GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Really turning off ESP

MrFancypants

Autocross Champion
Has anybody had a limited slip installed and tried the "disable steering angle sensor" trick noted how the car handles? I'd think with a mechanical limited slip the loss of XDS wouldn't be a deal-breaker, or at least it'd be a fair trade.

If somebody said "YES, IT'S AMAZING" I'd think about prioritizing the install of a locking diff when my clutch finally goes.

The Ginkneb

Ready to race!
I absolutely want the option to turn off the ESP, particularly without losing XPS.

But have you tried adjusting your driving around it? I've personally found that in most instances where ESP kicks in I could have opened the throttle earlier, keeping the rear pinned and allowing me to carry more speed through the curve.

Again, I'd like to be able to disable it, because fun. I'm just not sure it would make me faster.

This. I discovered the same adjustment in driving style. Before, I just overloaded the front under deceleration causing understeer, and the brake would grunt, and I would grunt, feeling as though I could not come close to or exceed the limit even if I wanted to, even with ESP "off". Brake a bit more before corner entry and then feather the throttle through the turn to keep even load distribution and the traction control has stopped messing with me and jerking me around when I am diving around an exit ramp or some such hooligan behavior.

STILL would like the option to disable entirely, and disagree with those that say "you're driving wrong" if it kicks in. It's not about "wrong" it's about "fun".

Arkaband

Ready to race!
After a year with this code, I'm convinced it does absolutely nothing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

schulmann

Passed Driver's Ed
Several guys that dont track their GTI, told me that the GTI has one major design flaw: the esp can t be turned off. I am an experienced track driver and i can tell you that the esp not all all an issue for me. I can push so hard my GTI on the stock suspension ... t
he only limitation is my front brake. The ESP only kick in when necessary.

Many guys are saved on the track by the ESP.

My old BMW had an intrusive ESP but my GTI is more permissible, i can really throw it into a turn and twist the back.

engineered2win

Ready to race!
Several guys that dont track their GTI, told me that the GTI has one major design flaw: the esp can t be turned off. I am an experienced track driver and i can tell you that the esp not all all an issue for me. I can push so hard my GTI on the stock suspension ... t
he only limitation is my front brake. The ESP only kick in when necessary.

Many guys are saved on the track by the ESP.

My old BMW had an intrusive ESP but my GTI is more permissible, i can really throw it into a turn and twist the back.

The ESP is crap on my car. I get intrusion even on steady state sweeping left/right on/off ramps at about moderate pace; no where near the limit. It unsettles the car and makes it less stable by pulsing the brakes. I've vowed my next car will have defeatable stability control it's so bad. This modification did absolutely nothing to turn off ESP.

zrickety

The Fixer
ESP behavior will vary by pump. Not saying this coding is the silver bullet but it appears to work on certain cars. There is the steering angle sensor that can be disabled, it's not switchable but can be done with VCDS. I have thought about a toggle switch on the sensor harness...

MrFancypants

Autocross Champion
The ESP is crap on my car. I get intrusion even on steady state sweeping left/right on/off ramps at about moderate pace; no where near the limit. It unsettles the car and makes it less stable by pulsing the brakes. I've vowed my next car will have defeatable stability control it's so bad. This modification did absolutely nothing to turn off ESP.

Just disable the steering angle sensor and be done with it.

Mine is only that intrusive around tight, highly banked freeway ramps. Otherwise when it kicks in I take it as a clue that I could have been more aggressive on the throttle.

mraaf

Passed Driver's Ed
Tested it on wet track few weeks ago, the car tend to snap oversteer. Little scary but fun.

theclutch

Go Kart Newbie
No I did not, I just let it off slightly to maintain speed around 120kmh.

Looking at your steering wheel angle (can't see your foot work, though), I am thinking that the rear sway bar only option is a very bad idea. That should have been a very recoverable slide. You had the steering wheel angle correct (again, I can't see your feet). I would put a front sway bar in there or soften the rear bars. It just appears too much RSB right now. And upon reading countless threads, they say that RSB only is great for autox, but very unstable at higher speeds as I think you've encountered. IMHO only.

MrFancypants

Autocross Champion
No I did not, I just let it off slightly to maintain speed around 120kmh.

If you're running a bigger bar at the rear and the stock one up front you probably want to upgrade the front one as well (like theclutch says). A big rear bar and stock up front works for autocross, but it can get weird at higher speeds.

My suspension is still stock and even with ESP I can tell that the car wants to rotate more than the nannies will allow, but I've never been surprised by it.