a stage 2 tune, downpipe, and stage 2 carbonio. Total damage to my wallet was 1,676.00 greenbacks.

First, I want to say I don't know much about mods and tunes as this is the first of my cars I've ever done anything to. I've never been a fan of aftermarket anything. I bought this 2011 4 door GTI because I got hitched and needed something way more practical, yet fun to drive. Test drove the GTI and was sold. Perfect fit for me and my lifestyle. Fun handler. Fast forward 15 months and the car feels slow as molasses to me now. So thus...

Today, arrived at WF bright and early at 845am. My appointment with APR was for 9:30. Chris Strickland greeted me at the gate and took me in right away and put my car up on the lift and the crew began work. I thought it'd take an hour but I was wrong. I guess a lot goes into doing this. It took about 3 1/2 hours.

For the time being, I kept making rounds around the vendor area looking for ECS. I could not find them for the life of me. I must've went back and forth each aisle 5 or 6 times. They were not there. I really wanted to try and pick up a set of OEM led taillights. Oh well...

So I get the car back from Ryan and he gives me a breakdown of how everything works. Says "There isn't a break in period. Just drive it." So before I even drive it, I move it onto the portable dyno that was set up by APR's area. Dyno was a waste of 70 bucks because apparently the chip is still "learning". Ahh. Why didn't the dyno guys mention this to me before I gave them my car? I did tell them that I just had work done to it at the WF and it was stock before. Oh well...

After the Dyno, the seatbelt light came on the dashboard when I began to pull out of the raceway. I pulled over at a gas station, shut off the car, turned it back on and the light was gone.

The drive back to Brooklyn. About 30+ miles. I like it!! I didn't really get a chance to open it up bc of traffic and fear of all the patrol cars I saw when I was on my way to WF. I did get it up to 75 and in 5th and it still felt like it had more pull. I also realized that many times I was doing 75 and didn't know I was doing 75. Also, I usually drive in DSG manual mode. For the drive home, I had it in D for the most part and it was great. Much better than before.

This Mod noob gives APR stage 2 a couple of thumbs up. :w00t::thumbsup::thumbup::wosschilder980:

Carbon Steel

Go Kart Champion
You Splashed Water Fest, I hope all works out well for you, and it seems like you got the right guys to do the installing. Good luck and happy motoring, (old school). :w00t:

JohnnieCroat

Ready to race!
I am surprised. I bought the stage 1 tune. Also took a while since I got on line at like 4PM on Saturday. Left at 7 on the nose. I also had a carbonio intake and magnaflow CBE installed a while ago. Felt it instantly. So much power compared to stock. I love it. Better gas mileage too on my way home. Filled up before I left, and the first notch down I hit 78 miles, i usually hit that at like 60 on the highway and I was pushing it here and there.
Great hospitality at the APR booth when they offered water and whatnot. Wish I could go into the trailer and grab a hot dog, LOL. I didn't go stage 2 since I read here people had more problems than stage 1. So I'd rather save me a clutch then get an extra 20HP. I feel this car has enough power with the stage 1, but what do I know. Most HP car I owned. One day I'll get a GT-R and this will feel like nothing.

CFG9000

Ready to race!
That dyno was shady as hell. Girl over there had some nice legs, though.

allset

Go Kart Champion
My MK6 was stock. Today, at Waterfest, I bought a stage 2 tune, downpipe, and stage 2 carbonio. Total damage to my wallet was 1,676.00 greenbacks.

First, I want to say I don't know much about mods and tunes as this is the first of my cars I've ever done anything to. I've never been a fan of aftermarket anything. I bought this 2011 4 door GTI because I got hitched and needed something way more practical, yet fun to drive. Test drove the GTI and was sold. Perfect fit for me and my lifestyle. Fun handler. Fast forward 15 months and the car feels slow as molasses to me now. So thus...

Today, arrived at WF bright and early at 845am. My appointment with APR was for 9:30. Chris Strickland greeted me at the gate and took me in right away and put my car up on the lift and the crew began work. I thought it'd take an hour but I was wrong. I guess a lot goes into doing this. It took about 3 1/2 hours.

For the time being, I kept making rounds around the vendor area looking for ECS. I could not find them for the life of me. I must've went back and forth each aisle 5 or 6 times. They were not there. I really wanted to try and pick up a set of OEM led taillights. Oh well...

So I get the car back from Ryan and he gives me a breakdown of how everything works. Says "There isn't a break in period. Just drive it." So before I even drive it, I move it onto the portable dyno that was set up by APR's area. Dyno was a waste of 70 bucks because apparently the chip is still "learning". Ahh. Why didn't the dyno guys mention this to me before I gave them my car? I did tell them that I just had work done to it at the WF and it was stock before. Oh well...

After the Dyno, the seatbelt light came on the dashboard when I began to pull out of the raceway. I pulled over at a gas station, shut off the car, turned it back on and the light was gone.

The drive back to Brooklyn. About 30+ miles. I like it!! I didn't really get a chance to open it up bc of traffic and fear of all the patrol cars I saw when I was on my way to WF. I did get it up to 75 and in 5th and it still felt like it had more pull. I also realized that many times I was doing 75 and didn't know I was doing 75. Also, I usually drive in DSG manual mode. For the drive home, I had it in D for the most part and it was great. Much better than before.

This Mod noob gives APR stage 2 a couple of thumbs up. :w00t::thumbsup::thumbup::wosschilder980:

Its going to adapt over the first 70-100 miles so it may be erratic for that time until th fuel trim set and every thing gets mapped. youll notice an increase in performance after this period.

PoorHumble

Ready to race!
That dyno was shady as hell. Girl over there had some nice legs, though.

Uhh, dude... the dyno girl's skin color was so pale, she was almost green. At first I thought she was jealous but...

PoorHumble

Ready to race!
What did you dyno at? above or below 180whp?

It was about that figure 183 I believe was the best out of 3 pulls. The printout is in my glove box so not on hand right now.

Forum member Inc55 just sold me his oem LED tails and gave me tons of advice and installed them for me. Great guy and new friend. I've wanted these lights for the longest but wasn't sure if I wanted to mod the car. Add 620 to the 1676 I spent today. Oh gosh. I've been bitten by the Dubmod Bug.

I am three steps short of being content with the car. I've got the bulb fault light due to oem led's and Left fender dent and right door ding. NYC is the fkin worst place I swear.

I did get to floor it on the way back from having the LED's put in tonight and wow!!! It felt great. Sounds pretty nice also. :D:clap:

Last edited: