GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Newbie Golf R Couple Desperately Want To Stop...

CDRKrotchetyUSN

Good Morning;

Newbie here, w/ a 2013 R we purchased new back in August of that year down home in Pensacola, FL. We're on our third trip across the US in it, and love all the fantastically twisty mountain back roads that take us west from Florida to the Lake Tahoe area.

So we've put about 36000 miles on her.

On the way out here to California last month, we hit a pot-hole in Arkansas, and got the Las Vegas Light Show (ESC, ABS, Steering, Low-Tire warnings and cautions).

Brand new Pirellis all around, laser-alignment, and full servicing completed in Pine Bluff at the Jaguar/Range Rover/VW dealership there.

We've been here in N. CA, and just the other day, got the same light show. Took it to a reputable service shop, and we noticed brake rotors were getting rutted and lipped, and the pads were starting to look thin. I didn't like that, and thought in addition to troubleshooting the lights, to address the 36000 miles worth of brake wear.

Had the rotors turned (approx. 0.032" per face) and new brake pads put in, $450. Returned in the late afternoon, took the car, and went out for a test.

Good news is that it would EVENTUALLY stop. Bad news, had to pump the brakes to get feel in the pedal, and she had the stopping urgency of an old automatic F250 farm truck with drum brakes. When I finally got back to the in-laws, I could get the idle to surge up and down pumping the brake pedal while in neutral. Plus I got a brief flash of the above mentioned light show.

So I surmised I had a vacuum leak, amongst a burgeoning of confidence-sapping problems with our beloved R.

Took it back the next day, and after discussing with the mech, they ostensibly checked for a vacuum leak. When I went to pick it up again in the evening, the mech related that they couldn't find a leak, but that they bled the brakes "some more", and did not replace any wheel sensors because they couldn't replicate the light show.

*sigh*.

Brakes still mushy (well, at best they will not rip my face off like they could before this fiasco), too easy to get into the ABS chatter, and the idle surge remains (although somewhat abated).

Sorry for the long-winded post, but when I get up in a few hours, I've got to find some good shops in the area (Sacramento), discuss this with them, and decide which one will get my hundreds or thousands of what's remaining of our dollars to quickly get this resolved. We hope to drive back east through the Sierras and the Rockies to spend Christmas with my parents in Kansas this week.

Appreciate any advice or experience!
Thanks,
Rodrigo

ChurchXD

Passed Driver's Ed
1st question to ask is the brand of brake pads. There not all built equal. And you might want to get a reputable mechanic to replace all your brake fluid with some high performance fluid. I always question mechanic's because they will use the cheap fluids to make an extra few dollars off you. And VW doesn't like off brand fluid

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Cadubya

Autocross Newbie
Who turns rotors anymore? Definitely get a fluid flush and some more aggressive pads. A lot of people have good luck with stop tech street compound.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

ChurchXD

Passed Driver's Ed
You could get a pretty great set of rotors and pads for 450.

CDRKrotchetyUSN

Doh!

Thanks for the quick input!

Now I wish we'd gone through the forums before sending this to a well-meaning but Golf-R inexperienced shop. They do mostly Dodge Ram pickups and Priuses up here in Nevada County, and their reputation is pretty good.

Alright, then; we're going down to Roseville to the VW shop, and then I'm taking your advice as per the fix to the discussion table.

I'll fill you all in soon as it's done.

Regards,
Rodrigo

artur1292

Go Kart Champion
Brakes are definitely not a place you want to skip out on. You should for sure get new quality rotors and at least oem pads. There is a good chance that they flushed your lines with some brake fluid they had laying around the shop. Brake fluid is hydrascopic so it'll absorb moisture and become less effective which might also explain your problem of the car not wanting to stop. You should always imo use a freshly opened bottle of brake fluid for a flush.

Bozz

Go Kart Champion
Take it to Niello Volkswagen in Sacramento

That shop in Nevada may do well on Dodge pickups, but it sounds like they didn't bleed properly or didn't put the right fluid in.

CDRKrotchetyUSN

Should know Monday. Also, they told me they had the wrong pads in, because the ones they used only covered half the rotor...

Can you say "please check the badge, I think it says 'R' not 'GTI'".

DUBlclutch

Passed Driver's Ed
Should know Monday. Also, they told me they had the wrong pads in, because the ones they used only covered half the rotor...

Many of my conversations with service advisors and/or car parts guys go like this...

Them: What kind of Golf is it?
Me: Golf 6 R
Them: Gti?
Me: Golf 6 R
Them: Golf...?
Me: It's a Golf R. It has a bigger turbo, brakes, stronger engine than a Gti and it has awd
Them: Glazed over eyes...deer in headlights look

[emoji23] [emoji23]

Anyway I hope you get it sorted. Also with all your travelling consider making a thread and posting up some pics. I yearn to road trip the R, but my wife doesn't like riding/driving (Phobia) too often or for long distances. It'd be nice to see an R that gets around!

DUB [emoji481]

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk

Reactions: R^2

ChurchXD

Passed Driver's Ed

I was also going to suggest you ask them to look at your fuel pump cam follower. It's probably fine but it's a wear part on the mk6 R. If you search the form you will find some good info on it.

bebersol

Ready to race!
1st question to ask is the brand of brake pads. There not all built equal. And you might want to get a reputable mechanic to replace all your brake fluid with some high performance fluid. I always question mechanic's because they will use the cheap fluids to make an extra few dollars off you. And VW doesn't like off brand fluid

Agree, also the new pads will probably work like crap for a few days (500 mi) until they bed in. This will be true of almost any pad. if you got pads on all 4 it can probably feel a little dicey. Look at your rotors for the wear in track of the pads, also look for glazing.