GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Volkswagen GTI / Golf Topics > GTI & Golf MKVI General Discussions

Old 05-03-2016, 03:27 PM   #1
Tech72
Rally Car Newbie

Drives: MkVI GTI 4-DR Black DSG
Which Generation GTI Reigns Supreme?

The GTI has been with us for 40 years and 7 generations, modernizing with the times, but (mostly) staying true to its original mission of being uncompromisingly fun and practical. It's an icon, but of the seven iterations built, which generation is the best? Carfection has an opinion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-eF3JNFNLM
Old 05-03-2016, 03:50 PM   #2
sterkrazzy
Formula 5000 Champion

Drives: mk6 gti
Bastards hating on the mk4, and has no mention of the 20th anni or 337 or 12v/24v.

Mk5 is my least favorite GTI though, I don't like them at all. I had a mk4 when the mk5s came out, and I actually quit following VW for a while after that. Then I had no idea the mk6s were out and I saw one driving down the road one day, and I knew I had to have one.
Mk6 CSG GTI 6sp | Stratified Tuned | Sachs SRE Stage 2 Clutch | DG SS | Raceseng Ashiko Heavy Shift Knob | Integrated Engineering CAI | CTS Turboback | GFB DV+ | Neuspeed RSe52's + Intercooler | Michelin PSS | 034 RSB + Upper Strut Mounts + Street Density Motor Mounts + Locking Collars | Eibach Pro-Street-S Coils | Energy Suspension Dogbone Insert | Fluidampr Pulley | Tyrolsport Stage 2 Hatch Brace | Stoptech Slotted Rotors
sterkrazzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 05:14 PM   #3
luvdagators
FIA GT Champion

Drives: 13 CW Autobahn GTI (o\!/o)
Thanks for posting this, enjoyed the video
I agree with most of the review. I have owned a mk2 16 valve gti and loved the car and regret I ever let it go.
Currently own a mk4 gti. Love the car nice 1.8t engine never failed me at 160k but the interiors of these cars are shit. Terrible leaking sunroofs, sagging headliners, doorcards complete interior trash.
Love my mk6 autobahn gti to death....No complaints
I know the mk7 is a nice car upgraded from mk6 so...........
Ranking them I will go with..........
Mk2
Mk1
Mk6 and Mk7 Tied
Mk5
Mk4
Mk3 is dead last
Mk3 worst of the bunch for me
Just my humble opinion
luvdagators is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 05:25 PM   #4
stucky
Formula 5000 Champion

Drives: 12' 4 dr 6sp Man Autobahn. BUH LAK
The mK5 is a PIVOTAL car. I had one for nearly 2 years and it was a bit of a headache maintenance wise, but I will never forget how that car opened my eyes to a properly sorted fwd machine. The mk5 can happily trudge along in 2016 as a properly modern sophisticated car, STILL.

The mk6 and mk7 would not be the great cars they are, if it wasn't for the mk5.
stucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 06:29 PM   #5
zrickety
Formula 2 Driver

Drives: 10 GTI CSG DSG K04 4DR 153k+
The mk6 is just a cheaper, re-skinned mk5. So on that, the mk7 does not impress me. The PP with LSD is cool but anyone can add those to any gen. The mk4 started things for me and the 5 was better in every way except the headliner.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTI_likeurmom View Post
Well i did use a breaker bar to snug up that nut instead of a torque wrench.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreasyGinzo View Post
my subframe has been out twice without replacing any bolts and I don't have subframe clunks and my world hasn't ended and my car hasn't blown up.
zrickety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 06:55 PM   #6
corrado917
Formula 3000 Driver

Drives: GTI CSG
MKI - Icon.

MKII- Not a bad Icon, but second parts are not as good as the original ones.

MKII- Upscale at the time, heavy.

MKIV- Turrrrrrrbo! 1.8T / R32 intro

MKV- Second most important GEN for contemporary VW Golf History, the German F355 !

MKVI- Definitely benchmark for any hatch in the market during its time, this has to be first most important.

MKVII- time will tell, away to much Audi product, pending identity, will get better with the years..
A buch of goodies APRís K04 kit, NGK 8 plugs , Unitronic Intake, Eurojet DP, Magnaflow catback, APRís TCU tune, 034 Dogbone Mount Insert, S3 intercooler, Forge catch can, Modshack trim, AWE tuning IC hoses, Neuspeed K04 TOP & TDP, H&R Cup kit, Golf Rís skirts & side mirrors, Euro LED tails, GTD grill, H&R sways, Stern bar, Enkei RPF1 & some other stuff..Build
corrado917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 07:04 PM   #7
steve9842015
Drag Race Newbie

Drives: 2011 4 dr GTI /DSG
Love the MK1 look.

