GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Newbie: Looking at 2011 GTI

MrFancypants

Autocross Champion
I'd say, the GTI has handled mods less favorably than my other performance car I've owned but otherwise it's been mostly reliable. Mod at your own risk, lol. When something breaks, it's not that cheap to fix because the parts are quite expensive, even aftermarket when compared to the Japanese world or even domestic.

I guess my perception is the opposite because I’ve come from RX-7 and WRX communities. Both of these groups just accept blown engines as a “pay to play” thing. What’s amusing to me is that my STi had a known timing belt tensioner issue much like he GTI has a timing chain tensioner weakness, but the STi also came with a small number of other weaknesses that led to needing a new engine.

Had I gone through Hondas or Miatas these might seem expensive, because those are hard to break. Mustangs and Camaros are fairly stout too, I believe.

alpha3

Go Kart Champion
Well, maybe a bit more details to that statement.

- His decision on a car, yes, but has to be Mom and Dad approved.
- Dollar amount is set.. there is a MAX in which he has to work
- He is leaning towards a Cruze now. But I think he likes the idea of a GTI as well I was able to pick out and by my car @ 16 (Actually 15) so I am doing the same with him, he is having fun (I think) looking at least

Ah, ok. I was about to say, it SHOULD be his decision, within parameters set by mom and dad. But if he's going to drive/learn about cars/take care of/enjoy said vehicle, he's got to have some say.

Good stuff. :thumbup:

-=Jeff=-

Ah, ok. I was about to say, it SHOULD be his decision, within parameters set by mom and dad. But if he's going to drive/learn about cars/take care of/enjoy said vehicle, he's got to have some say.

Good stuff. :thumbup:

Exactly.. He even said, if you force me into a car I don't like I would rather walk.

That said, he is doing his best to find cars int he budget he might like. nice thing is I would expect to see a price shift on used cars with the 2019s hitting dealers and the streets..

DASVDUB

Drag Racing Champion
Exactly.. He even said, if you force me into a car I don't like I would rather walk.

That said, he is doing his best to find cars int he budget he might like. nice thing is I would expect to see a price shift on used cars with the 2019s hitting dealers and the streets..

Wow. I was thankful as fuck to get a car... lol didn't matter if it was a pt cruiser or a minivan. I was grateful nonetheless. :yikes::yikes:

-=Jeff=-

Wow. I was thankful as fuck to get a car... lol didn't matter if it was a pt cruiser or a minivan. I was grateful nonetheless. :yikes::yikes:

Yeah, that is a big difference with kids now.. I had to push him to take Driver's Ed @ 15.. many of his friends have not even gotten their permits @ 16. I was chomping at the bit to get my license.. my first car was an 81 Mustang with inline 6.. was not fast but was fun

brobst

Go Kart Champion
When I got my first car at 21, i told my dad i want a WRX sti. He was like its too harsh, you get a gti. Thats why im here lmao

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Noodle1

Ready to race!
First car was my gti, I bought it when I was 17, my parents helped me out with the downpayment but I paid all the monthly payments myself. Im 19 now and I still really like my car. Sometimes I wish I got something more "tuner friendly" but I could only afford 1 car and thats why I think the gti is kinda perfect for a college kid's daily sporty car.

Last edited:

Boscogn

Go Kart Champion
My first car was a 1989 Mazda rx7 convertable that I wrecked after 3 months of owning it. I then was in a 92 saturn with the automatic roll up seatbelts for 8 years lol.

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk