GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

My modest build

Injen1us

Drag Race Newbie
Let me be the first to say, props for tracking your daily. I agree completely that the VW community needs more driving and less parking/stancing. Tracking your daily driven car forces you to carefully analyze the cost, comfort, and reliability implications for each modification. :thumbsup:

Regarding the LSD, I completely agree that it's a big decision for those of us that daily our car. Both costs and logistics make it a challenge.
I'm like you in that I do nearly all of my own work, including clutch and rear main seal install, intake manifold removal for carbon cleaning, suspension, etc etc. I say nearly all my own work because there's always things like alignments, tire mounting/balancing, and then things like internal transaxle work.

When I finally decided to install an LSD, I went back and forth about installing it in the transmission myself. I was already planning on removal/re-installation of the trans to save on costs, and thought I could save some time by just doing it myself. At the end of the day, I didn't want to invest in specialty tools like bearing race pullers, etc. I ended up bringing the transmission to a reputable shop to do the LSD installation. Start to finish, it was a 3.5 day job. 1 day to remove the trans, 1.5 days for the shop to install the LSD, and 1 day to reinstall trans. (I have the exact work steps if you want them) Doing it this way allowed me to complete the install for $1500 (Peloquin LSD, fluid, bolts, install labor)

I will say this, that was some of the best money I've ever spent. :D

This is awesome input! Thank you.

I install most of my own stuff with a few exceptions being the turbo (i wanted the tune at the same time) and the clutch... as well as the meth.

For me the big deciding factor on doing the install myself vs someone else is time. I am an Army guy and dont have much leeway on not having a ride to a location. If a job is going to put my car out of service for more than two days i usually get it done somewhere else.

The LSD will be next. Possibly with a new clutch (or at least TOB). I have also been playing around with idea of installing a new 6th gear for driving efficiency.

I should mention the last part is because in a year i plan to go coast to coast in under 33 hours (SD to Jacksonville)

^^ lmao at comfortability and reliability. I daily and track my DD. My dd also doesn't have a back seat or anything behind the driver's seat really. It's lifted in the winter and hasn't *knocks on wood* left me stranded or broken down. You good.

I think this is one of the best parts about the GTI... it covers alot of bases other cars dont even come close. How many people track the same car they drive in the snow all while averaging >30mpg

sauceman101

Ready to race!
Let me be the first to say, props for tracking your daily. I agree completely that the VW community needs more driving and less parking/stancing. Tracking your daily driven car forces you to carefully analyze the cost, comfort, and reliability implications for each modification. :thumbsup:

Regarding the LSD, I completely agree that it's a big decision for those of us that daily our car. Both costs and logistics make it a challenge.
I'm like you in that I do nearly all of my own work, including clutch and rear main seal install, intake manifold removal for carbon cleaning, suspension, etc etc. I say nearly all my own work because there's always things like alignments, tire mounting/balancing, and then things like internal transaxle work.

When I finally decided to install an LSD, I went back and forth about installing it in the transmission myself. I was already planning on removal/re-installation of the trans to save on costs, and thought I could save some time by just doing it myself. At the end of the day, I didn't want to invest in specialty tools like bearing race pullers, etc. I ended up bringing the transmission to a reputable shop to do the LSD installation. Start to finish, it was a 3.5 day job. 1 day to remove the trans, 1.5 days for the shop to install the LSD, and 1 day to reinstall trans. (I have the exact work steps if you want them) Doing it this way allowed me to complete the install for $1500 (Peloquin LSD, fluid, bolts, install labor)

I will say this, that was some of the best money I've ever spent. :D

Just need a mig welder to run a bead on the bearings, and they'll warp enough to remove easily. The oven and freezer are your friends for doing work inside a transmission. Personally, I only needed a good dial gauge to set the preload, pretty certain that and a very good drill bit sized correctly for the diff itself were the only things I needed that I didn't already have in a fairly typical garage setup. Needed more specialty tools to do the CCT and timing cover work.

Roadrunner_GTI

Drag Racing Champion
Just need a mig welder to run a bead on the bearings, and they'll warp enough to remove easily. The oven and freezer are your friends for doing work inside a transmission. Personally, I only needed a good dial gauge to set the preload, pretty certain that and a very good drill bit sized correctly for the diff itself were the only things I needed that I didn't already have in a fairly typical garage setup. Needed more specialty tools to do the CCT and timing cover work.

