GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

More Compensation TBA for TDI Owners

Gunawanna

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-volkswagen-emissions-idUSKCN0VG0MF

The group set aside 6.7 billion euros ($7.5 billion) in the third quarter of 2015 to cover repair costs for vehicles worldwide. Pieper said this might need to be topped up by another 2-3 billion euros.

So for the approximate 600k TDI owners in the US, "we" may be getting around $4-5k in some form.

I'm holding off on any mods for my car until there is a distinct and clear message from VW of what their plans are for the affected US models.

gliitch

Ready to race!
I'll bet alot of it is towards "trading in" towards a gas model or something to that effect. I feel like it won't be just straight cash compensation

Saabstory

.:R32 OG Member # 002
I have 142K on my 2012 TDI, and a failing EGR Valve/DPF... If they offer me a sweet trade-in deal I'll jump in a heartbeat... :D

Gael

Passed Driver's Ed
I have 142K on my 2012 TDI, and a failing EGR Valve/DPF... If they offer me a sweet trade-in deal I'll jump in a heartbeat... :D

Looking at your signature, you better put your car back to stock first, and sell some of those parts separately!

Saabstory

My car is stock other than appearance items essentially. I can swap everything but the steering wheel anyway; I have all the original parts except that.

Gael

Passed Driver's Ed
Just to play it safe, you might as well just trade steering wheels with me. ;)

engineered2win

Ready to race!
I'll bet alot of it is towards "trading in" towards a gas model or something to that effect. I feel like it won't be just straight cash compensation

I would be very surprised if they require you to buy another VW. It should be a cash offer. The reason to buy them back is to get them off the road. I expect the EPA to penalize them heavily for any vehicles still on the road that are uncorrected. Ken Feinberg's job is to come up with a settlement package. Part of his job is to get a large buy-in to his proposal from owners; his target is 90% owner buy-in judging by his previous work. Therefore to get that he will have to offer enough to pry the keys out of any stubborn owner's hands. I think a fair percentage of owners would not want to purchase another VW, so that would have to factor into his proposal.

Saabstory

Just to play it safe, you might as well just trade steering wheels with me. ;)

If an offer hits; we can trade; you'll just have to send yours to me first so I can swap and send the good one back... :D:thumbsup:

engineered2win

Ready to race!
Wouldn't be fair if Americans get money and we Germans not X(

Sorry, but there is a big difference here. There is already a fix for the European Gen1 common rail TDI's; there is no fix for the US gen1 TDI's and there most likely won't be one. They either will have to buy them back or reach some agreement with EPA/CARB to either partially fix or leave them as-is and pay a huge fine.

GTR-34

I think there is no fix for the european TDI's.
Heard about they tried to fix some Amarok but they failed.
And I didn't get a letter yet.

No, there is no difference ;)