GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2013 Volt Review

From that last link:

MYTH: Each Volt Cost Taxpayers More Than $250,000 In Subsidies

In a CBS news brief, Ashley Morrison stated: "According to a new report, every car sold so far has cost taxpayers as much as two hundred and fifty thousand dollars." [CBS, CBS Morning News, 12/22/11, via Nexis]
Fox News promoted the figure on Fox & Friends, Special Report, and The Five (twice). Fox Business covered the figure in at least 9 segments. [Media Matters, 12/22/11] [Nexis search, 1/20/12]
Rush Limbaugh and numerous conservative blogs repeated the figure. [RushLimbaugh.com, 1/11/12] [HumanEvents.com, 1/7/12] [Washington Examiner, 1/23/12] [National Review Online, 12/21/11] [MichelleMalkin.com, 12/21/11] [Hot Air, 12/21/11]
FACT: Subsidy Estimate Was Based On Fuzzy Math

Estimate Includes Subsidies For Supplier Companies And Subsidies That Haven't Actually Been Distributed. The source of the claim that each Volt costs taxpayers $250,000 in subsidies is James Hohman of the Mackinac Center for Public Policy, a conservative think tank that has received money from fossil fuel interests. The estimate, which Hohman conceded was "simple math," included state and federal subsidies "via tax credits and direct funding for not only General Motors, but other companies supplying parts for the vehicle." It also included subsidies that the companies haven't yet received. Hohman divided that total by 6,000 - the number of Volts sold at the time. [Media Matters, 12/22/11]

Finance Writer: "Fundamental Flaw" In The Estimate "Discredits The Entire Report." Writing for TheStreet.com, Anton Wahlman - who said he is "totally opposed to government subsidies" -- stated that "there is a fundamental flaw behind the math in this 'report' that discredits the entire report straight down to zero, in my view." From his post:

Here is the point: Why divide whatever amount -- $1.5 billion or otherwise -- by the number of Chevrolet Volts sold to date? If he had done this study one year from now, when we could be looking at 60,000 Volts made, as GM repeatedly has promised, the headline number would be $25,000 per car-- not $250,000. You would divide the $1.5 billion by 60,000 instead of 6,000.

But why stop at a year from now? This investment in automotive propulsion technology is meant to be refined and influence generations of cars for decades. Some part of GM's Voltec architecture and techniques will drive sales of approximately 60 million cars over the next 25 years or so, in any reasonable estimation.

[...]

The absurdity of the math used can be further shown by asking what the study would have yielded if it had been done six months ago or a year ago. Six months ago, 3,000 Volts had been sold and therefore the implied subsidy was $500,000 per car -- half as many cars, twice the subsidy per car. One year ago, the first Volt was sold and therefore this one car must have cost $1.5 billion, according to the reasoning by the people who wrote the headlines around this study.

This is the way it works in almost every industry. The first iPad manufactured probably cost Apple $100 million or whatever. Does that mean Apple lost $100 million minus $500 on this iPad? Of course not. The development cost for any product is written off across large volumes, typically multiple generations, where both hardware and software accumulate constantly. [TheStreet.com, 12/22/11]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I take back everything I said about this piece of shit. Just wanted to let you know. I've had so many problems with this fucking thing that GM finally agreed to a buy back. 13 trips to the dealer for various issues, still many more issues ongoing. Drivetrain has been perfect, but the rest of the car is the worst I have ever experienced. Can't wait to get rid of it.

Living in Texas now and seriously considering a mk7 GTI. Roads are a lot nicer here so the ride quality issues I had in Ny would be nonexistent. I'd maybe do the stage I tune by APR but nothing suspension wise. Getting old and want better ride quality over all.

Just wanted to say hi and post that bit of info. Miss this forum. The volt forum is full of people that will attack anyone who admits to having issues. A select few feel my pain though.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
welcome back, dawg.

Mk7 looks quite nice, no doubt.

welcome back, dawg.

Mk7 looks quite nice, no doubt.

Glad to see you are still around sir. How've you been?

I haven't driven one yet, nor am I set on one. Just an idea in my head. Honestly I was going to go with the Toyota Highlander but it's a bit expensive and I have a feeling I'd get bored with that too. That and the speed limit is 70 here so people doing 80 during the morning commute is normal. Don't know if I want to go that fast in a big truck like that.

I don't know what I want yet. Have to drive things first. I had this idea in my head that I want smooth comfort and quiet with pep and cargo space. My mk6 fit most of that but I ruined it being so into modding. This time around I think either completely stock or tune and done. If I can get it in my head that it's just the way it's going to be, then maybe I'll be happy for a while at least.

zrickety

The Fixer
I like their trucks but gm is definitely behind on quality

Wife has a 13 Cruze though and aside from minor nav system glitches has been good to her.