After walking through the install with my local shop, if I ever need to do this job again I'll just do it myself. In speaking with both Gary from Peloquin and several installers, 95% of the time the factory case shims are reused. Peloquin's machining tolerance is +/- .001".

Either way, I thought $400 for installation was fair.

Injen1us

Drag Race Newbie
After walking through the install with my local shop, if I ever need to do this job again I'll just do it myself. In speaking with both Gary from Peloquin and several installers, 95% of the time the factory case shims are reused. Peloquin's machining tolerance is +/- .001".

Either way, I thought $400 for installation was fair.

Dude 400 bucks is a great price!

Injen1us

Drag Race Newbie
So ill be leaving the country for a while and this time will not be able to take my car; as such I decided to get my car into a more "user friendly" configuration for my wife to drive while im gone.

I took off the CF hood and replaced it with the heavy steel one.

I replaced my track battery with my spare 32lb Smart Start battery from o reillys (this was going to happen anyways really)

I also took out my Bride racing seat and put the OEM seat back in so my wife can have heated seats during the Oregon winters.

And i added the spare in the back so she isnt stranded if she gets a flat.

All and all this is about 100lbs of weight back on the car; bringing it to about 2900 depending on fuel. The car already feels a bit sluggish... but it also feels a bit more well behaved; like Batman when he is putting on airs as Bruce Wayne.

I have one more big drive im planning with the car before I leave and will make sure that gets its own thread/vlog.

resize.jpg

Injen1us

Drag Race Newbie
Two things:

First I dont think i posted my video of Willow Springs so here that is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GqN39Dt5u7M

FYI this was NOT my fastest lap. I didnt get any video of the following sessions.

Secondly, I am closing on a home in Oregon and about to leave Southern California. Next Monday I will be driving up the west coast (again) and vlogging about it on my channel.

The intent right now is to hit up mulholland dr (the snake) and then proceed up the 33 until it merges with the 5. Going to be about 14 hours of driving or so if I had to guess. But should be a dope video. Stay tuned for that

APRMK6GTi

Go Kart Champion
Two things:

First I dont think i posted my video of Willow Springs so here that is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GqN39Dt5u7M

FYI this was NOT my fastest lap. I didnt get any video of the following sessions.

Secondly, I am closing on a home in Oregon and about to leave Southern California. Next Monday I will be driving up the west coast (again) and vlogging about it on my channel.

The intent right now is to hit up mulholland dr (the snake) and then proceed up the 33 until it merges with the 5. Going to be about 14 hours of driving or so if I had to guess. But should be a dope video. Stay tuned for that

Damn, congrats on closing in on a home in Oregon. Still close enough to California haha.

Injen1us

Drag Race Newbie
Damn, congrats on closing in on a home in Oregon. Still close enough to California haha.

Technically we close on Thursday but at this point it's just signing papers. Either way thanks man.

Unfortunately I'll be in Korea for a year but the Mrs will be hanging fast in Oregon

Injen1us

Drag Race Newbie
Congrats on the home. My gf REALLY wants to move to Oregon. Maybe we'll be neighbors within a few years :iono: What tracks do they have out there?

Dude Oregon is amazing. We are moving in southern Oregon (Medford Ashland area).

As for tracks I know Portland has a few but I haven't looked. But there are lots of great roads to drive

Injen1us

Drag Race Newbie
New purchase coming.

Finally replacing my old beat up front bumper with this one from Rieger...

59530-pic1_1_1.jpg

It will take a while for it to be painted and on the car so do not get too worked up.

But either way im pumped

Injen1us

Drag Race Newbie
So i know it seems like Ive been away for a while... and the truth is that I have. But I have been making movies regardless.

The car is still being daily'd by the wife while I am away and so far there have been no issues (knock on wood). I should be back in a few months and when I get back the first order of business is to attach these two pieces:

Versus Engineering rear diffusor:
43705694_271758290139244_4438774504855961600_n.jpg

Rieger Front bumper (now paint matched):
1544618617023~3.jpg

I hope you guys are as anxious as I