GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Stratified Flash Tunes Released for the MK6 GTI

MMKAY6

Ready to race!
I just received my Stage 2 tune from Stratified yesterday. They were very quick to get the tune to me and the whole process was very smooth. Ordered Thursday of last week, received a Q&A form the next day and sent it back the same day. If it wouldn't have been for Christmas and Boxing Day (Canada) they would have had a 48 hour turnaround which is quick in my opinion.
I'm really liking the tune so far; its smoother than the Cobb tune. The Cobb tune had an on/off switch feeling to it while the Stratified tune just feels smooth throughout the rev range.

I'm still having the DSG jerk during full throttle upshifts which I knew wouldn't be solved by an ECU tune so I'll keep hunting that issue until a remedy is found.

Great tune and so far seems to be a great company with good customer service.

tkelly0727

Ready to race!
I just received my Stage 2 tune from Stratified yesterday. They were very quick to get the tune to me and the whole process was very smooth. Ordered Thursday of last week, received a Q&A form the next day and sent it back the same day. If it wouldn't have been for Christmas and Boxing Day (Canada) they would have had a 48 hour turnaround which is quick in my opinion.
I'm really liking the tune so far; its smoother than the Cobb tune. The Cobb tune had an on/off switch feeling to it while the Stratified tune just feels smooth throughout the rev range.

I'm still having the DSG jerk during full throttle upshifts which I knew wouldn't be solved by an ECU tune so I'll keep hunting that issue until a remedy is found.

Great tune and so far seems to be a great company with good customer service.

Congrats on the tune, as for the DSG jerk during shits at WOT typically around the Rpm range 4000-4500 its been an issue for some. and apparently it dates back to 2016, i found this old post
https://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=105955

i found that you can avoid it by shifting later which would probably be ideal if your going WOT anyways. i got a DSG tune by IE and its a night and day difference makes the DSG a lot smoother without all the quirks from OEM software.

SnailPower

Autocross Newbie
I still plan on going k04 in the future, but I do agree that rowdy is a pretty good way to describe a stage 2 k03. Still puts a smile on my face every time it spools, lurches, and just goes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah but this initial torque hit is a false fast feeling. It falls flat just as quickly as the torque hits you. It's almost a ricer feeling in that you think you are going fast and can pretend to, but you aren't really.

K04 will always be faster overall, it's bigger than K03 in every sense to handle more output. Sure, there might be some increase spool time, but just how much more are we talking? Especially on high end, the two are night and day. K03 really falls flat at the higher speeds while K04 just keeps pulling.

I'll take a real power producer over thinking you are moving fast when you aren't really in the end... K04 has given me mixed thoughts since getting it. I know it's faster than K03 for sure but the consistency which is probably more tune related seems to throw me off.

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
Yeah but this initial torque hit is a false fast feeling. It falls flat just as quickly as the torque hits you. It's almost a ricer feeling in that you think you are going fast and can pretend to, but you aren't really.

K04 will always be faster overall, it's bigger than K03 in every sense to handle more output. Sure, there might be some increase spool time, but just how much more are we talking? Especially on high end, the two are night and day. K03 really falls flat at the higher speeds while K04 just keeps pulling.

I'll take a real power producer over thinking you are moving fast when you aren't really in the end... K04 has given me mixed thoughts since getting it. I know it's faster than K03 for sure but the consistency which is probably more tune related seems to throw me off.

Can agree to this. My girl will be in the car with me (Equivalent stage 2 tune) and she thinks were hauling ass when i accelerate to like 60-70mph... it certainly feels fast then when you look down and realize you're only doing 63mph your like oh huh.

Complete opposite feeling on my bike im like oh yeahh im just cruising around at a moderate pace look down at the spedo/tach and I'm doing 110mph+ usually.

That being said i wanna save up money and go k04 or a gtx28... ill most likely end up k04 because its cheaper and easier to do without the maybe needs/wants of rods and other bigger supporting mods to be more "safe" with the gtx.

MrFancypants

Autocross Champion
I’m on the other side of that one. As a card carrying member of the “slow car fast” cult I prefer the sensation of speed to actual speed when it comes to my street cars. I still appreciate fast cars, but I’ve never driven one that matched sheer lunacy of riding a motorcycle that could pull a low 10 second run through the 1/4. So I’ve always prioritized overall balance over horsepower with my cars.

SnailPower

Autocross Newbie
I’m on the other side of that one. As a card carrying member of the “slow car fast” cult I prefer the sensation of speed to actual speed when it comes to my street cars. I still appreciate fast cars, but I’ve never driven one that matched sheer lunacy of riding a motorcycle that could pull a low 10 second run through the 1/4. So I’ve always prioritized overall balance over horsepower with my cars.

