GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Weird Clutch Disengagement Today

b-nez

So here's a thing. 2013 with Stage 1. Today some douchenozzle slammed on his brakes in the passing lane to make an illegal U-turn through a cutout. All cars slam brakes to avoid an accident. I slowed just fine, but as we began to move, I popped it back into gear (3d I think), and as I began to throttle up, I felt no clutch engagement at all, just revving. I glanced at my MFD, and showed a '1'. My first thought, oh crap did I just dive into first instead of 3rd? I shifted to neutral and back to 3rd, and I could swear the MFD showed '2' still with no engagement. WTH? Shifted to 2nd, and still no clutch engagement. I made my way to the right lane to pull off, and suddenly when trying another gear change, I felt a subtle pop from the clutch pedal , got engagement, and the pedal felt stiffer (like it usually does). I took it easy for a few miles, and all gear changes worked fine after that. So...what happenned?

Maybe when I hit the brakes and clutch to avoid a wreck I overextended the TOB and it got hung up on the shaft? What do y'all think? Is that a thing? Thanks for your feedback.

JustinT

Ready to race!
I thought your clutch was going to begin slipping, lots of people have their clutch slip even with APR Stage I with a (stock clutch) of course. Try to see if you're car will do the same thing again, best of luck!

vracerw

Passed Driver's Ed
just a thought since both the brakes and the clutch use the same fluid check to make sure the brake reservoir is filled up. could be a little low and causing an issue.

b-nez

I thought your clutch was going to begin slipping, lots of people have their clutch slip even with APR Stage I with a (stock clutch) of course. Try to see if you're car will do the same thing again, best of luck!

Yeah, my clutch will slip a bit when I hit the throttle hard with A/C off. This was completely different. Literally felt like I was revving in neutral with the car in gear and foot off the clutch. One of the scenarios that went through my mind was delaminated clutch lining (been there before), but there would be no recovering from that, much less a working clutch.

b-nez

just a thought since both the brakes and the clutch use the same fluid check to make sure the brake reservoir is filled up. could be a little low and causing an issue.

That is on my To do list today, but with low fluid, I'd expect disengagement to be difficult, and gear changes to be difficult to impossible. My gear changes felt normal (in the hand), just didn't seem like the clutch was engaging even a little bit.

RaySkodaTSI

Ready to race!
Brake Fluid Low and Air in clutch line. Bleed the line.
Happens in these cars that seem to share the brake and clutch reservoir under hard braking. To save $10/car, they made a terrible compromise. I'm going to get a bike brake reservoir and separate the two reservoirs.