Didn't think shopping for another car would be this hard. Might go with a jetta sportwagon diesel or stick with the highlander plan. I have no friggen idea.

The thought of the 15 gti is enticing but I'm worried about wanting to mod, especially in the Texas heat and doing an intercooler to help but where does it end? It's a slippery slope. At least into the the jsw I'm done after I buy it.

Decisions decisions.

mdhollis

Go Kart Champion
Wife has a 13 Cruze though and aside from minor nav system glitches has been good to her.

Didn't think shopping for another car would be this hard. Might go with a jetta sportwagon diesel or stick with the highlander plan. I have no friggen idea.

The thought of the 15 gti is enticing but I'm worried about wanting to mod, especially in the Texas heat and doing an intercooler to help but where does it end? It's a slippery slope. At least into the the jsw I'm done after I buy it.

Decisions decisions.

haha well that's the thing with these cars. The modding never ends, at least for me

haha well that's the thing with these cars. The modding never ends, at least for me

My mk6 was set up pretty nice. Spent a lot. Was fun though just got tired of the constant tweaking and the ride quality sucked on NY roads.

XGC75

Go Kart Champion
Good to see you back, but sorry to hear it's because of poor quality of the ride. I've only heard good things about the Volt until now.

FWIW, if you like the ride of the mk7, APR has published 316chp 381ctq for stage 1 in the mk7 GTI. Port flash, too, so no worries about fried ECU's.

Personally, I can't wait for the GTE. It's a GTI with a powertrain like a volt. 100hp motor supplemented by a 1.4L turbo. Good for 201hp and 258lb-ft. 30 mile all-electric range. It's not a performance star but it would be a perfect daily.

mdhollis

Go Kart Champion
My mk6 was set up pretty nice. Spent a lot. Was fun though just got tired of the constant tweaking and the ride quality sucked on NY roads.

I bought your downpipe, then sold it and bought a different one haha. We are sick humans. I have gone through a bunch of suspension mods. The B8's and dg springs is the absolute best combo I found for daily driving around here and also getting a considerable gain in the performance of the car.

Good to see you back, but sorry to hear it's because of poor quality of the ride. I've only heard good things about the Volt until now.

FWIW, if you like the ride of the mk7, APR has published 316chp 381ctq for stage 1 in the mk7 GTI. Port flash, too, so no worries about fried ECU's.

Personally, I can't wait for the GTE. It's a GTI with a powertrain like a volt. 100hp motor supplemented by a 1.4L turbo. Good for 201hp and 258lb-ft. 30 mile all-electric range. It's not a performance star but it would be a perfect daily.

I said the other day if GM wasn't the one who made the volt it would sell better and run better.

I bought your downpipe, then sold it and bought a different one haha. We are sick humans. I have gone through a bunch of suspension mods. The B8's and dg springs is the absolute best combo I found for daily driving around here and also getting a considerable gain in the performance of the car.

I remember that! Met you at Dicks. What happened with the AWE? Not enough power or did you have issues?

Thumper

Autocross Champion

You must live under a rock.....LOL

Welcome back from the dark side NoRegrets....lol....they had cookies, but they tasted like ass and vomit right? That's how it works.

Jetta SW TDI is attractive, and moddable....LOL....They are quick but my dream is still for the SUPER fast wagon, 400+ ft/lbs and have to do to much modding to get that there (wish they would put the v6 TDI from the Q in there as a blast option LOL).

I keep buying bigger turbos :iono:

Nice!

You must live under a rock.....LOL

Welcome back from the dark side NoRegrets....lol....they had cookies, but they tasted like ass and vomit right? That's how it works.

Jetta SW TDI is attractive, and moddable....LOL....They are quick but my dream is still for the SUPER fast wagon, 400+ ft/lbs and have to do to much modding to get that there (wish they would put the v6 TDI from the Q in there as a blast option LOL).

The cookies were absolutely delicious, but the food poisoning was god awful.

The problem with modding is the slippery slope. I always wind up ruining the daily drivability of the car one way or the other. I'm still trying to get something big and comfortable, not worried about fast. It's a bit more laid back down here.

The problem I have is part of me still wants something you don't see a million of on the road. The Passat is everywhere. I've seen only 2 sportwagons and only 4 GTIs since January here.

The other part of me still wants a truck, simply because I actually like driving them. Tiguan is out because I'm not a huge fan of the mini-utes, so I'm looking at a Highlander. I have to drive a bunch of stuff hopefully Saturday so we will see what happens.