GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Dogbone Install

speeding_ant

Go Kart Newbie
Hey all... have some issues installing a powerflex dogbone insert into my 2011 GTI. The tolerances are really tight, and when the insert is put in it the threads for the other side go out of alignment and the bolt won't insert correctly.

Is this normal? Or should I go for an OEM bush from a high specced car and forget the insert?

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
you have to install dogbone insterts mostly with the bolt in. If you take the bolt out before you slide it 3/4 of the way up it just shifts around and you cant line the bolt/threads up anymore.

So you keep the bolt in... get it as far up as you can in there... then undo the bolt slide it the rest of the way up (its a major PITA) then rebolt back up.

I got frustrated trying to do a poly insert that i just ripped it out and put in the 034 billet insert. It slid right in was a 2 minutes job. Where as with the poly insert i was messing around trying to force it in for like a hour before i gave up and yanked it out.

Get a new bolt for it as they are stretch bolts and shouldnt be re-used.

The only down side to doing inserts is it can cause extra stress on your actual mount and some peoples mounts have broken. Im going to change the actual mount soon just because

Last edited:

speeding_ant

Go Kart Newbie
Ah yep - that makes sense. Is there an uprated dogbone bush from the R / S3 that would fit? Perhaps that's a better option to get OEM+ if it exists?

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
Ah yep - that makes sense. Is there an uprated dogbone bush from the R / S3 that would fit? Perhaps that's a better option to get OEM+ if it exists?

im not sure about OEM upgrade.
Some people use pucks it replaces the whole screw mounting thing into a solid piece instead of using a insert to fill in the gaps.

Little more work because you need to drop the subframe and use a press to press the mounts out/in.

this is the 034 billet insert that i have (bellow) its not 100% void free but its metal so it doesnt have any play and it stiffened up the slop i was having with the dsg sometimes.
And literally took me 4 minutes to install. Unbolt old bolt (discard) put mount in and bolt in new stretch bolt. Done.

smanierre

Autocross Champion
im not sure about OEM upgrade.
Some people use pucks it replaces the whole screw mounting thing into a solid piece instead of using a insert to fill in the gaps.

Little more work because you need to drop the subframe and use a press to press the mounts out/in.

this is the 034 billet insert that i have (bellow) its not 100% void free but its metal so it doesnt have any play and it stiffened up the slop i was having with the dsg sometimes.
And literally took me 4 minutes to install. Unbolt old bolt (discard) put mount in and bolt in new stretch bolt. Done.

I have the red HPA puck and unless I did it wrong, I didn't have to drop the subframe. Getting the old rubber mount out was a pain in the ass. I ended up using a jack to wedge a screwdriver between the subframe and the mount and just breaking it all the way around, then just used the bolt to pull the puck all the way up into position, took about an hour and a few busted knuckles when the screwdriver slipped.

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
I have the red HPA puck and unless I did it wrong, I didn't have to drop the subframe. Getting the old rubber mount out was a pain in the ass. I ended up using a jack to wedge a screwdriver between the subframe and the mount and just breaking it all the way around, then just used the bolt to pull the puck all the way up into position, took about an hour and a few busted knuckles when the screwdriver slipped.

Maybe im thinking of the top mount portion for dropping the subframe. I forget most people only do the bottom puck.