GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

New RCD330 Plus Headunit with Mirrorlink/Carplay

Mr_Dog

Ready to race!
Just to gauge interest. How many would be interested in a adapter to fix the Sound problem with Fender & DynaAudio units?

MJGTI

I have a 2012 GTI and installed the RCD330 about a month and a half ago. I hadn't had any issues, but I woke up today to a dead battery. I'm thinking this is likely unrelated, but have any of you with GTIs had an issue with battery drain?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

XSSIVE

Ready to race!
Just to gauge interest. How many would be interested in a adapter to fix the Sound problem with Fender & DynaAudio units?

I'd be interested in that since I'd love to ditch my RNS315 in favor of an RCD330 and Android Auto, but have been apprehensive due to it not working with Dynaudio. I don't care about the volume adjusting with speed but I would like the amp to work as intended powering the speakers. What I haven't been able to find out is what an RCD330 in a car with Dynaudio actually does and doesn't do. Some guys say it works fine and others say "It doesn't work" but what isn't working? Is the amp not turning on and the headunit is now powering the speakers alone? Or something else?

I know Alpine makes an adapter for their Euro MKVI specific headunits to integrate with Dynaudio, but I can't find out exactly what it does since their site is lite on info about it...

http://www.alpine-electronics.co.za/p/Products/SingleView/KWE-DY01G6

I was curious if something like that would work with the RCD330. I think in the case of the Alpine it has something to do with the voltage or dB output of the headunit and the Dynaudio amp not matching, but I'm not sure if that's the same issue the RCD330 has or not.

So, what would your adapter actually do?

Last edited:

Mr_Dog

Ready to race!
I'd be interested in that since I'd love to ditch my RNS315 in favor of an RCD330 and Android Auto, but have been apprehensive due to it not working with Dynaudio. I don't care about the volume adjusting with speed but I would like the amp to work as intended powering the speakers. What I haven't been able to find out is what an RCD330 in a car with Dynaudio actually does and doesn't do. Some guys say it works fine and others say "It doesn't work" but what isn't working? Is the amp not turning on and the headunit is now powering the speakers alone? Or something else?

I know Alpine makes an adapter for their Euro MKVI specific headunits to integrate with Dynaudio, but I can't find out exactly what it does since their site is lite on info about it...

http://www.alpine-electronics.co.za/p/Products/SingleView/KWE-DY01G6

I was curious if something like that would work with the RCD330. I think in the case of the Alpine it has something to do with the voltage or dB output of the headunit and the Dynaudio amp not matching, but I'm not sure if that's the same issue the RCD330 has or not.

So, what would your adapter actually do?

I have Fender audio but I believe it is the same for Dynaudio.

Everything works as it would. It is just the audio quality drops a bit. The big drop is only at the louder volumes and is fine otherwise.

The adapter would actually likely do exactly what that alpine one does just in a form that allows for plug and play functionality and no splicing.

The RCD330 only puts out line level voltage for the speakers. When I measured it was averaging around 4V on medium volume. I still need to measure the RNS but I believe the amp is meant for no more than 2V.

richterat83

Passed Driver's Ed
So after a few days of using the RCD330+ 187B version, it's got a few quarks.

Amazon music doesn't always work (where as spotify does) and causes the unit to hang up and freeze/reboot.

Bluetooth works, but some times requires accepting multiple times before it does. Once connected it works great, but it doesn't automatically repair every time.

I LOVE having waze but again, sometimes it locks up and requires a reboot. I can switch to google maps and it works but going back to waze and it's still frozen.

Phone quality i'm told is no different than the stock unit (except that my car itself is loud) but in the wife's car (stock) it's great.

XSSIVE

Ready to race!
I have Fender audio but I believe it is the same for Dynaudio.

Everything works as it would. It is just the audio quality drops a bit. The big drop is only at the louder volumes and is fine otherwise.

The adapter would actually likely do exactly what that alpine one does just in a form that allows for plug and play functionality and no splicing.

The RCD330 only puts out line level voltage for the speakers. When I measured it was averaging around 4V on medium volume. I still need to measure the RNS but I believe the amp is meant for no more than 2V.

The more I looked into it the more it looks like a simple voltage or dB level issue as it's called in some Vagcom stuff I read. I don't have a 330 to test (researching before buying as noted) so I'm just going on what I've read and some speculation, but it seems like (as you mentioned) the Dynaudio amp is looking for a lower voltage from the headunit speaker outs to activate and if it gets a higher voltage it doesn't activate and lets the headunits internal amp power the speakers.

