GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Stratified Flash Tunes Released for the MK6 GTI

pdan

Ready to race!
The higher the fuel trim the leaner the car is running when following the base map. The fuel trim is what is correcting that, or at least attempting to. Have you checked all your connections. Could be a vacuum/boost leak that is causing that. When you said back to 1.5/1.6, what are you referencing there? If those are your fuel trims then I would think that is a huge issue.

I have a suspicion that I have a boost or vacuum leak because I popped p0491 yesterday and today. And I’m measuring LTFT, when I get on the throttle to start moving it drops from 1.20 to 1.05/1.06 sorry, decimal places make a huge difference ha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

smanierre

Autocross Champion
I have a suspicion that I have a boost or vacuum leak because I popped p0491 yesterday and today. And I’m measuring LTFT, when I get on the throttle to start moving it drops from 1.20 to 1.05/1.06 sorry, decimal places make a huge difference ha.

Ok lol, those are much much better numbers. Take a look at the short term trims. My theory is if it's a leak after the turbo, you'll run lean at idle/cruise since there is still vacuum, but once you start boosting you should run rich as the vacuum leak turns into a boost leak. The STFTs should drop down below 1 on a pull if its a boost leak. If that makes sense.

pdan

Ready to race!
Well sometimes it might be the simplest things. I hope it is this time ha. I went digging around and found that the hose that leads off my SAI was not connected to whatever hose this was. I started it up and felt a massive vacuum when I put my hand over it. Sure enough I went back in and had the code again. Attached it back, cleared the code and my idle seems to be back around 1.05. Hoping it stays that way. A little difficult to see.

Alex@Stratified

Go Kart Newbie
Since these cars are MAF based any leaks past the MAF will throw off fueling and really every calculation in the ECU so it is very important to make sure there are no air leaks.

Exhaust leaks can also throw off the O2 sensor readings and are secondary to air leaks as a potential issue.

vermontmk6

Passed Driver's Ed
Wanted to share an update to my Stratified story.

In April I bought a COBB AP and cold-air intake.
The OTS COBB map was a hot mess, but definitely more powerful than stock.
Because of the issues with the COBB map, I ordered a low-torque Stratified tune. Stock clutch started to go. Thanks Lionspaz, whoever you are!
Still throwing codes, never felt 100% right.

P0101 Mass of volumetric Air flow Circ. Range/Performance.
P2177 System too lean off idle, Bank 1
Other codes I don't remember

In goes a Treadstone air straightener, GFB DV+, and PCV was replaced. Took weeks to learn about the air straightener, far too long.

Then I was away for much of the summer, nothing got done. I never got the second MAF calibration tune.

Last month I replaced the clutch with RSR w/ flywheel, and added COBB turbo-back exhaust. Other mods were a Diesel Geek short shifter and a set of Pilot Sport 4S tires. Both have changed the car on their own, although I had to take the tires off as it's 30F at night and Michelin lawyers make it seem stupid to keep them on any longer, even though I wanted ONE DAY with a clean tune with the new exhaust and clutch. Oh well, spring is only six months away, plenty of time to research turbo and suspension upgrades in front of the wood stove.

The Stratified ordering process leaves a lot to be desired, and my mid-September order hung in limbo for several weeks. One of the revised tunes threw my car into limp mode. Turns out I didn't correctly fill out the tuning form with my upgrades. You MUST get the Google Form filled out correctly with your complete list of mods, and it's pretty easy to mess that up. I included my mod list in at least five emails, and I kept getting incorrect tunes emailed to me.

The air straightener is considered a mod, which I didn't find out until today. That sucked.

Couple of revisions later, and we're almost there. In the middle were some tunes ranging from poor to ok. Now that they have the full list of my mods, I'm going to do a WOT log tomorrow and hopefully get this sorted out in the next week or so.

In general, the responses from Stratified were courteous , often confusing, referenced incorrect orders, or poorly worded, leaving me not knowing what was happening next.

I have to say that with all of the miscommunication (on both ends to be sure, I'm no genius) and the sub-par ordering process, both parties have been patient and reasonable. Live and learn, it's business, and customer support is never easy.

They are now super-responsive, in part I'm sure to get me off their back.

A while back I was thinking I was an idiot for not going to the dealer to have all the APR stuff bolted on, and drive away a day later with a much lighter wallet. That would have saved me many hours and a few dollars, but I'm glad I didn't do that, because I trust that Alex and the guys will get me sorted out soon, and the gains, even the ones I've felt with an incorrect tune, are far superior to the OTS COBB tunes, which are fine for most people. Same for the APR-in-a-box setup, it works for fine many people who don't want to spend the time and effort to get the perfect tune for their car.

