GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Official MK6 TDI Tunes Thread

Saabstory

.:R32 OG Member # 002

That makes more sense; I would expect Malone to be pretty smooth especially in D. Any race should be done in S or M mode for a DSG anyway. Also; keep in mind the "Feels faster" vs "Is Faster" portion of it. I don't car if the car "feels" as fast, just that it is faster; smooth and fast is better anyway. :D

So if your car was in S or M; was the APR Stage I still faster, or was that only while in D mode? Was it just the feel, or was it truly faster in every run?

Thanks!

gregsju29

Go Kart Champion
so my question is, (being a noob to diesels), why would malone require the dsg tune, but APR does not. APR, REVO, GIAC, don't require the tune for gas motors either, even with their k04 tunes, which is clearly making a ton of torque. So what's the deal? Does Malone make you do it because it helps with MPG?

rs999

Go Kart Champion
so my question is, (being a noob to diesels), why would malone require the dsg tune, but APR does not. APR, REVO, GIAC, don't require the tune for gas motors either, even with their k04 tunes, which is clearly making a ton of torque. So what's the deal? Does Malone make you do it because it helps with MPG?

below is your answer

the tranny will pull power w/o a proper update for the tune.

Go to TDICLUB and search for 'DSG TDI TUNE' some tuners claim they don't need a DSG tune for their tune to use all its power but the forum members have reported that without the tune the DSG's act weird under the extra power.

Unitronic doesn't claim to need the DSG tune but they do have a Stage 1 bundle of ECU + DSG tune.

I am going to give the Malone tune a few months of DD usage and a track day or two, then I am going to try out Unitronic's tune combo. I really like their Stage 2 DSG tune on my GTI so I am guessing that Stage 1 DSG is just a bit less agressive.

rs999

Go Kart Champion
That makes more sense; I would expect Malone to be pretty smooth especially in D. Any race should be done in S or M mode for a DSG anyway. Also; keep in mind the "Feels faster" vs "Is Faster" portion of it. I don't car if the car "feels" as fast, just that it is faster; smooth and fast is better anyway. :D

So if your car was in S or M; was the APR Stage I still faster, or was that only while in D mode? Was it just the feel, or was it truly faster in every run?

Thanks!

We ran the cars back to back down a service road, 3 drivers got to feel the tunes. The Malone car was run in D and S mode and was quicker than stock according to the butt dyno.

However, when that APR stage 1 MT sportwagen ran down that same road, it felt more agressive and faster.

However, since we did not race side by side we don't know who's faster from a stop or a roll.

Also, it was S mode that I could only keep up with the APR tuned car. I was following him light to light as we went to get something to eat. In D, he would pull way ahead and I could only keep up by driving D aggressively or keeping the car in S mode. M mode probably would have been the same case as S mode.

As for who is faster, here is a video from AMDIsTheBest, he is over at TDICLUB:

Here's another thing about TDI's, they are quieter than GTI's. No rumbly downpipes or loud exhausts. So what may look like a cruise is actually a car rolling pretty fast, a soundaktor might actually help a tuned TDI's image of being a fast car. :bellyroll:

biped

Ready to race!
dsg tune, not dsg tune, does it pull power, does it act weird, extra money for dsg tune, extra monies to service tranny...

that's why i got a 6 speed.

dean_park

Ready to race!
I've never been in a stage I APR car, but I've had several exhaust scenarios with my stage II Malone tune and its felt totally different. I've been running a PDE DP (2.5" no resonator or cat), but my catback has been 2" stock with rear muffler, 2" without any mufflers, 2.5" no mufflers and now, it's 2.5" with a muffler (stock Turbo Beetle muffler, rear resonator removed).
Without any back pressure, hard acceleration seemed to cause boost spiking (I think... I don't have a boost gauge), but giving a little back pressure with a muffler in there, gives that spongy turbo feel back and it feels a lot quicker on the butt dyno.

If there is anyone in the mid-west that has an APR tuned TDI, I'd be up for a little road testing.

Brinkmen

VW NUT!
I see all this stuff about APR and DSG. Anyone here have experience with APR on a 6MT TDI? I've narrowed it down to APR and Malone.

I'm leaning toward APR because I've had their tuning on 4 cars now including my current '10 GTI and have never had ANY problems. But then I remember those are 1.8ts and 2.0ts and I'm wondering if Malone is the better option because of the amount of time they have been doing TDI tunes. Another thing to consider for me is there is an APR dealer here in town less than 15 minutes away and the closest Malone dealer is in Portland 580 miles away. Granted its about 1 tank in the TDI each way, but still another $200 in fuel costs for Malone (sending in my ECU isn't an option I'm considering for any companies.)

Thoughts?

Shutaro

Ready to race!
I've had stage 1 on my 6MT since the spring, with about 10k miles driven since. Very, very happy with it. I won't reiterate the details you've read a thousand times, but they all hold as true in the MT as in a DSG. I've had no issues with tires spinning in first or second, with most of the power in third and fourth. Clutch hasn't been an issue, either; I had some stuttering when opening it up from 2k rpm's or so, but I had it in for some warranty work last week and that seemed to smooth it out (though I drove the car for two days before then leaving it in front of the house for a week, so it's not a huge sample size).

The big benefit for me is in the highway passing, as I take a two lane highway 40 miles to and from work. Not only do I get more power to get around trucks when I get my chance at a dashed yellow line, but I've got more flexibility in which gear to leave it in. In stock mode I felt like I had to pay a lot more attention to downshifting to max power, occasionally being the guy who drops it a gear and then roars past some retired couple in a Camry like a douche :laugh:

gokhansaler

Ready to race!

1.6 TDI Stock 90PS 230NM > Ecu Remap....

;)

Norsk

Go Kart Champion
I am still fighting with myself not to get Malone Stage 1.5 Tune because I promised my GF that I will not get the tune. I'm still tempted to get it!

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
I am still fighting with myself not to get Malone Stage 1.5 Tune because I promised my GF that I will not get the tune. I'm still tempted to get it!

How would she ever find out?! :yikes: