GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Bluetooth Audio headunit onscreen controls and song info issue

Deaks2

Ready to race!
My 2011 GTI came with an RCD-510 radio (1K0 035 180 AC) and 9W7 BT module (5K0 035 730). This combination supported BT telephone and BT audio, but only via voice command. The onscreen BT audio controls were greyed out.

I recently got my hands on a Euro RCD-510 radio (5K0 035 190 A) which supports more than 2048 files on an SD card, has the darker Highline colour scheme, and has the phone button (like the newer US 1K0 035 180 AE and AF models). However, with my original BT module (5K0 035 730) I still did not get onscreen BT audio controls or song information.

To test my BT module I swapped it with the module that came in a 2012 GTI equiped with OE NAV (RNS-510), and as soon as I paired my iPhone 4S (iOS 6.x) the onscreen BT audio controls lit up and the song info was showing. I neglected to check what the part number was of this BT module...

Yesterday, I got my dealership to replace my original 9W7 BT module (5K0 035 730) with the latest variant, 5K0 035 730 G, as I had been experiencing the phantom ring. Unfortunately, the onscreen BT audio controls and song information are not working with the brand new module.

Using VCDS I looked over the coding of the 9W7 G module that was recently installed and could not find anything that would explain why it is not sending the data to the RCD-510. I am going to try swapping my BT module with another 2012 GTI and seeing what happens.

Edit: Replaced with 9W7 E and everything works fine.

Last edited:

racermp

Ready to race!
Hey. I know this is old but were you able to find out how to get the controls via vcds? Thanks for any info

Deaks2

Ready to race!
Had to change the BT module to the 2012+ part.

sskamboj

Ready to race!
+1, could you supply the part number for the bluetooth module? I have a '13 and am looking to put in a RCD-510 for this purpose and would love to know if it will work ahead of time. Thanks in advance.