GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

GTI vs CC: same engine, significantly different driving dynamics?

decapitor

Passed Driver's Ed
I am curious if anyone test drove a CC in addition to their GTI while at their VW dealer. The two cars share an engine but have different platforms correct? Can anyone comment on every day driving dynamics between the two cars, specifically for more everyday situations? I imagine the GTI would be a bit more nimble, but is it significant? Is the suspension and/or brakes much different? I will get around to test driving both at some point in the near future but would be very curious to hear what people here think first. I find them both to be very attractive packages and both are in my top 5 choices for my next vehicle. Thanks.

P.S. I should mention that I have read the other GTI vs CC thread on this forum. That one focused more on the family practicality side and less on the dynamics, so that's what I wanted to emphasize here. (I just wanted to be clear because I'm pretty new to the forum and hate it when noobs come in and ask the same questions over and over without using the search function.)

Last edited:

Mk6golfer

Ready to race!
I'd say they drive completely different, although I've only driven the GTI. CC is larger and for a completely different market. The real question is how does it drive among its competition.

Brum85

Passed Driver's Ed
Unless I'm mistaken, the GTI has the 2.0T engine, but the ECU controls it for a more sporty feel.

The suspension in the car, the brakes, the stability control... all of these features and associated technology are unique to the GTI. (vs a golf, or any other VW car)

sonomichele

I test drove both and they were very different, but it wasn't so much the engine rather the cars are really different. The CC is a bit more luxury and a lot softer ride, it didn't have the same road feel or handling. It was an interesting enough family sedan but it was nothing like a GTI. Had I needed the extra space I would have gotten a Mazda6 instead of the CC, but the GTI suited me perfectly.

VWVic

Passed Driver's Ed
I drove both cars back to back, over the same road course, though I wasn't really considering the CC. The ride of the CC on 18" wheels is markedly smoother than the GTI on the 18s. It's also more quiet, especially on the highway. Overall, the feel of the controls is similar. The engine is pretty much the same, though it isn't tuned in the CC to make that same throaty growl you get with the GTI. The GTI is definitely more nimble, and zestier to drive. The extra weight blunts the performance a bit on the CC, so it's not as quick or easy to rev. It definitely feels like a larger, more mature ride. It's still a lot of fun for a sedan its size, but it's no GTI...

-V

PENROSE

Go Kart Champion
I test drove both. And it was a really tough decision on which car to choose. Almost a coin-flip decision, actually.

Yes, they have the same engine, but as others have said, they do not ride the same. The GTI has more "zip" and a more "sporty/go cart" feel....and the CC has a softer, more "luxury" type of feel.

The one thing I did NOT like about the CC was that it has 2 bucket seats in the back. You cannot sit 5 people in the car, haha....and it is a decent sized car.

The one thing I liked most about the CC is that it is a really, really, really GOOD LOOKING CAR:thumbsup:

In the end I went with the GTI, but like I said it was a close call between the two. And everytime I pass a CC on the road, I catch myself going "daaaammm"

I dont regret my decision though:D

ConnerryGTI

Passed Driver's Ed
Sometimes, life is beautiful. Case in point.; went to a VW dealership a couple weeks ago so my g/f could test drive the new MKVI I'm waiting on. I also wanted her to take a look a Tiguan; she's a small SUV/crossover kinda gal, but loves to power of my MKV...especially when switched over to APR 91 on the weekends. While there...she sees a CC. And I thought she was in love at first sight with ME....:p. Looks like by summer's end, they'll be two new 'dubs in the drive-wizzzay :-] I love the CC, and, if I every decide to grow up ( I'm a very very young looking 40), I might go that route. In the meantime, whaddya think...just propose, marry her, and just drive hers a couple times a week? Life's worth it for two VW's right? :]

J-S

Well like it's been said already same engine but very different like when I tried a A3 right after a GTI, the A3 felt really slow compared to the GTI even if they have the same engine but you have to remember that the A3 is way heavier then the GTI so feels a lot different to drive.

PENROSE

Go Kart Champion
Well like it's been said already same engine but very different like when I tried a A3 right after a GTI, the A3 felt really slow compared to the GTI even if they have the same engine but you have to remember that the A3 is way heavier then the GTI so feels a lot different to drive.

The A3 is heavier.....really.....didnt know that

roastpuff

Go Kart Champion
It's not smaller than a GTI... the styling is deceptive. Inside it is a bit more cramped...

Here's some stats from the websites:

Audi quattro S-tronic = 3461lbs
GTI (manual) 3,034 lbs (1,376 kg) 3,113 lbs (1,412 kg)

I think DSG is like an extra 50lbs or so?

decapitor

Passed Driver's Ed
Thanks for the replies everyone. All that's left is for me to get myself over to to a dealership and check them both out in person. Hopefully this time I'll go a dealership that actually wants me to test drive their cars. Last time I dove 45 minutes to a VW dealership (in Norwood MA). They asked me when I was planning on purchasing and when I said in about a month they pretended that they didn't have any of the cars that I wanted to try (I could plainly see them in the lot) and said that they usually only let people test drive the cars when they are closer to buying. I guess that's what I get for being in my 20s, though that's really idiotic business, because it's not like I'm going to come back there when I actually do want to buy after being treated like that... Anyways, it's going to come down to a balance of:
-price
-love-at-first-sight factor
-driver seat comfort
-driving dynamics (I consider nimbleness, acceleration and braking as very important safety features)
-interior fit and finish and (perhaps perceived) build quality

I keep getting drawn to the GTI because I have this notion that it will be really fun to drive for me, but as I spend most of my time driving in Boston, that is for the most part impossible and the CC might win me over with better comfort, ride, and quietness. We'll see...

PENROSE

Go Kart Champion
Anyways, it's going to come down to a balance of:
-price
-love-at-first-sight factor
-driver seat comfort
-driving dynamics (I consider nimbleness, acceleration and braking as very important safety features)
-interior fit and finish and (perhaps perceived) build quality

Interior fit/finish is gonna be a tie

We told you about the driving dynamics (GTI=go cart..CC=luxury feel)

Drivers seat comfort is gonna be a tie

Love at first sight is gonna be the CC (although Im 40 and you're 20, so maybe GTI for you)

Price...well...a fully loaded GTI is around $31,000...a fully loaded CC is around $45,000:eek::eek:(thats the V6 and AWD). HOWEVER....the CC Sport I was looking at was about as "base" as you could get (sticker was like $28,500 with DSG), and it still was very nicely equipped with the 2.0T, and fake leather (they call it "leatherette" and its nice)