GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Friggen United Motorsports K04 ECU and DSG combo vids

brobst

Go Kart Champion
My basic understanding is that I am meeting requested boost which is good, but the knock and timing are a little wonky. This was the ED base file and the turbo is not base, so that could be the issue. But I am waiting to hear back from Andy about what to do.

FriggenT1

Banned
My basic understanding is that I am meeting requested boost which is good, but the knock and timing are a little wonky. This was the ED base file and the turbo is not base, so that could be the issue. But I am waiting to hear back from Andy about what to do.

So this is a standard k04 on a base file?

brobst

Go Kart Champion
Edit: where did you see 18? Did you convert a number?

Im gonna get the file tweaked. Yeah, needle dead on 18psi whole pull. Very strange imo. Such constant flow. I think there is a lot of headroom, but gotta fix the knock first

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

FriggenT1

Banned
Edit: where did you see 18? Did you convert a number?

Im gonna get the file tweaked. Yeah, needle dead on 18psi whole pull. Very strange imo. Such constant flow. I think there is a lot of headroom, but gotta fix the knock first

No conversion, I think I saw you had mentioned it somewhere... 18 is strange considering that the k04 file requested boost is 21 or 22 iirc. You have the APR IC correct?

FriggenT1

Banned
Yeah yeah. Charge and discharge pipes. Apr ic, uni dv relocation. Lil bit other stuff

So remember your IC is quite a bit larger than stock. I've been doing A LOT of reading on people's IC changes and boost dropping, etc. So, what I've gotten out of it is that an IC that flows better, cools better, and thus the air velocity is increased because cooler air is more dense, but the pressure can actually drop because hotter air makes pressure too. The point is the IC cools the air so much, that it allows you to increase boost by whatever loss you may have. The downside to that is the stock 5.5 WG preload is not strong enough to hold the faster, more dense air...so imo at least, WG preload should be upped along with wgdc, fuel, etc as needed. In some cases though, the stock WG just cannot handle the pressure, so then a forge, turbosmart, etc unit may need to be employed.

My IC is 1058 ci total
APR IC is 804 ci total
Stock is 350 ci

I've checked and checked, have had troubleshooting, diagnostic tests, pressure testing (both shop and my own), and everyone just seems to come to the "the turbo will do what the ECU tells it". This is true, BUT it can only do it if it has the mechanical ability to do so. The f23 comes standard at 8 psi, 5.5 psi for k04 (although APR k04 may be 6.5) forge yellow spring is 10-15 psi. I have finally come to the conclusion that there is nothing wrong with my car, but I don't want to pull the turbo to install the forge WG lol.

brobst

Go Kart Champion
Thats interesting. The IC did not seem to affect my stage 2 tune as significantly. I do not think my boost values changed.
Socal pnp set my k04 to 6psi cracking pressure which is factory spec, so it probably could be raised. I'll wait for an official response before tinkering just yet though. It could be the tune and the turbo just don't match right now.

FriggenT1

Banned
Thats interesting. The IC did not seem to affect my stage 2 tune as significantly. I do not think my boost values changed.
Socal pnp set my k04 to 6psi cracking pressure which is factory spec, so it probably could be raised. I'll wait for an official response before tinkering just yet though. It could be the tune and the turbo just don't match right now.

I would most definitely work with the tune first, I'm just giving you my personal experience. Iirc Alex from stratified also had said the bigger ICs and higher psi numbers will need a stronger WG, but I'm holding 19, sometimes 20, so imo that seems pretty good.

brobst

Go Kart Champion
I would most definitely work with the tune first, I'm just giving you my personal experience. Iirc Alex from stratified also had said the bigger ICs and higher psi numbers will need a stronger WG, but I'm holding 19, sometimes 20, so imo that seems pretty good.

I was not logging properly apparently. After logging again, it appears that I have a boost leak. Requesting 23psi and making 17psi.
http://datazap.me/u/brobst101/log-1495414728?log=1&data=1-4-5

brobst

Go Kart Champion
Always good to check for leaks, but meeting requested doesn't always mean a boost leak...like I said, sometimes the WG cannot hold the pressure.

Fair enough. I am going to start with a pressure test, and then I will move onto the wastegate if everything is good pressure side.

FriggenT1

Banned
Fair enough. I am going to start with a pressure test, and then I will move onto the wastegate if everything is good pressure side.

If you do, just make sure to log your fuel and such to make sure the added pressure isn't making the car run lean. If Andy is tuning it for you, I'd let him adjust everything first, and if you're still not where you want to be, move on to the WG preload