GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Any Track Rats Still Active?

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
Yeah I have a rennline extinguisher on the passenger seat. Doesn't bother most passengers honestly. Only downside is the price. I got the quick release harness for it as well which made the cost add up more.

Along the passenger side column is not a good spot unless it's a racecar and you have removed the airbags. In an accident where the knee airbags deploy you'll end up hurting your passenger with the extinguisher. You want to make sure it's not going to become a sledge hammer from the airbag deploying which is why people mount them in front of the seat.

Another important thing to consider is they type of extinguisher you buy. You may end up spraying your engine one day, some of the chemical agents in fire extinguishers are highly corrosive and will end up eating through your engine if it's sprayed on it kind of defeating the purpose.

I did spend way more than I wanted to on a fire extinguisher... one problem I have is that I over research just about everything. After reading some horror stories about people spraying their engine and ending up having to buy a new engine for a simple electrical fire. Just decided to go with something that won't harm anything in the event it actually has to be used. Figured the investment may pay for itself one day (hopefully not). I'm likely going to add a fire suppression system using a dump switch that sprays the passenger compartment along with the engine bay in addition to the rennline mount. Can't be too careful with fire.

Some highlights from rennline on their kit.

HalGuard™ is no ordinary automotive fire extinguisher. It contains Halotron 1®, electrically non-conductive "clean" extinguishing agent that rapidly turns into a gas. Halotron 1® has passed extensive testing by Underwriters Laboratories, and meets FAA requirements. It can be found on commercial aircraft, and is used by airport fire fighters and on the flight line.

No thermal shock to electronics
No mess or damage to vehicle or surfaces
Liquefied gas extinguishes hard-to-reach fires
Does not impair operator's vision
EPA approved
Listed and rated by Underwriters Laboratories
Rechargeable
Made in U.S.A.
Steel strap mounting bracket
6' - 10' discharge range (HG250C, HG250B, HG250R)
High quality steel cylinders
All metal valve construction
Compact, lightweight, easy to use
Five year limited warranty on hand held and wheeled fire extinguishers
UL Rated 2B:C (HG250C, HG250B, HG250R)
UL Rated 1A:10B:C (MX250C, MX250B, MX250R)

BoostedVW11

Drag Racing Champion
good info above^

Looks like im going rennline halguard™ extinguisher at the very least. universal mounts not looking promising...probably end up full rennline kit lol

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
Had a ride in Jay's car, I'm not a small dude, and the extinguisher wasn't in the way.

It's actually the smaller passengers that even notice it at all. The bigger you are the more knee clearance you have over the seat. People with short legs tend to rest on the extinguisher. I've had a few people get their clothes hung up on it, so I warn people of it now. Oh well. #racecar.

BoostedVW11

Drag Racing Champion
Had a ride in Jay's car, I'm not a small dude, and the extinguisher wasn't in the way.

i could be wrong but i think its more of an issue for shorter people...cause small legs dont clear it :iono:

correct me if im wrong forums

DASVDUB

Drag Racing Champion
It's actually the smaller passengers that even notice it at all. The bigger you are the more knee clearance you have over the seat. People with short legs tend to rest on the extinguisher. I've had a few people get their clothes hung up on it, so I warn people of it now. Oh well. #racecar.

wow yeah, that makes sense.

Eowyn89

So I recently bought a new toy - an E36 M3 - to replace my GTI (aka Éowyn) as my weekend/show car and want to finish turning Éowyn into a street legal track car since I've already done a bunch of track-related mods to her. I already searched the forum, but I didn't find much on what racing seats folks use. Anyone in this group have recommendations? I'd prefer something that isn't too firm/stiff/rough since I'll still be driving to and from track events. Thanks!

DASVDUB

Drag Racing Champion
So I recently bought a new toy - an E36 M3 - to replace my GTI (aka Éowyn) as my weekend/show car and want to finish turning Éowyn into a street legal track car since I've already done a bunch of track-related mods to her. I already searched the forum, but I didn't find much on what racing seats folks use. Anyone in this group have recommendations? I'd prefer something that isn't too firm/stiff/rough since I'll still be driving to and from track events. Thanks!

When I get some eventually they will be Sparco's. I know lots of people that love theirs.

Roadrunner_GTI

Drag Racing Champion

E36 M3 should be fun on track, it's too bad we didn't get the Euro-spec version here in the states though. :cry:

Curious to know how the GTI compares on track. My track day dream car is the Z3M Coupe. Got to drive one last year and fell in love.