GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Reseal Valve Cover/ Cam girdle, what else to do?

mistaleungg

Go Kart Newbie
My car is 72000KM / 45000 miles at the moment.
The car is stage 2 and I will be keeping the car for quite a long time, at least for another 5 years.
I find out there is a constant oil leakage around the valve cover.

After researching, it seems the job will involve the removal of timing chain cover. So shall I replace the timing chain tensioner as well? I saw there is an ultimate timing chain kit on ECSTUNING, but it will costs more and more labour time.

Moreover, since the car is modded, is there a stronger sealant than the VW green sealant which will lasts longer?

Thank you in advance.

mistaleungg

Go Kart Newbie
Bump Bump

Dans GTI

Ready to race!
How bad is the oil leak? Its possible the leaking girdle could be due to a different oil leak.

My car was seeping oil pretty badly but after i fixed the leaking upper timing cover gasket and cam shaft gasket the oil seepage virtually stopped. (my guess is those leaks caused a vacuum issue?)

That said, a little seepage is "normal" and you shouldn't get it re-sealed until it gets pretty bad.

If your a pre 2013 model it would be good to get you timing chain tensioner inspected, as you could have a faulty one. At 45k miles there would be no point in replacing the chains, chains would not be stretched at that mileage.

mistaleungg

Go Kart Newbie
How bad is the oil leak? Its possible the leaking girdle could be due to a different oil leak.

My car was seeping oil pretty badly but after i fixed the leaking upper timing cover gasket and cam shaft gasket the oil seepage virtually stopped. (my guess is those leaks caused a vacuum issue?)

That said, a little seepage is "normal" and you shouldn't get it re-sealed until it gets pretty bad.

If your a pre 2013 model it would be good to get you timing chain tensioner inspected, as you could have a faulty one. At 45k miles there would be no point in replacing the chains, chains would not be stretched at that mileage.

Thanks for your input.
My leakage is pretty bad. I cleaned up the engine bay last week, and the other day it came back after a short trip.

By cam shaft gasket, do you mean the cam shaft sensor?
Where is the timing chain tensioner located at, can i gain access through the upper timing chain or the lower one?

Right now I am considering resealing the cam girdle, replacing the cam shaft sensor, an update timing chain tensioner, timing chain gasket, maybe a new timing chain cover if needed.

Anything that i may need too?

Last edited:

Dans GTI

Ready to race!
Thats exactly how my engine looked i also thought it was my cam girdle leaking, it looks like your upper timing cover gasket is leaking. You can see a lot of oil around the gasket. Unless you made that mess your self.

Im talking about the magnetic cam shaft adjuster gasket, its on the front of the upper timing cover.

To remove the lower timing chain tensioner (the one that normally fails) you have to remove the lower timing cover, but there is a inspection hole you can remove to inspect the timing chain.

zef

Drag Racing Champion
Wanted to bump this thread since I am having a similar issue.

Getting lots of oil "residue" on the back of the cam cover. Also pulled out a coil pack and saw this...

More evidence of a bad seal?

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion
Wanted to bump this thread since I am having a similar issue.

Getting lots of oil "residue" on the back of the cam cover. Also pulled out a coil pack and saw this...

More evidence of a bad seal?

Is oil pooling up inside? A little oil residue probably shouldnt be a big deal since the cam cover gasket likes to weep a little. The upper timing cover can contribute to a lot of leaks too. Did mine recently and it solved my oil leak issues.

zef

Drag Racing Champion
Is oil pooling up inside? A little oil residue probably shouldnt be a big deal since the cam cover gasket likes to weep a little. The upper timing cover can contribute to a lot of leaks too. Did mine recently and it solved my oil leak issues.

I honestly have no idea what it is... it's has an almost chalky texture. But there's definitely something building up around the ring.

My wallet has to recover from my recent ko4 install, so I'll definitely add this to the list once it does.

DarienMidnight

Ready to race!
Just got new oil cap and oil change as well as new o2 sensor ....my performance shop told me my Cam girdle was seeping oil and leaking from the Diverter valve? You can never win in life smh. They told me it wasn't serious just keep on eye on it ...now I can't sleep

. That being said from reading what you guys posted I might as well do timing chain tensionor or w.e done also since I'm a 2012 model .

These parts such as timing chain ...tensioner ...DV...cam girdle ...are there stronger aftermarket parts ?