GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

best pads for track weekends? I keep torching mine

lithiumbomb

I've had two two-day track events this year with my 2012 GTI. One at Road Atlanta and another at Carolina Motorsports Park. As expected I torched my original pads after my novice event at RA. As it's a 2012, the rear uses Bosch brakes while the front is the older ATE setup (aka, more pads available for front but not rear). Since I'm still much the novice I figured I'd stick with the same compound on all four corners, so tried HBC Yellowstuff pads.

They were toast after a weekend at CMP. Leading edges are crumbling and tailing edges are just glazed. The front calipers are now burgundy, which should subtract 5hp I guess. I'm trying to be modest, but at the speeds I'm doing I'm out-driving these brakes. I suppose I'll have to swing for track-only pads next and keep another set for the street.

So, recommendations for track pad setup on the otherwise stock brakes? And yes I know where this ultimately leads... (big brake kits, molesting a different car than my daily driver, etc)

Thanks!

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Go for some fresh stock rotors and some Hawk DTC - 60's for the track and it will transform the car's manners on the track. And of course don't forget to go with a high temp fluid like ATE.

ncsugray90

Ready to race!
I feel your pain! I also torched my brakes and turned my calipers bergundy at CMP. I went with Hawk HP+ in front and HPS rears with Motul RBF600 fluid and am doing my next event in two weeks at VIR. Hopefully this helps, but the +'s are noisy and very dusty, but #becauseracecar. I'll let you know how this setup works out. Idk if you were experiencing fade or not, but I definitley did at CMP. That place is hard on brakes in general though

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Cadubya

Autocross Newbie
EBC pads are horrible. I haven't heard a good thing about them. If you torched your brakes make sure you get some high quality fluid and flush and bleed them.

All tracks are not created equal. Some are harder on brakes than others depending on your driving style and how aggressive you get. RA is tough on brakes. Lots of speed and some elevation.

Better pads will help to a point, but heat is heat. Race pads will operate better at a higher temperature, but they too will succumb to the heat your stock brakes are incapable of dissipating. If you're going to be getting serious about doing more track days, then I'd consider upgrading to a BBK. It'll be cheaper in the long run. As you get better at track driving your brakes will become a huge liability.

I've had two two-day track events this year with my 2012 GTI. One at Road Atlanta and another at Carolina Motorsports Park. As expected I torched my original pads after my novice event at RA. As it's a 2012, the rear uses Bosch brakes while the front is the older ATE setup (aka, more pads available for front but not rear). Since I'm still much the novice I figured I'd stick with the same compound on all four corners, so tried HBC Yellowstuff pads.

They were toast after a weekend at CMP. Leading edges are crumbling and tailing edges are just glazed. The front calipers are now burgundy, which should subtract 5hp I guess. I'm trying to be modest, but at the speeds I'm doing I'm out-driving these brakes. I suppose I'll have to swing for track-only pads next and keep another set for the street.

So, recommendations for track pad setup on the otherwise stock brakes? And yes I know where this ultimately leads... (big brake kits, molesting a different car than my daily driver, etc)

Thanks!

Look into some Neuspeed rotors and Hawk HPS, HP+ or the new Hawk 5.0 Pads!

http://www.etektuning.com/categories/Volkswagen/Golf-MKVI-2010-to-Current/Braking-Systems/

RacingManiac

Drag Race Newbie
Carbotech XP10s on the front and 1521 in the rear is my track setup. The rear really doesn't matter a whole lot. The fronts do. And regardless what pad you use you'll end up discoloring the front caliper. You are going to make it hot one way or another, its just whether your brake still works then...

The benefit going Carbotech is they allow you to swap between their street compound(1521) and their track compound on the same set of rotor without needed to rebed everytime. Downside is both are quite pricy...

ncsugray90

Ready to race!
How did the HP+ and HPS rears do?
Sorry dude, never saw your comment!

The pads did GREAT! Very solid breaking all weekend long with very hot weather, high speed breaking (120+ down to about 40 at least twice per lap) and never once did I ever feel any fade. Pads also still have a ton of material left where my stock pads bit it after a weekend. I almost want to go with an even lighter pad in the rear as I still have some ass wiggle when engaging the abs (rears still lock up before the fronts) but it's much less than before and isn't really a huge issue.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

the bruce

Go Kart Champion
Never

enter

any

track

without

improving

brake

ventilation.

;)

Not only the caliper color did fade to dark-Red/brown, that
heat will probably also detoriate the piston seals. No joke.

At least remove the brake shields and fit the TT-RS air guide:

http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53392

I'd recommend to use dedicated pads for street and track on
front. The rears aren't that crucial if ESC is off on track. Per-
sonally I'd prefer stock or Ferodo DSP on street while running
serious stuff on track like Pagid RS29 or some PFCs. If you
really want a universal pad I'd have a look at Endless MX-72
and MX-RS, but I'd highly recommend to go the dual route.
You won't save any money if you go cheaper, cos cheap pads
don't last.
I agree that most EBC pads are crap, but at least the yellows
are still their most reasonable.
Last not least, realize that pads don't last that long on track
as you're used to on street.

pjung23551

Ready to race!
Ive run HPS, which are like OEM with a slightly higher mot, but these pads are scary to me because they fade like crazy once they get out of their temp range. the HP+ is better, very aggressive compound but still seem to have a narrow temperature range at the track.

I have a brembo gt 330mm kit, I've run stop tech street pads now for 5 track events, and like them. they do compress a bit at full tilt, but have a very flexible temperature range and a surprisingly high mot, much much higher than the HP/HP+ line.

Ive run PFC01's and these pads are crazy. too much brake for me, my eyeballs detach from the retinas when these pads are used in the bbk.

rs999

Go Kart Champion
I'm going to try yellowstuff on a June track day. I have been running Stoptech Street Performance pads in a Stoptech ST40 BBK and they have done very well.

No fade but I can't go super deep on entry like I would suspect I could on yellowstuff or HP+. I have used Stoptech Street Performance pads in autocross and track days at VIR, NCCAR, and Summit Point without fail. I'm just looking for a little bit more so I don't have to brake sooner at the foot markers.