GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

GTI AWD conversion

FuturaGTI

It's been a week since the last update. Been waiting on parts, mostly.

Recently finished up the floor. Painted on the top side.

Golf R Sway bar, nuts and bolts for the suspension, and centre driveshaft support mounts

HPA Turboback Quadpack Exhaust (un-resonated).

and finally, Golf R rear bumper

Back to work this week. A few mounts/brackets need to be fabricated for things like the angle drive and centre driveshaft, but it's all coming together nicely! Another challenge will be running vaccuum lines and a switch for the flapper on the exhuast. Since the Golf R was wired for it stock, this exhaust comes with one. Since GTIs dont come with that option, a switch will have to be wired to run this manually. One more thing that will make the car one of a kind

nvturbo

Go Kart Champion
^^^
That's a lot of dedication and persistence man. Good luck to you.

Tech72

Ready to race!
Nicely done.

I would have gone with a factory R straight off the bat, rather than convert a GTI. But I have to admit, what you're doing is easily the most impressive and ambitious mod on this forum. Kudos to that. Excellent work and keep us updated. I'm interested to see the finished product.

fkshtup

Ready to race!
Wow you sir have balls!!!! Wouldn't it be better to buy an R and do an engine swap?

Uberryan

Banned
Wow you sir have balls!!!! Wouldn't it be better to buy an R and do an engine swap?

Not sure what the benefit of this would be? I don't think there's much cause for concern over the cam followers on the FSI anymore, and maybe address the fueling with an APR fuel pump and you're good.

Cool mod, but might be overkill without a turbo'd VR6 making it a beast.

Davespence20

Ready to race!
This... should have just gotten an R

Why? He's doing something crazy and original. No one has done an awd swap on a mk6 that I know of. It's a truly one of a kind car instead of 1 out of 5000

DasAuto1295

Go Kart Champion
Why? He's doing something crazy and original. No one has done an awd swap on a mk6 that I know of. It's a truly one of a kind car instead of 1 out of 5000

Thank you. The classic "should have gotten an R" posts.. :fighting0030: :rolleyes:

I admire you for going through with this, just subbed on vortex as well :thumbsup:

sicsdeep1

Ready to race!

I give him lots of credit for doing this, lots of hard hard work.

But I agree with just getting an R. He is making the rear end look exactly like an R. Unique application yes, but logical and most likely financially smart, probably not.

Mad props either way! Keep us updated!

aj_law

Go Kart Champion
Dafuq? Holy shitballs.

I would have gone with a factory R straight off the bat, rather than convert a GTI. But I have to admit, what you're doing is easily the most impressive and ambitious mod on this forum. Kudos to that. Excellent work and keep us updated. I'm interested to see the finished product.

'Dis.

Curious, why the change to an R rear? Maybe you covered it in an earlier post which I'm going to admit that I didn't read the entire thread. I'd think you'd want to keep the full GTI look, with the sleeper AWD feature.

Edit: Oh, and having access to a lift, FTW. At least, I'm assuming you do with the amount of work involved.

CyrexNZ

Ready to race!
Subscribed. You should make a DIY thread once you are done.

And to all the haters. Don't be jealous at how awesome this is.