GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Strange new engine noise! Could you help me identify it?

decrescendo

Ready to race!
I have around 39k on my 2011 DSG. I was at home over Thanksgiving, popped open the hood, and heard some strange metal-on-metal-sounding noises. I took two videos and uploaded them to YouTube.

Could you guys help me identify this so I'm a little smarter when I take it to the dealer? I'm due for my 40k service and I'm trying to understand what I need to ask the dealer to do and what I can do myself. This engine noise could be a doozy, though.

This one started right as the engine did:
http://youtu.be/Jf97kI9NUEU

After a few minutes, the sounded changed to this:
http://youtu.be/WgdD9lSFAGM

dopoz

Passed Driver's Ed
What general area is this sound coming from? In the second video, it seemed strongest near the intake manifold, in which case a good thing to consider is if one of the check valves in the PCV system is acting up.

decrescendo

Ready to race!
What general area is this sound coming from? In the second video, it seemed strongest near the intake manifold, in which case a good thing to consider is if one of the check valves in the PCV system is acting up.

It very well could be. I couldn't determine a specific location.

Could those valves conceivable flutter and make that ticking noise?

Could it be a timing chain issue?

07STitoR

Ready to race!
That sounds normal to me also.

Edit: Just fired my R up the ticking is a little slower than yours and the ticking sounds different.

Last edited:

decrescendo

Ready to race!
So I went to the dealer and they confirmed 2 things:

- Video #1 is the injectors
- Video #2 is the N80 EVAP Purge Valve

They said they sometimes get complaints about that noise and end up changing the N80 out for people who cannot stand it. Apparently the N80 can get even louder when it gets worn out and it typically makes the noise in video #2 a min or two after start-up and that's exactly when it was filmed.

MikeS

I thought I heard the sound of a bad alternator bearing or idler pulley bearing. Other than that sounds normal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheAire

Passed Driver's Ed
I've had the same noises for a long time. I've read the N80 ticking is a good sign that the PCV is working properly so I just left it alone.

Just my $0.02 Enjoy