GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

OEM roof rack + wood slats. help with fabrication of rack inserts

austinm2011

Ready to race!
I have the OEM roof rack on my 2-door GTI, I want to make wooden slats for the rack (mainly aesthetic, but possibly also include hooks for luggage) as I have a wood hatch as well. I have access to both a metal lathe and 3d printer, one or both of which I plan to use to make the inserts, then I would attach the wood to the inserts.

Any ideas/input on this?
Does anyone have a link to specs for the rack slot opening? maybe even a 3d printer file for inserts? plastic may be too brittle in which case I would opt for lathing the inserts.

I am thinking 6 or 8 slats would be ideal, and instead of making each slat a seperate piece, or making all of them one piece, I think making two identical inserts with 3 or 4 slats each would be easiest for install/removal/storage. Hopefully this makes sense, very open to ideas, if it doesn't make sense I can draw up a schematic

zrickety

The Fixer
I used a couple carriage bolts on each side, the square shank fits perfectly in the channel. I want to say 9/16" bolts but I have to check. Once the sides are on you can screw more pieces to them.