GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Is code P0172 PCV related?

mistaleungg

Go Kart Newbie
My car threw a code P0172 (system is too rich - Bank 1) two weeks ago.
I went back to the shop who resealed my Cam girdle, oil pan and did an oil change a month ago.

I asked if the code is caused by overfilling the engine oil, as I see the the oil is 1cm higher than the MAX line. The mechanic said it is no big deal and suggested the code is due to a failed PCV. He asked me to get a new PCV valve and a new rear PCV pipe. I can confirm the rear pipe is kind of loose but I am not sure about the PCV valve.

Also, the car failed to start up last night. The second try it started up but the revs was
fluctuating. I stepped on the gas and it went back normal. Do you think this is related to the P0172 or something else?

Thank you in advance

mistaleungg

Go Kart Newbie

mistaleungg

Go Kart Newbie
Can overfilling the engine somehow the extra oil affect the ignition, which leads to the startup problem?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jerseynoob

Ready to race!
Yes, this is what I am going to do tonight. And next is get a new PCV valve.
But I wonder if I have to pay attention to the alternator or not.

+1 on the PCV.

I just had a blown PCV, which blew my RMS. P2279, and P0507 were the codes I got. Seems you can get all kinds of weird codes with a blown PVC.

Regarding the alternator, if you got the equipment to check it, it should around 14v (volts?), if it's way above, or below, get it replaced. Going way over could fry the electrical system and computer.

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
+1 on the PCV.

I just had a blown PCV, which blew my RMS. P2279, and P0507 were the codes I got. Seems you can get all kinds of weird codes with a blown PVC.

Regarding the alternator, if you got the equipment to check it, it should around 14v (volts?), if it's way above, or below, get it replaced. Going way over could fry the electrical system and computer.

I recently had 2 PCV’s fail, the second of which took the rear main with it! I had no codes at all and no symptoms apart from the oil leaking from the RMS, I could be wrong but I don’t think the OP’s issue is PCV related due to the non start problem, the non start then fluctuating revs would make me think low fuel pressure.

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Yes, this is what I am going to do tonight. And next is get a new PCV valve.

But I wonder if I have to pay attention to the alternator or not.

I don’t see why you are thinking alternator??

mistaleungg

Go Kart Newbie
I recently had 2 PCV’s fail, the second of which took the rear main with it! I had no codes at all and no symptoms apart from the oil leaking from the RMS, I could be wrong but I don’t think the OP’s issue is PCV related due to the non start problem, the non start then fluctuating revs would make me think low fuel pressure.

Thank you for your advice, I would check the lpfp next time.

mistaleungg

Go Kart Newbie
I don’t see why you are thinking alternator??

Because there is one or two times the car failed to start or rev fluctuates after startup. So I thought maybe the alternator is failing?