I don't know man. I like to know I have the power available or that it is there. Even if I don't use it, it still feels manly to own it, lol. Pretending to drive fast, I honestly don't even know how to feel about that, hah! I can get where you are coming from. You rather not get speeding tickets and have the feeling you think you are fast, but in the end, you need to yield to the real roadsters out there, lol. :cool:

pdan

Ready to race!

Oh I agree, K04 is obviously a huge improvement over the stock turbo. I still have yet to get a ride in one. Unfortunately I haven’t had the opportunity to drive or ride along in a whole lot of fast stuff, apart from driving a jag f type V8 which was just loony. I’ve gotten more and more used to what the stage 2 equivalent tune puts out, but I am curious on what a K04 is actually going to be like as a daily when you have to shut it down most times after 3-4 seconds. Still not stopping me from upgrading relatively soon though.

SnailPower

Autocross Newbie
Oh I agree, K04 is obviously a huge improvement over the stock turbo. I still have yet to get a ride in one. Unfortunately I haven’t had the opportunity to drive or ride along in a whole lot of fast stuff, apart from driving a jag f type V8 which was just loony. I’ve gotten more and more used to what the stage 2 equivalent tune puts out, but I am curious on what a K04 is actually going to be like as a daily when you have to shut it down most times after 3-4 seconds. Still not stopping me from upgrading relatively soon though.

If you are Stg2 K03, you won't be WOW'd too much more with K04. The biggest change is the top end power being available. Like if you are going 80mph and drop the gears, you'll have plenty of pulling power available still to go. The overall torque and powa to get you to 80mph probably feels similar because both would get your wheels to spin so, you aren't really getting the power down per say. K04 making them spin harder while not touching the ground? lol

MrFancypants

Autocross Champion
I don't know man. I like to know I have the power available or that it is there. Even if I don't use it, it still feels manly to own it, lol. Pretending to drive fast, I honestly don't even know how to feel about that, hah! I can get where you are coming from. You rather not get speeding tickets and have the feeling you think you are fast, but in the end, you need to yield to the real roadsters out there, lol. :cool:

Yeah, I don't blame anyone for wanting more horsepower. It's kind of the natural car enthusiast thing to do. But for my money if I'm choosing between a K04 kit and a set of Ohlins coilovers I'm probably going with the coilovers.

I'll probably change it up later when I get another toy to play with. If I end up with something like an old NA Miata I might throw some horsepower at the GTI for giggles.

smanierre

Autocross Champion
Yeah, I don't blame anyone for wanting more horsepower. It's kind of the natural car enthusiast thing to do. But for my money if I'm choosing between a K04 kit and a set of Ohlins coilovers I'm probably going with the coilovers.

I'll probably change it up later when I get another toy to play with. If I end up with something like an old NA Miata I might throw some horsepower at the GTI for giggles.

Or just do it all like i'm working towards :thumbup:

ksandman

Ready to race!
K04 is for sure heaps faster on the top end. 4th gear pulled harder than 1-3 when I was k04. 1-3 on k03 feels like it pulls harder than my k04 did (feels fast but slow car crew checking in).

Since I believe the majority in here is talking about straight line speed, a well equipped K04 gti will be 1 second faster in the 1/4 mile. Just a quick search showed a lot of K04 cars going 12.3-12.5 while most K03 cars are in the mid 13s.

That’s a big gap. K04 is no slouch.

Thinking back now, I do remember one night a c6 corvette lined up next to me. I lost but only by half a car. The guy was tripped out asking me what was done to my car lol.

Like someone said in here though, the K04 didn’t wow me as much as I thought it would, but it was still a hell of a lot of fun, and waaaaay less complex than going actual big turbo. Good bang for the buck turbo that doesn’t require custom I/C piping or auxiliary fuel and it can be completed in your garage on jack stands.

I miss it at times, but if I did it again, I’d go with a gtx2867r like Alex mentioned.

DallasDub94

Go Kart Newbie
K03 (IHI) does feel faster on the low end simply because of the tq hit and how early it comes on. Falls off terribly on the top end though.

I'm working on a ported IHI setup with a upgraded comp wheel, ceramic coated, and a forge actuator. Should fall somewhere between stage 2 and ko4. Turbo needed replacing so I figured why the hell not. I figure direct port meth and E30 will put me on the edge of ko4 performance. Should be fun.

