GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Lou Maiuri's SPM FMIC, FX350, CTS K04 Review and Impressions Thread

Lou Maiuri

Banned
k04 guys, what common issues pop up with install. I've got the bases covered with the ignition coils, upgraded REV D DV, and mounts but I'm wondering what else I should look at reinforcing to provide a more stable setup. Any issues and solutions you have found would greatly help me when I get this installed. Also i'm not too well versed in the waste gate actuator setup. If someone could explain that to me I would appreciate it.

A_Bowers

k04 guys, what common issues pop up with install. I've got the bases covered with the ignition coils, upgraded REV D DV, and mounts but I'm wondering what else I should look at reinforcing to provide a more stable setup. Any issues and solutions you have found would greatly help me when I get this installed. Also i'm not too well versed in the waste gate actuator setup. If someone could explain that to me I would appreciate it.

What do you mean? Waste gate is integrated into the turbo exhaust housing....Are you talking about the DV tubing setup?

Lou Maiuri

Banned
What do you mean? Waste gate is integrated into the turbo exhaust housing....Are you talking about the DV tubing setup?

I guess that answers my question. If it is locked from the manufacturer I guess I have nothing to worry about. I heard something about someone with a CTS kit having trouble with their n75 valve and the waste gate needed recalibration.

A_Bowers

I guess that answers my question. If it is locked from the manufacturer I guess I have nothing to worry about. I heard something about someone with a CTS kit having trouble with their n75 valve and the waste gate needed recalibration.

Really? Link?

Have you contacted Clay at CTS yet? Im sure they would take care of those questions for you.

Yeah, one of the nice things about the OEM turbo...everything bolts right up as if it were OEM.....Minus the DV relocate...but thats not a biggie.

Lou Maiuri

Banned
Really? Link?

Have you contacted Clay at CTS yet? Im sure they would take care of those questions for you.

Yeah, one of the nice things about the OEM turbo...everything bolts right up as if it were OEM.....Minus the DV relocate...but thats not a biggie.

Can't find it for the life of me right now. Kind of bitter that SkullV put his APR kit up for 1300 right after I bought my CTS kit. Oh well, I guess I can find solace in the fact that it is a new kit.

A_Bowers

Can't find it for the life of me right now. Kind of bitter that SkullV put his APR kit up for 1300 right after I bought my CTS kit. Oh well, I guess I can find solace in the fact that it is a new kit.

for sure...and if you were to trade him your IHI turbo.....that would have brought the price down even more

Lou Maiuri

Banned
for sure...and if you were to trade him your IHI turbo.....that would have brought the price down even more

yeah but one of us would be without a car for a week. Oh well, 200 more isn't killing me in the scheme of things. I'm getting so antsy for this k04 install.

I really want definitive answers on this mount situation :( I'm waiting to hear back from Funktion Auto about what they can do for me price wise on the SPM mount kit but I keep reading that the HPA Urethane mount does it all for me as a DD.

A_Bowers

yeah but one of us would be without a car for a week. Oh well, 200 more isn't killing me in the scheme of things. I'm getting so antsy for this k04 install.

I really want definitive answers on this mount situation :( I'm waiting to hear back from Funktion Auto about what they can do for me price wise on the SPM mount kit but I keep reading that the HPA Urethane mount does it all for me as a DD.

As a daily driver......Either one will suit you fine. Im partial to the full setup (had front and rear only mounts on my Acura.....needed the full setup to quiet things down). The choice is yours.....ive been super pleased with mine, and vibrations are TOTALLY tolerable for daily use. Ive got a long road trip coming up soon....and that will still be easy on the body.

Lou Maiuri

Banned
I might go HPA puck for the time being and add the motor mount if necessary down the line. I have my ECS dogbone sitting around my house but it looks like I am not in need of it anymore.

greasyginzo

Go Kart Champion
Do the hpa dont fuck around with VF style dogbone

The hpa is sooo easy to install it slides right in by hand after you remove the bottom stock mount who ever said it needs to be pressed in is high

A_Bowers

I might go HPA puck for the time being and add the motor mount if necessary down the line. I have my ECS dogbone sitting around my house but it looks like I am not in need of it anymore.

Either way you will be happy.

greasyginzo

Go Kart Champion
Just for the record, the HPA will be sufficient for a k04 DD, correct? What color should I get if I daily drive with some spirited driving thrown in?

The HPA will hold stage 3+ The weak link in the stock mounts is the subframe bushing. I mean come on guys its almost common sense in a transverse layout the motor wants to rock forward and back just open your hood and rev the motor up you will see how much it moves and that without load. The stock engine and tranny mounts dont have nearly as much force applied to them as the pendulum mount. Just take a look at the stock subframe bushing. There is minimal material holding it together. As far as durometer of HPA I spoke with them several times about this and over and over again they recommend the red. Even when I asked about the wording on the advertisement they said it needs to be changed. If you are worried about vibes do the red mount its more then enough. I have the red and the difference is 4 fold over shitty inserts

Lou Maiuri

Banned
The HPA will hold stage 3+ The weak link in the stock mounts is the subframe bushing. I mean come on guys its almost common sense in a transverse layout the motor wants to rock forward and back just open your hood and rev the motor up you will see how much it moves and that without load. The stock engine and tranny mounts dont have nearly as much force applied to them as the pendulum mount. Just take a look at the stock subframe bushing. There is minimal material holding it together. As far as durometer of HPA I spoke with them several times about this and over and over again they recommend the red. Even when I asked about the wording on the advertisement they said it needs to be changed. If you are worried about vibes do the red mount its more then enough. I have the red and the difference is 4 fold over shitty inserts

Just out of curiosity what is your setup? Thanks for the info on the mount, I just purchased it and I'm looking forward to having it installed.

greasyginzo

Go Kart Champion
Stage 2 right now. I have owed a bunch of GTIs MK4, 5 and 6 and tried every motor mount solution. The HPA 034 and VWR are by far the only solutions. Although I dont agree with 034s stance on rubber vs. poly here for this mount.