GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Cold Start + Normal RPM = Weird?

lilfleck

Go Kart Champion
Intermittently, I will start the car (cold outside; NJ winter), and the car will idle at the normal RPM as if it were warm. Normally (even during the summer), our cars will rev to about 1200RPM for a solid 30-40 seconds before slowly leveling out.

Anyone else experience this?

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
Intermittently, I will start the car (cold outside; NJ winter), and the car will idle at the normal RPM as if it were warm. Normally (even during the summer), our cars will rev to about 1200RPM for a solid 30-40 seconds before slowly leveling out.

Anyone else experience this?

Happened to me once or twice. The ECU goes through its own checks often times and obviously, in this case, it thought it was fine to handle the startup load at a normal RPM. I wrote it off as a quirk.

TRUboost

Go Kart Champion
Happened to me once or twice. The ECU goes through its own checks often times and obviously, in this case, it thought it was fine to handle the startup load at a normal RPM. I wrote it off as a quirk.

This. The ECU is a wasteland of things us mortals are not meant to understand lol.

Just like my headlight start up sequence which only works 20-30% of the time.

SkullV

Thunderbunny.....
I hate this ECU :(

mkvince

Go Kart Champion
Happened to me many times. Mostly when the AC/Heater is automatically on when I turn on the car.

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
This. The ECU is a wasteland of things us mortals are not meant to understand lol.

Agreed. TOo many bugs to sort out sometimes. But that's the nature of German "over complication" of systems.

I noticed a huge difference in working for Mercedes then changing to Honda. Same idea.......waaaaaayyyyyyyy different design principles.

I hate this ECU :(

I love it for what it can do, but I do agree....its too "quirky" to really justify stepping outside the OEM realms.

my car idles down when my egt's reach 700 degrees. i ♥ my p3 gauge.

As it should. Standard procedure. But this case is just a "bug" that happens every so often. I'd almost like to see the ECU's readiness checks and startup sections to see if it actually was thinking it was warm when started.

TurtleJames

Go Kart Champion
Yup, happens to me also from time to time. I'm happy when it does. No car pee shivers for me!

lilfleck

Go Kart Champion
Whew, glad I'm not the only one. Thought I was imagining things.

Just like women.

I hear you on the headlight start up sequence. I love when they dance, but I can't make them dance when I want them. Damnit, even more like a woman.

CMD

Ready to race!
I've also experienced this on occasion and wondered if all was ok. From the sounds of it, just another German quirk to love

Mceric01

Ready to race!
Funny thing. Today is the first time that's ever happened to me. 39 degrees F out this morning. Completely cold start. I was worried but now I feel better!

DonC@DriveSPM

Ready to race!
If your parking brake is still on, the lights still go through the motions, but the lights aren't actually on.

Edit - someone might want to double check my statement :)