GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

10K oil change interval??

FN in MT

Ready to race!
I'm somewhat surprised to see a 10,000 mile OCI.

Is the 10K interval due to advances in oil technology? Or is VW simply saving a few bucks as the changes are on their dime until 36K?

Anyone gone the 10K then had their oil analyzed??

FN in MT

Tecni

Ready to race!
They're extending the interval to save themselves money if you ask me.

jgs5607

Ready to race!
I went in for my Courtesy Check today and when talking to the service tech, I mentioned I was going to change mine at 5K miles since I thought 10K was a bit long.

He commented that it is relatively cheap insurance to have it changed at 5K miles to help assure longevity of the motor and that he does that with his new CC. He also mentioned that a synthetic oil change was $85.00 at the dealership.

I am leasing the car for 3 years so I really shouldn't care about the long term, but it is just against my nature to wait that long.

Diego Armando

Go Kart Champion
They're extending the interval to save themselves money if you ask me.

Agreed. When they told me this the night I purchased I chuckled a bit. Theres no way I'm gonna run a brand new car 10K between oil changed. Hell, I wouldn't do it to any vehicle period. They said some b.s. about running synthetic but even then going beyond the 5k point isn't advisable.

:fighting0030: I'm not touching any of this including break-in threads either over on vwvortex or bobistheoilguy! After a LOT of reading and research, I changed my oil at 5,000 miles myself. VW will be changing it at 10,000, me at 15,000, ad naseum. Go look at the UOA's and the shearing indications - our 2.0 TSI motors just tear up oil. So, that's my $0.02. And my motor. Plus I'm chipped so if that helps anyone else decide what they want to do, well - good luck! :D

FN in MT

Ready to race!
I think ME at 5K, THEM at 10K, etc. IS the deal as well. I may have mine analyzed at 5K just to see what it has left after 5K of use.

Read a test awhile back on a new Porsche , it showed oil changes at 20K!! MAY have been a typo though.

FN in MT

jmblur1

Go Kart Champion
Nope, that's right FN - 20k. A lot of BMWs are over 10k too.

I've read guys on bimmerfest who swear that their N54 motors (3.0L twin turbo for those that don't know) are fine on BMW's "recommended" 15,000 mile (or greater) service schedule. I honestly can't fathom not changing my oil but once a year. I know modern synthetics are great but geez!!!!!

Marin1

Don't worry, folks, here in Europe all cars have gone on this extended service intervals. When I bought my previous car (BMW) the service was the "old style" every 12K km. Then all of a sudden they switched a different oil etc. and started servicing the car at 25K. It was done mostly out of ecological concerns and not to save money for themselves, as some of you suspected, as here the customer pays for every service. Cheers

JackReacher

Passed Driver's Ed
Having seen UOAs for TSI motors on BITOG I would NEVER run anything more than 5k mi. These motors shear oil like no one's business.

StreetSpeed2000

Passed Driver's Ed
Well I changed my oil in my MKV every 10,000 miles and didn't have a single problem in 75,000 miles, which included several thousand HARD miles on a track. The VW engineers are smarter than I, and if they say 10,000 miles, then I'm all too happy to keep an extra $70 in my pocket when possible.

roadking26

Passed Driver's Ed
I'm just too "Old School" to go 10k between oil changes. I took my MkVI in at 2500 miles for the courtesy check and had them change the oil (cost $65). I considered that 2500 miles a break-in period. I'll change it again at 5000, and then every 5000 thereafter. I'm leasing, too, but I did so to keep the initial cost down -- I very likely will be keeping my car, so longevity is an issue. Anyway, 10k just doesn't feel right to me. Like somebody said above, oil changes are cheap insurance for a high performance engine. For all that it gives me, I think my GTI deserves the best treatment -- he'll get fresh oil every 5k.

Don't worry, folks, here in Europe all cars have gone on this extended service intervals. When I bought my previous car (BMW) the service was the "old style" every 12K km. Then all of a sudden they switched a different oil etc. and started servicing the car at 25K. It was done mostly out of ecological concerns and not to save money for themselves, as some of you suspected, as here the customer pays for every service. Cheers

And you're absolutely correct! Performing an oil change in Germany constitutes an ecological act of war practically now and the shops/dealerships pay a hefty oil disposal and recycling fees/fines for every drop of used oil they have to get rid of. Engine coolant, transmission fluid as well - all toxic, all expensive to dispose/recycle.

hugoender1

Ready to race!
The following is taken from my post on another thread (http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4918&page=4) in this forum.

And the oil analysis is back! The results are VERY surprising and promising! I have written a formal article here (http://gadgettechie.net/cars/oil-cha...engine-part-2/). There are two parts to the series. The first part shows the results of my first oil change at 5k miles and the second part is the newest one which shows the results of my most recent oil change at close to 10k miles with an APR Stage 1 93 Octane tune.