Ran my buddy (Allchokedup on here) ko4 2dr on just a ported turbo/forge wga, he beat me. I didn't get dragged though, still a decent gap... Rematch after new turbo and retune. He was on 93, I was on 91.

My current turbo is leaking badly from the center housing.. Exhaust isn't spinning the turbine wheel, shooting out the side of the turbo instead. Throwing off fuel trims up to 15% and hurting spool. According to him it sounds like a harmonica under throttle.

Pushing 23-24 psi on the stock turbo (lots of hot air lol)

Plan on going gtx2867r eventually, but I want everything else done first... Aux fuel, Suspension, Lsd, weight reduction, etc.

SnailPower

Autocross Newbie
K03 (IHI) does feel faster on the low end simply because of the tq hit and how early it comes on. Falls off terribly on the top end though.

I'm working on a ported IHI setup with a upgraded comp wheel, ceramic coated, and a forge actuator. Should fall somewhere between stage 2 and ko4. Turbo needed replacing so I figured why the hell not. I figure direct port meth and E30 will put me on the edge of ko4 performance. Should be fun.

Ran my buddy (Allchokedup on here) ko4 2dr on just a ported turbo/forge wga, he beat me. I didn't get dragged though, still a decent gap... Rematch after new turbo and retune. He was on 93, I was on 91.

My current turbo is leaking badly from the center housing.. Exhaust isn't spinning the turbine wheel, shooting out the side of the turbo instead. Throwing off fuel trims up to 15% and hurting spool. According to him it sounds like a harmonica under throttle.

Pushing 23-24 psi on the stock turbo (lots of hot air lol)

Plan on going gtx2867r eventually, but I want everything else done first... Aux fuel, Suspension, Lsd, weight reduction, etc.

This is the only reason I went K04. I never intended to but my K03 sh!t the bed at around 34k miles following APR Stg2 tune. VW quoted me over 2k for the replacement+labor. I thought OK, well I'm definitely not going to pay that much for OEM turbo, nor do I like buying used "important" parts unless I absolutely have to. Thus, I figure I'd get the K04 parts covered slowly which wasn't much more since I already had the DP due to Stg2.

Was still pricey overall, but I knew I was keeping this car for a while longer so it would be worth it. :cool:

DallasDub94

Go Kart Newbie
This is the only reason I went K04. I never intended to but my K03 sh!t the bed at around 34k miles following APR Stg2 tune. VW quoted me over 2k for the replacement+labor. I thought OK, well I'm definitely not going to pay that much for OEM turbo, nor do I like buying used "important" parts unless I absolutely have to. Thus, I figure I'd get the K04 parts covered slowly which wasn't much more since I already had the DP due to Stg2.

Was still pricey overall, but I knew I was keeping this car for a while longer so it would be worth it. :cool:

I had a spare sitting around I got for next to nothing, rebuild it, coat it, port it... Install it. If I was in the situation where I truly needed a brand new turbo, ko4 would be my choice. Brand new ihi is not worth the insane amount of money they want for them. And you're right that doesn't even include labor and everything else.

Also if I went with a ko4, I'd have to restart my tune.. Again.

When I do "upgrade" it'll be a gtx2867r

MrFancypants

Autocross Champion
I had a spare sitting around I got for next to nothing, rebuild it, coat it, port it... Install it. If I was in the situation where I truly needed a brand new turbo, ko4 would be my choice. Brand new ihi is not worth the insane amount of money they want for them. And you're right that doesn't even include labor and everything else.

Also if I went with a ko4, I'd have to restart my tune.. Again.

When I do "upgrade" it'll be a gtx2867r

This, definitely. If/when my K03 goes I don't feel such an attachment to it that I'd buy a brand new one to replace it. If I got a used K03 for super cheap I might be inclined to send it off to someone to be ported and coated, maybe if the person knew what they were doing modify the blades to move the powerband up in the rev range a bit...

But absent that a K04 would be the natural choice as the price isn't that much greater than a new replacement K03. I imagine a K04 capped at 300 crank horsepower would still be a really nice drive.

Another big concern for me with a K04 is heat. When I get to doing track days I'd rather have less power and less heat, as there's plenty of reports of K04 cars running "peak power" tunes that can't go for more than a few laps without overheating. I'd also rather not have to add 20-25 lbs of intercooler to the nose of the car and would prefer to stick to a lighter weight plastic Golf R intercooler. Of course the weight wouldn't be as much of a bother on a track, but for my day to day enjoyment where I spend most of my time chucking the car around tight corners in the 25-50 mph range the extra weight in that position would be intolerable.