When looking into it more I came across RNS510 with Dynaudio install notes that have you drop the output from 26dB to 12dB for it to work correctly. I think the same goes for the 330 but the problem is that since the headunit never came in a car with any amp other than Skoda Vagcom won't work to do the dropping, so you'll have to do it via hardware like the Alpine adapter and then possibly set the Vagcom coding to Skoda amp. The more I looked into the Alpine unit the more this thinking seems correct since one site says it's "to adapt the more powerful Alpine unit to the factory amp" aka, it's dropping output voltage to let the Dynaudio amp turn on.

Also, I'm pretty sure the Alpine unit is plug and play since it has a male and female speaker connector that looks just like the brown one inside the large factory harness. I just can't seem to find any install info to make sure of that, or even a place to buy the thing. So if you can make an easily available plug and play harness to do the same thing I'm pretty sure it would solve the Dynaudio compatibility issue. The only question left to test then is would it work better with stock coding or coded to Skoda amp.

FndrStrat06

Passed Driver's Ed
So after a few days of using the RCD330+ 187B version, it's got a few quarks.

Amazon music doesn't always work (where as spotify does) and causes the unit to hang up and freeze/reboot.

Bluetooth works, but some times requires accepting multiple times before it does. Once connected it works great, but it doesn't automatically repair every time.

I LOVE having waze but again, sometimes it locks up and requires a reboot. I can switch to google maps and it works but going back to waze and it's still frozen.

Phone quality i'm told is no different than the stock unit (except that my car itself is loud) but in the wife's car (stock) it's great.

I have an iPhone, so YMMV, however...

When I first installed my RCD330 I had a 3 year old iPhone 6. I had issues with constantly spotty bluetooth, and unreliable connection by USB. It was extremely sluggish, and Apple CarPlay wasn't much of an improvement there.

Everything changed when I got my iPhone X. Everything is lightening fast, and I don't have bluetooth or USB connection problems anymore. I believe that our phones are doing most of the processing when we connect them to this unit. Is your phone older, and running the latest version of Android? Honestly, that could be the issue.

richterat83

Passed Driver's Ed
I'm on a Galaxy S8 and wife's got an S8+ (both on the latest sprint OS Android 8.0.0)
edit-strike that, there's a new firmware. Downloading now to see if it makes a difference.

XSSIVE

Ready to race!
I decided to dive in and give the RCD330 a shot. Just ordered a 6RF035187E model with latest hardware and software and emailed a company in the UK about ordering the Alpine harness (no one in the USA carries it as it's a Euro only headunit it goes with normally) to see if it will work to solve the Dynaudio compatibility issue.

ExcelonGT

Passed Driver's Ed
I decided to dive in and give the RCD330 a shot. Just ordered a 6RF035187E model with latest hardware and software and emailed a company in the UK about ordering the Alpine harness (no one in the USA carries it as it's a Euro only headunit it goes with normally) to see if it will work to solve the Dynaudio compatibility issue.

What dynaudio incompatibility issue? Sorry haven't kept up with the thread. I've been using the rcd330 in my Dynaudio car for several months. No issues

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

XSSIVE

Ready to race!
What dynaudio incompatibility issue? Sorry haven't kept up with the thread. I've been using the rcd330 in my Dynaudio car for several months. No issues

I don't have the 330 yet to know for sure, but as I had mentioned in my other posts based on my reading I keep seeing people mention an incompatibility with Dynaudio where it will "work" but not perfectly as it's actually not using the Dynaudio amp and just using the 330s internal amp. I've only been able to go off other peoples posts (and I've read a lot on several forums) which is why I decided to just dive in and order the thing and find out for myself.

From my reading it seems like if you just plug in the 330 into a car that has Dynaudio and had an RNS315 it will work, but, the volume scaling will be off meaning it will jump through the volume range faster than the 315 and not sound as good at higher volumes. If you try to Vagcom code the 330 for Dynaudio it won't work. When plugged into a car with Dynaudio the 330 fader won't work. If you code it to Skoda amp the fader will work but the audio sounds bad since the output voltage of the headunit is still too hot for the Dynaudio amp.

So based on all that, again, just from my research and reading no real world testing yet, my thinking is if you code it for the Skoda amp and use the Alpine harness I mentioned earlier which will lower the speaker level output voltage to turn on the Dynaudio amp then everything should (fingers crossed) work even better making full use of the Dynaudio amp.