I much prefer the body style of the MKVI over the MKVII.
2011 United Grey 4dr GTI | APR k04 v3.1 | GodSpeed v2 IC | IE Intake | Billy Boat TBE | ST X Coils | Depot Golf R LED Tails | GFB DV+ | AWE S3 TOP + Neuspeed TPB | Neuspeed RSE12's + PSS | NSP Boost Gauge | 034 Street Density
steve9842015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 07:07 PM   #8
LargeMargeSentMe
FIA World Rally Car Champion

Drives: 2010 MK6 GTI
with the proper mods I would be happy with any of them!
Old 05-03-2016, 09:34 PM   #9
Short Bus
FIA GT Newbie

Drives: CW '10 GTI, 6MT
I'm partial to the one I have, but I'm sure I'd enjoy any one of them. Some of the comments regarding the steering on the MkI and MkII don't really make me feel terribly enthusiastic about them. That's one of the things I hate about some old cars... so-so steering.
Short Bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 09:59 PM   #10
Goingnowherefast
FIA World Rally Car Champion

Drives: 16 GTI S 6MT, 91 Miata
Quote:
Originally Posted by sterkrazzy View Post
Mk5 is my least favorite GTI though, I don't like them at all. I had a mk4 when the mk5s came out, and I actually quit following VW for a while after that. Then I had no idea the mk6s were out and I saw one driving down the road one day, and I knew I had to have one.
It's funny because you are literally driving a MK5 with a different body right now lol

Turbo miata build starting here: http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=96866
Goingnowherefast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 10:54 PM   #11
sterkrazzy
Formula 5000 Champion

Drives: mk6 gti
The mk5 is just so damn ugly. I'll never get over that.
Mk6 CSG GTI 6sp | Stratified Tuned | Sachs SRE Stage 2 Clutch | DG SS | Raceseng Ashiko Heavy Shift Knob | Integrated Engineering CAI | CTS Turboback | GFB DV+ | Neuspeed RSe52's + Intercooler | Michelin PSS | 034 RSB + Upper Strut Mounts + Street Density Motor Mounts + Locking Collars | Eibach Pro-Street-S Coils | Energy Suspension Dogbone Insert | Fluidampr Pulley | Tyrolsport Stage 2 Hatch Brace | Stoptech Slotted Rotors
sterkrazzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 11:16 PM   #12
Philimon
Rally Car Champion

Drives: 2012 GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by zrickety View Post
The mk6 is just a cheaper, re-skinned mk5. So on that, the mk7 does not impress me. The PP with LSD is cool but anyone can add those to any gen. The mk4 started things for me and the 5 was better in every way except the headliner.
All true except mk7 IS a complete upgrade with factory optional beast mode PP w LSD. True heavyweight champion. Wait, isn't it lighter than mkvi though?

Plus mkv skin is greater than mkvi skin.
Philimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 10:25 AM   #13
stucky
Formula 5000 Champion

Drives: 12' 4 dr 6sp Man Autobahn. BUH LAK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goingnowherefast View Post
It's funny because you are literally driving a MK5 with a different body right now lol
Well, let's not forget the mk6's better dampers/ springs/ sways, electronic lsd, and the cam-follower-less TSI motor..

I've owned both. The mk5 opened my eyes; the mk6 opens my eyes every day..still.

As for outright performance, chk lightning lap stats below... 6 second difference between an mk5 (#174) and the 2010 mk6 (#162)

http://www.caranddriver.com/features...d-more-feature

That's one phenomenal "RESKIN"

Last edited by stucky; 05-04-2016 at 10:43 AM.
stucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 11:10 AM   #14
SnailPower
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: 2014 GTI Wolfs CSG 4DR MT
I agree that the MK5 is fugly as hell. Also a reason I never cared for VWs until the 6 hit. The front end is just so damn bland and dull, it looks nothing like an exciting car. The 6 improved it dramatically and the 7 ran with it.
I enjoy the boxy look on the MK4s and for an older car, of that year, it's still the better of most of what was out back then. My wife has a mk4 Jetta and while like others mentioned, the interior is crazy delicate, it's still decent for it's time. I just will never get over the cup holder idea, horrendous.
Internal : APR Stage 2+ tune - Soundaktor Delete - Diesel Geek Sigma 6 Short Shifter - R8 Coils - ECS Dogbone Mount Insert - GFB DV+ - NGP Type I Coilovers - KMD Tuning Front Stress Bar - WhiteLine Endlinks - IE CAI - IE K04 - EuroJet DP - Magna Flow Exhaust
External : H8 Pure Yellow Fog Bulbs - 20% All Around Tints - ECS JOM Euro Style Badgeless Grille
SnailPower is offline   Reply With Quote