GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Scoring on cam shafts and cam journals

KFahey

Ready to race!
Hi Guys,

I recently had my cam girdle resealed to the cylinder head because of some oil seepage I had. I'm at 98K miles. While the Cam girdle was off, my mechanic pointed out some scoring I had on my camshafts/journals and we attempted to get a cylinder head replacement under a third party warranty I have. Long story short, I was denied the claim because of my mods.

I just wanted some opinions of the wear that is shown in the pictures. I know you can only tell so much from pictures, But has anyone else seen similar wear like this on their engine? At what mileage?

My mechanic had to have his cylinder head replaced on his MK7 Golf R beacuse his journals wore down to an oil cavity on the head and had oil coming into his plugs. He was only at 40K miles, drives the car very hard, and also had oil leaking where the girdle meets the head.

I have just never heard of this issue with these vehicles. I change my oil every 5K miles and get at LEAST 4 quarts of old oil out.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/BRxWxJeAin9G96nR6

Uberryan

Banned
Did you ever get a "Oil pressure low, turn car off now!" message on the MFD? I ask because this looks like the product of oil starvation.

mkv_martinez

Go Kart Champion
So your car still runs and drives just fine, right? this sort of damage is the kind of thing that can indicate an issue with oil pressure/metal shavings elsewhere, but the motor itself still runs fine?

Would not surprise me to see this is a result of low oil or other oil issues. I've definitely gotten that Oil Pressure Warning mentioned above so I sure hope that isn't enough to cause it.

If the car runs fine and its a result of running low on oil but you no longer do that.. i guess it should be good.

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion
Have you ever inspected the oil pickup? Or the oil filter screen in the cam bridge or the screens on the balance shafts?

1ashchuckton

Autocross Champion
I had wear like that on another car, Mitsubishi Celeste aka Plymouth Fire Arrow. Engine builder told me it was due to the wrong oil & cold starts. Once the engine was rebuilt & installed I never had any problems due to the cam journals being worn like yours.

Plymouth Arrow for those who have never heard of it.

KFahey

Ready to race!
Car idles/drives fantastic. Never had a carbon cleaning either. I am getting one tomorrow though since my intake manifold is being replaced under warranty.

Car has never had low oil or a low oil light since i've owned it (bought at 39k miles).

Always used castrol edge oil. Just recently started using motul specific.

Updated my tensioner and replaced timing chains at about 70K miles and the screen had ripped on my cam bridge and was replaced but have not checked it since.

Installed a magnetic oil plug shortly after purchasing the car. I collect next to nothing when I change my oil. I always wait for idle to drop on cold starts as well before moving the car.

KFahey

Ready to race!
Oil was changed every 10K miles before I owned the car according to the car fax. This could be the result of abuse from previous owners. Or the fact that I've been K04 since 65K miles may be a contribution.

However, I have never tracked or launched the car. Just straight pulls every so often.

1ashchuckton

Autocross Champion
No idea what caused your scoring. On my car it was every 3,000 miles or before any rally or race weekend. I used Valvoline Racing oil 20W50, & on those cold Ohio mornings it starved the top end for oil on cold starts. I replaced the cam with a regrind racier version.

Since you bought your car with 39K there is no real way to know how it was treated. I'll bet you will be OK.

KFahey

Ready to race!
No idea what caused your scoring. On my car it was every 3,000 miles or before any rally or race weekend. I used Valvoline Racing oil 20W50, & on those cold Ohio mornings it starved the top end for oil on cold starts. I replaced the cam with a regrind racier version.

Since you bought your car with 39K there is no real way to know how it was treated. I'll bet you will be OK.
Appreciate the input. I'd like to think so too since the car has been running great. I can't help but think this will get worse over time though since it is already scored.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

1ashchuckton

Autocross Champion
Appreciate the input. I'd like to think so too since the car has been running great. I can't help but think this will get worse over time though since it is already scored.

My take is the damage has been done. Keep clean good quality oil in & do it sooner than 10,000 miles. Enjoy your car will be fine. :thumbsup:

KFahey

Ready to race!
My take is the damage has been done. Keep clean good quality oil in & do it sooner than 10,000 miles. Enjoy your car will be fine. [emoji106]
Thanks man. In the process of getting an intake manifold replaced under warranty and a carbon cleaning done. Will post pictures of build up on a new thread shortly here if anyone's interested