GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Riceburner goes from MK7 to MK6 K04...

Jaber

Modero
It's like you hear something akin of a clunk... a metallic clunk. i thought it could have been flywheel chatter. I often hear what sounds like the flywheel chattering when taking off from a stop or in reverse, and the noise is kind of like that, just short and more clunky.

Does the flywheel make any noise, while the car is in park and idling?

riceburner

Autocross Champion
it does not, that's the thing... haha. just kind of get the crashing/chatter type noise when downshifting or starting off in drive/reverse from a stop

riceburner

Autocross Champion
meh... lots of ppl report the same shit and say it's normal too. Idk. gearbox seems to do what i needs to do without much hesitation so idk lol

the op in this thread described it pretty well that the nosie is kind of akin to the sound of your doorlocks.
http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37554

riceburner

Autocross Champion
cleaned some shit UP yesterday!

Got with my bud Carson and had to redo a few things...

Basically, the godspeed or off brand intercooler this car has fits like hammered dog shit. When I took it out the other week to clean it out and fix some boost leaks, it was alrady held in by prayers and zip ties. wtf.. did NOT go back together nicely.

As a result, the radiator fan started trimming into the throttle pipe and made a small hole.

Then the skid tray popped off.

As a result of that the wheel liner and bumper to wheel liner plastic trim piece gave out as well.

Then the radiator fan itself broke.

So we replaced all that shit, new fan, BSH throttle pipe, and the upgraded skid tray (with turbo cooling duct) :)

Everythings great now! Fitment is great after MUCH finangling and some ingenuity.

46k miles

riceburner

Autocross Champion
latest updates:

APR RSC Catback, mated to the SPM Catted downpipe now. Sounds pretty awesome.
Maxton Designs rear spoiler extension. Some wont like how it doesn't cover the entire existing spoiler, I agree to that but love how it looks. Sorry I need to take some update pictures of my own car lol
And over the weekend picked up leather seats. The passenger seat had to be swapped onto my plaid seat skeleton which was... a bit of a process... but i got it done with no issue. Spent all day yesterday cleaning them up and am quite happy with the result. God damn is the drivers seat TIGHT when it comes to the bolsters!!

Also began a project akin to what cadman (i think?) did on here with re-stitching over the existing stitches with ed thread. Will be doing this to the whole seat when I get time.

20171029_123712.jpg

20171029_124534.jpg

20171029_153639.jpg

20171029_153707.jpg

riceburner

Autocross Champion
sorry all the pics are sideways up there.

Might continue stitching today, learned it would probably be best to double-thread it for a slightly more noticeable difference. Also would keep me from having to knot the thread on the needle which was a real pain because the knot got caught almost every time trying to pull through a stitch

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Picked up a unibrace! Going to install today, excited!

riceburner

Autocross Champion
the main underbody one.

The aim isn't NECESSARILY for improved handling but improving the actual ride.. On these streets, you can really feel the car just twisting and creaking over every bump and road variation and it just ruins the driving experience. Hoping to eliminate alot of that based upon some other reviews.

Following this will probably be new front strut bushings, and some new front and rear struts; not officially decided on konis or bilsteins but will choose the best streetable option eventually.

Once I have a chance to re-stitch the drivers seat I'm also going to rip apart the center console to rebuild it with a lot of sound deadening, foam, rubber, etc packed inside as right now its always making a bunch of noise over bumps. Also going to do the same when I find some matching leather to redo the door armrests.

PS here are a few pics of the passenger seat fully stitched. Took a ton of time, atleast 6 hours, but glad with the result for sure! :)

20171109_175355.jpg

20171109_194116.jpg

20171109_194133.jpg

20171109_194151.jpg

riceburner

Autocross Champion
i work 70 hours a week!

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
I dig it. I'd probably never embark on such a journey myself but it gives you something to do while sitting around listening to music.

Interested to see what you think of that under brace. I didn't think it did anything at all but I also had a lot of other suspension upgrades and braces/swaybars at the time I put the under brace on so it might have canceled it out. I've heard people with semi stock setups say they work great.

riceburner

Autocross Champion
thanks Jayster. we will see! if it does not markedly improve ride for me, i would probably sell it since the install/uninstall is so quick and easy

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Just test drove the unibrace. I think I like it... :D having no upgraded sway bar, besides the 'stress bar' up front, I can tell there is a difference. I pay alot of attention to how my car handles road imperfections, both abrupt and the rolling elevation changes. I can certainly say it helps a bit off the bat with the sort of shaky, quivering effect of certain bumps, and also helps you feel more planted and less susceptible to roll flex - especially when you look at the cheap stamped steel ones that the unibrace replaced! Holy cow, I knew they weren't THAT strong, but they can be bent literally with one hand!

More testing required, but so far, dig it.

DASVDUB

Drag Racing Champion
Nice! I'm looking for something other than the unibrace to replace those flimsy things. If anyone makes something like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk