GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What did you do to your MK6 2.5 today?

Wascally Wabbit1

Drag Racing Champion
Length. This adds about 8" to the intake. I was having horrible throttle response off idle. Starting off in first was a bitch as the rpm's jump all over the place. I think with the Intake so short the car was having issues controlling airflow going into the motor at low rpm. The only way to get any length on the intake tube was to route it up towards the back of the car as it's too far to the right to route it down below the driver's headlight. I also noticed IE had the air filter set up this way on one of their cars. I had some extra intake part lying around so I experimented and it made a huge difference with low-speed driving. It's night and day. Driving around town now is so much nicer. Solved about 90% of the driveability issues I have been fighting. I think If I could get another few inches it would be totally resolved but I don't want to get to close to the brake fluid reservoir. Your setup has a way longer intake tube than mine did as your running the stock manifold and the air filter is squatty like IE's.

Last edited:

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
WW, V1nn1e asked "the reason behind this" not me.

I Flashed back from IE Stage2 to IE Stage1 a few days ago, there is a night and day difference between the two as far as off idle performance. Off idle, it's like a hair trigger the Stage2 Tune revs too quickly with far more torque than required to start off smoothly and hard to modulate. You should contact IE and complain, they can easily adjust the Stage2 Tune limilters off idle to be closer to that of Stage1 off idle, that will help everyone and you won't have to run such a long intake pipe.

BTW The IE Powerlink V3 is great, I was using it with the old software that didn't have the new add-ons and didn't realize until V1nn1e and I had to load the IE Stage1 Tune on his Golf.

BTW Since you now have that 3 inch carbon fibre pipe, did you know that because carbon fibre is constructed of epoxy you can cut off the plastic bongs off the original VW 90 degree pipe and epoxy them to the 3 inch carbon fibre pipe. The bond will be surprisingly very strong and you can use it like the metal piece in the picture but without the rubber silicone coupler.

Last edited:

Wascally Wabbit1

Drag Racing Champion
Oh sorry. I thought you were asking for some reason.

I have already worked on this with IE. I am running a stage 2 that Peter at IE helped out with and is the same as stage 1 on the low end. When I went to stage 2 initially the car was damn near undrivable when trying to drive at low speeds so I talked to IE and and they tweaked it which made a huge difference but didn't solve the issues completely but I could easily live with the end result. Peter at IE was great and using their power link tool was awesome. Peter would tweak the tune, upload the new tune and I would install it via the power link tool. Super easy. It really was cool to be able to work like this and I really appreciated the time he took to help and answer all my questions. I am sure they would give you access to the version of stage 2 I am running if you want to experiment.

But over time I have changed the intake slightly and the issue has come back a bit and has been wearing on me as I spend 2 hours a day in stop and go traffic. Also, changing the shifter with the rev issue made it almost impossible to start off in 1st without chattering the clutch.
I am not knocking the short shifter, I absolutely love it but it takes a little getting used to. When I was at stage 1 with the USP intake the car drove perfectly but I believe it was because of the length on the USP intake. With the intake in it's current config it's pretty close. On occasion I still get a little rev when giving it gas but it quickly corrects itself and is a non-issue. It was usually more of an issue when it was hot outside so hopefully it doesn't cause me issues again in summer.

I will say the car had terrible throttle response when stock and I figured that was just the way it was.

I may still add another bend in the intake and run it like the AEM intake but I was trying to find the shortest possible length that resolves the issue. The conversation you guys were having about the AEM intake is really what got me thinking and then I remembered seeing a pic on IE's site somewhere where it is setup like mine is now.

I am sure this is why IE's intake has the short air filter with long intake tube. The length of my intake tube now is about the same as IE's CAI (and yours). My issue is the catch can is in the way of putting a squattier air filter on there and I'm not moving the catch can as it is in the perfect spot to get at to remove and clean only takes like 15 minutes.

Last edited:

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
Wascally Wabbit said:
......I am sure they would give you access to the version of stage 2 I am running if you want to experiment.
Thanks I may try that.

Wascally Wabbit said:
.... I am not knocking the short shifter, I absolutely love it but it takes a little getting used to.
Not getting this Short Shifter, I'm unconvinced it's a positive, sounds like a receipt for getting slower or making mistakes under stress.

Wascally Wabbit said:
...On occasion I still get a little rev when giving it gas but it quickly corrects itself and is a non-issue. It was usually more of an issue when it was hot outside so hopefully it doesn't cause me issues again in summer.
It may be the position of the MAP Sensor, in the Stock VW Intake Manifold the MAP Sensor is positioned so it is shrouded, on the IE Intake Manifold the MAP Sensor is catching turbulent air coming off the throttle butterfly as it opens, try rotating the Throttle Body 90 degrees to see.

Wascally Wabbit said:
....I will say the car had terrible throttle response when stock and I figured that was just the way it was.
IMO The Golf has never had terrible throttle response, you may have bought the car with a bummed Throttle Body. Matter of fact, considering that it is the runt of the litter, throttle response is better than the TSI cars.

Wascally Wabbit said:
.... I'm not moving the catch can as it is in the perfect spot to get at to remove and clean only takes like 15 minutes.
I tried that when it's cold its a pain in the a$$! I said it before, if and when I get one of these I'm going to tap a 3/4 inch vacuum vent for the stock PCV. IMO the catch can on the 2.5 with low compression and no carbon build up is of no use.

Last edited:

Wascally Wabbit1

Drag Racing Champion
Not getting this Short Shifter, I'm unconvinced it's a positive, sounds like a receipt for getting slower or making mistakes under stress.

It's not for everyone I guess. I love it. Reminds me of driving my buddies 911.

I tried that when it's cold its a pain in the a$$! I said it before, if and when I get one of these I'm going to tap a 3/4 inch vacuum vent for the stock PCV. IMO the catch can on the 2.5 with low compression and no carbon build up is of no use.

You have a PCV so it's a non issue. If you're not using a PCV I think a catch can is manditory. IE doesn't in their video which is fine for a dyno pull but otherwise you would be sucking massive amounts of vapor and oil into the intake. It would be a very unwise move to run PCV-less and no catch can. The key is buying a good catch can designed for automotive use. The build your own route may be fine for a cheap alternative but the trade off is it's a pain in the ass to clean.

Last edited:

KollinWithaK

Autocross Champion
I will, asap. Whats your thoughts on USP high flow cat and light weight crank pulley. Trying to decide if I wanna make these my next mods.

Sent from my ANE-LX3 using Tapatalk

Can't speak from experience but I know that people absolutely love the pulley. Everyone I've talked to says it makes a difference. I'll be picking one up shortly. As far as the high flow cat, I only know one person with it, and his car and obnoxiously loud.

I'm looking into intakes and was seeing if anyone has any recommendations? I was gonna pull the trigger on the USP motorsports one, but I'm worried about hydrolocking (missing some fender liner from an accident, and don't know how it'll fit with the Spyder headlights since they take up a bit more real estate than stock). I was also looking into the P-flo one, and the IE one, but these aren't true cold airs and was wondering if they really made any difference (as much as an intake normally would anyways). Also the AFE one is interesting because of the heat shield.

Edit: Or should I just build one similar to Mlue and wrap it in some fiberglass heat/exhaust wrap to help prevent heat soak? Summers down here in FL can be brutally warm.

Last edited:

v1nn1e

Go Kart Newbie
Can't speak from experience but I know that people absolutely love the pulley. Everyone I've talked to says it makes a difference. I'll be picking one up shortly. As far as the high flow cat, I only know one person with it, and his car and obnoxiously loud.

I'm looking into intakes and was seeing if anyone has any recommendations? I was gonna pull the trigger on the USP motorsports one, but I'm worried about hydrolocking (missing some fender liner from an accident, and don't know how it'll fit with the Spyder headlights since they take up a bit more real estate than stock). I was also looking into the P-flo one, and the IE one, but these aren't true cold airs and was wondering if they really made any difference (as much as an intake normally would anyways). Also the AFE one is interesting because of the heat shield.

Edit: Or should I just build one similar to Mlue and wrap it in some fiberglass heat/exhaust wrap to help prevent heat soak? Summers down here in FL can be brutally warm.
Where are you going to get the pulley? I know there is a light weight one from esctuning. It was like 50 dollars usd when it was on big sale. There is another one, like fluid damper from Audi ttrs, which cost like 450. As for the CAI, I have Apr carbonio, no hydrolocking. But for the money, I would build the one MLue has. It's so easy to change the filter. I hate taking my wheel off every time just to get to the filter.

Wascally Wabbit1

Drag Racing Champion
Can't speak to the pulley or cat but I had the USP intake and like it but I had to remove it when I added the intake manifold. The bottom, well top but it's upside down, pretty much sits on the plastic bottom liner to give you an idea of how low it sits. You'd have to run through some big puddles. Basically about door height. The only thing I didn't care for was the intake knocked against the frame at times and the filter got pretty dirty pretty fast because of the location by the wheel.

Last edited:

KollinWithaK

Autocross Champion
Where are you going to get the pulley? I know there is a light weight one from esctuning. It was like 50 dollars usd when it was on big sale. There is another one, like fluid damper from Audi ttrs, which cost like 450. As for the CAI, I have Apr carbonio, no hydrolocking. But for the money, I would build the one MLue has. It's so easy to change the filter. I hate taking my wheel off every time just to get to the filter.

This one.

If you ever decide to get rid of that Carbonio let me know, would be interested.

Can't speak to the pulley or cat but I had the USP intake and like it but I had to remove it when I added the intake manifold. The bottom, well top but it's upside down, pretty much sits on the plastic bottom liner to give you an idea of how low it sits. You'd have to run through some big puddles. Basically about door height. The only thing I didn't care for was the intake knocked against the frame at times and the filter got pretty dirty pretty fast because of the location by the wheel.

Won't be buying a new manifold. I've got no bottom liner because I've got a splitter that acts as a street shield as well so I guess I don't really need to worry about that.

Wascally Wabbit1

Drag Racing Champion
Won't be buying a new manifold. I've got no bottom liner because I've got a splitter that acts as a street shield as well so I guess I don't really need to worry about that.

So the air filter sits in front of the driver side wheel. If you don't have anything under it, or it's very open, it will get filthy especially if it rains. I have everything enclosed very well and when it rained the filter got pretty wet. A filter rain cover would be a good investment if you go that route.

Naffy

Passed Driver's Ed
For those with aftermarket intake pipe that is not IE's, where are you routing the PCV to if still using pcv? I had IE's manifold but a hacked up usp pipe (didnt fit with manifold, had to cut it so it is now a short ram intake) but there's no bung for pcv. Went to shop to see if they could weld one, but they said the metal is too thin and their welder would blow right through it.