GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Engine and EPC lights on after cooling fan replacement

CLT-GTI

Passed Driver's Ed
I just replaced the smaller (aux) cooling fan on my 2012 Mk6 GTI with 92K miles as it was not working and causing the larger fan to spin like a turbine to compensate. Common problem apparently.

I bought a new fan on ebay that stated it was an OEM replacement and installed it. I wanted to check if the fan worked before fitting everything thing back so just loosely connected the airbox and started the engine to make sure the fan was working which it was.

After fitting everything back and connected everything, on starting the car I now have a EPC and engine check light on and the engine is in limb mode. I think I had the connector from the air mass meter disconnected when I did the test. Would that have caused the engine check and EPC lights to come on? I gone through and double checked that there were no other connectors loose or disconnected and found none. You only need to disconnect the connector to the fan housing and the air mass meter to do the fan replacement.

Is there anyway I can clear this without a trip to the dealer or VAG workshop? Any suggestions would be helpful.

On a side note, I opened the old fan and one of the brushes had completely disintegrated. the second brush was almost worn out too. Makes me wonder if the other larger fan is going to suffer the same fate soon.

Hedgehodge

Passed Driver's Ed
Did you disconnect the battery? If so get back in the car and turn the wheel all the way to the left and then to the right , did lights go out?

Holy hell only 3 pages back these are old, sorry didn't notice

Last edited: