GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

$1000 budget for tires

MBorVW

Go Kart Champion
Hankook are the poor mans Michelin and they are 98% as good. If you like wasting money go for Michelin.

AF-MKVI

Go Kart Champion
One more vote for Pilot Super Sports, simply the best street tire I have ever used. Amazing traction in the wet, and the grip levels do not drop off much once you get past 20K miles like most other tires I have had. 30K warranty is nice also :)

JhnR

Banned
holy shit, $484 shipped!!!! that's fucking amazing. I need to see what other stuff they have, goddamn.

Yup, im gonna order mine today when i get home, im excited.

AF-MKVI

Go Kart Champion

DaveSTR

Go Kart Champion
860$ for Super Sports on Tire Rack. Get them if you have 1000$ to spend. They are the best street tire available. Thats what you asked for.

Aries Pope

Ready to race!
860$ for Super Sports on Tire Rack. Get them if you have 1000$ to spend. They are the best street tire available. Thats what you asked for.

^ This. If you got the cash and won't cringe every time you leave some of them on the pavement, get the PSS. If not, Hankook.

Thank God this thread isn't debating the aesthetics of the tread pattern differences between them!

GTI7871

Banned

AF-MKVI

Go Kart Champion
Hankook are the poor mans Michelin and they are 98% as good. If you like wasting money go for Michelin.

You have no idea what you are talking about, they are not even in the same league. Tested on a 328i the PSS was able to pull 1.07g's compared to the Hankook pulling .90... how much money would you spend on suspension mods to get that kind of improvement? How is that wasting money? Add in the fact that they actually last 30k miles, even with a track day or two added in, they are a performance bargain.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/chartDisplay.jsp?ttid=149

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/chartDisplay.jsp?ttid=148

870 is a large price tag to be honest, but i think a lot of people are forgetting the ONLY thing that is connecting your car and the road are your tires. If people are willing to spend couple grand on turbos and suspension, I think tires are one of the most important mods. the V12s are definitely good tires, like many of you have said, best bang for the bucks. But I think I will go for the PSS for safety and performance reasons.

DaveSTR

Go Kart Champion
870 is a large price tag to be honest, but i think a lot of people are forgetting the ONLY thing that is connecting your car and the road are your tires. If people are willing to spend couple grand on turbos and suspension, I think tires are one of the most important mods. the V12s are definitely good tires, like many of you have said, best bang for the bucks. But I think I will go for the PSS for safety and performance reasons.

This! The next best mod for the GTI besides Pilot Super Sports is - driver training. Then you can actually see how good the car is before you load it up with mods.

Djunited1

Go Kart Champion
I recommend maxxis maz1 or my current tires bf goodrich profiler.

XGC75

Go Kart Champion
Anyone tried the Sumitomo's? They're relatively cheap and fare well in Tire Rack's testing. That is, they're a bit more compliant in the commute but don't sacrifice for road feel, noise levels, turn in or ultimate traction. Sounds like exactly what I need.

Sumitomo HTR Z III (Max Performance Summer 225/45R17 94Y)

What We Liked: Impressive ride quality along with handling poise on the test track
What We'd Improve: A little more wet traction
Conclusion: An excellent blend of value, performance and civilized road manners
Latest Test Rank: 2nd
Previous Test Rank: 1st (July '07)

Lifted from Tire Rack