GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

TPMS needed for track only set?

SteveInLA

Ready to race!
I am considering having a set of wheels and tires only to be used on the track. Is it necessary to spend the extra $50/per wheel to have a TPMS sensor? I assume that without it, the light on the dash will be lit, but I can live with that. I will be driving to the track on wheels with TPMS installed then swapping them there. Any thoughts?

Steve in L.A.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
You sure your wheels right now have tpms sensors? My 2011 uses the abs system to monitor tire pressure.

clownish

just clowning around
Basically - no.

Even if you have TPMS sensors you can code it out using VAGCOM - I’ve done it on my mk5. It’s not hard to do. There’s 2-3 Long codes you have to look up on Ross tech.

Most mk6s use the ABS style wheel speed sensors not TPMS but I think the early gen ones might have them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SteveInLA

Ready to race!
Interesting. Mine is a 2011 but I assumed that since it tells me when my street tires have lost pressure that there were tire pressure monitor sensors installed. I could code that out, but I like having it when not on the track. Anyway seems like the answer is no, I do not need to add them to my tirerack.com order. Thanks!

zrickety

The Fixer
My 2010 has the sensors...your 2011 probably does not. As others said it's done using the ABS system, it can tell when a tire is low. Any wheels will work. The easy way to know is you will have a reset button in the car.
If you don't, then you can change the coding to deactivate the sensors, which is what I did.