GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Upgrade Break Pads suggestions

GolfRrrr

Passed Driver's Ed
Hi All,
I wanted to upgrade my break pads and wanted to see what are a good breaks pads to upgrade to from the stock ones. Currently I'm not planning to go with BBK but just better preforming than the stock pads. I'm open for suggestions. I don't track much but once or twice a year.

chris101

Ready to race!
Hawk HPS (significantly less dust and very good performance stopping power for the street) <-- what I got

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
Stoptech > Hawk for street, imho.

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
Stoptech Street Pads
Tyrol Bushings
SS Lines
ATE Blue Fluid

Overall best OEM DD Setup.

OR

Endless MX-72 brake pads
PowerSlot Cryo rotors
TyrolSport caliper bushings
Endless RF-650
RS3 vents
Steel brake lines

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
Z - where/info on RS3 vents??

TAZZ1

Ready to race!
OP, really you won't feel THAT of a difference by just changing the pads. If your stock pads are still in good shape, I'd save the money on something else, or save up and do a proper BBK upgrade. Just MHO

chris101

Ready to race!
I hated the dust the factory pads spit out.. why I went with the Hawk HPS (didn't want to go HP+ or DTC60 for a street car)

corrado917

Go Kart Champion
The compound bet.the R pads & GTI one might be the same.
However while you performance street pads give you more bite(Akebono Ceramic probably different), they generally give you more dust as well. I have Stoptech Street Pads, away better than OEM but just a bit dustier.

Advice: weekly carwash.

corrado917

Go Kart Champion

webcrawlr

Ready to race!
If low dust is the goal with initial bite slightly higher than OEM Carbotech 1521's are the pads you seek. This is what my wheel looked like after 300 miles of use with the 1521's. The green stuff is Sonax Full Effect, which turns red on contact with brake dust. The wheels weren't wetted or prep'd before Sonax was applied.

chris101

Ready to race!
people are going to be pretty particular or 'religious' about their brake pad choices I've come to realize.

Even at the track, people are very firm in belief that what they are using is the best.

If you have had past experience with a pad that you like, I'd recommend you go that route. Better yet is if someone has a pad in your area that you are considering, try them out and see if you really do agree and want them!

Gyntry

Ready to race!
I went with Hawk Performance up front and Hawk Ceramics in the rear. Main goal being a bit better performance up front while still killing the ridiculous amounts of brake dust from the stockers. The rears I went with ceramics for brake dust killing, while not really caring about performance as much.

Cheers.