Thanks to Stratified and everyone in the forums who have offered advice and shared their experiences with this process.

Looking forward to posting again once this is all wrapped up!

vermontmk6

Passed Driver's Ed
I received this today, and am trying to figure out what it means.

"The fuel trims are added together. So the combination of short and long term fuel trims should not exceed about +/-7%."

Let's say my STFT trim readings range from -.90 to +1.25. What is the measurement scale, as in 1.25 of what? Is that even the right way to ask the question?

How do I convert these numbers into a percentage to see if it's within acceptable range?

Seems like I'm missing something obvious here.

COBB datalogging for Subarus mention logging "A/F Learning 1", which reports as percentages. But I don't see any reference to this for GTI's. Do I need to log something else that reports in percentages?

smanierre

Autocross Champion
1.25 means the engine is adding 25% more fuel than the map is requesting, my initial guess would be post maf pre turbo leak. .90 means it's pulling back on fueling by 10%, initial guess would be post turbo leak, or if you have meth then you're spraying enough to offset some of the fuel needed, but that's not the case for most people. Ideally though you'd want to be at 1 for both short and long.

When he says they are added, say that your long term fuel trim LTFT is 1.06 and your short term fuel trim STFT is .94. Effectively they are +6 and -6 so when you add the you would get 1 and everything would be ok. The STFT updates really fast though so it would be harder to tell what they are adding to without logs. Hopefully this all makes sense

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

brobst

Go Kart Champion
You ltft should settle after enough miles to pretty close to 1.00. If you see more than 5% (0.05+-) consistently in ltft, there is probably some issue that needs to be addressed. I.e., a tune adjustment or hardware leak
Stft move a lot because pedal position changes a lot as you drive

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

MmmmmBoost

Ready to race!
So I think my refinements are done, had 3 revisions with Jared and everything looks good, waiting to hear back if theres any more room for power. 24 hour turnaround time or less from sending in logs to getting files back. Really happy with Stratifieds customer service.

Ive attached my latest datalog below for anyone that wants to compare or check out.

MK6 GTI DSG Stage 2:
ARM Intercooler
GFB DV+
R8 Coilpacks and NGK Plugs
CTS Catted DP
ECS Intake
Uni Stage 2 DSG Tune

Datalog:

https://datazap.me/u/akash95/mk6-gt...-rev-3arm-intercoolerdv run-3?log=0&data=5-24

ksandman

Ready to race!
So I think my refinements are done, had 3 revisions with Jared and everything looks good, waiting to hear back if theres any more room for power. 24 hour turnaround time or less from sending in logs to getting files back. Really happy with Stratifieds customer service.

Ive attached my latest datalog below for anyone that wants to compare or check out.

MK6 GTI DSG Stage 2:
ARM Intercooler
GFB DV+
R8 Coilpacks and NGK Plugs
CTS Catted DP
ECS Intake
Uni Stage 2 DSG Tune

Datalog:

https://datazap.me/u/akash95/mk6-gt...-rev-3arm-intercoolerdv run-3?log=0&data=5-24

How is the arm intercooler performing?

DallasDub94

Go Kart Newbie

I have a ARM fmic here in Texas. It performs ok, iats still running 30-50 degrees above ambient even in this cooler weather. But I attribute that to my setup. Running a ported stock turbo w/ forge wga and IE intake manifold, creates a lot of heat and heat soak. 23 psi on tiny turbo + metal intake manifold = lots of heat.

It's ideal for a wmi setup which is the route I'm going. Down here I'd run a larger stock location IC if you don't plan on wmi. It's probably sufficient up north where it's always cooler.

MmmmmBoost

Ready to race!

It's pretty good so far, I'll probably do the OEM delete in the summer but for now my iat are anywhere from 5 degrees above ambient to max 15. I definitely see iat drop in my logs, compared to my friends logs with the exact same setup as me, his IAT's tend to rise more.

DallasDub94

Go Kart Newbie
It's pretty good so far, I'll probably do the OEM delete in the summer but for now my iat are anywhere from 5 degrees above ambient to max 15. I definitely see iat drop in my logs, compared to my friends logs with the exact same setup as me, his IAT's tend to rise more.

Cooler climate must be nice lol

theclutch

Go Kart Newbie
So I think my refinements are done, had 3 revisions with Jared and everything looks good, waiting to hear back if theres any more room for power. 24 hour turnaround time or less from sending in logs to getting files back.....

...REALLY???

Last edited: