GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What did you do to your MK6 2.5 today?

Dartregor

Ready to race!
So im looking for replacing my coolant hoses at the same time as my rad. Might as well being 9 years old. Probs not anything wrong with my oem ones but whatever.

My question tho is when i search for mk6 2.5 coolant hoses i get tons of results for the mk5. Are they the same or no. I didnt think they were.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wascally Wabbit1

Drag Racing Champion
So im looking for replacing my coolant hoses at the same time as my rad. Might as well being 9 years old. Probs not anything wrong with my oem ones but whatever.

My question tho is when i search for mk6 2.5 coolant hoses i get tons of results for the mk5. Are they the same or no. I didnt think they were.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do it by part number. Use one of the parts schematics or call a dealer and ask for a price. They'll check it against your VIN then ask for the part number so you can check it against the part you are replacing to be sure it's correct.

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion

I believe the coolant hoses are the same. They are constructed very similar to the BMW hoses. I haven't replaced the coolant hoses yet but have been checking them when ever I'm in there or whenever the Intake Manifold is removed.

For the Budget Conscious, so long as you don't get oil on them the hoses will last a long time, the area that fails is the plastic to hose union, the plastic section can pull out of the hose under pressure, if you worried you can replace the crimped hose bands with standard threaded hose clamps for a couple of bucks.

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
With my other car getting warranty work, I spent last Wednesday chasing my friends Porsches and BMWs all over Muskoka Ontario in the Golf. We drove over 600 km of great driving roads with twist and turns, elevation changes and swapped seats with my friends a few times, they were pleasantly surprised and send kudos to the little Golf. People make too much of what they think the Golf doesn't have. All you need to have fun with the Golf is tires and sway bar(s), the rest is in your head, .... turn of the mods and drive the car.

EDIT: I've driven the Tail of the Dragon a couple of times with the Golf loaded up with luggage, the difference is the Dragon is a busier road with tighter corners, the Musloka drive is alot faster next to no traffic and you're carrying alot more speed.

Last edited:

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
Agreed, but I have to say Stage 1 sure bumped the fun factor up quite a bit.
Ya no doubt it generally does but when you're at speed through corners you're more concerned with turnin and balance and stayin on the good side of the traction control. My friends hated this with a passion, I guess I've gotten used to drivin smooth and hard without it coming on, much.

One of the guys own a new Golf R, took him a bit to get used to a regular Golf with skinny tires but even he liked the balance, he going to upgrade the rear sway bar on his car.

Wascally Wabbit1

Drag Racing Champion
Ya I've never gotten too crazty with the 2.5L. But the first thing I did was upgrade the suspension and tires. Now in my TDI I have done some ridiculous roads in B.C. and Alaska and was always impressed with how the car handled. The drive from Anchorage to Vancouver in the golf was a lot of fun.

My buddy in Alaska used to love driving my TDI. I let him drive home from fairbanks after a trip to the races there once and I fell asleep and woke up somewhere around denali and looked forward and it looked like we were haulin ass. I look over at the speedo and were doing like 120mph and I look at my buddy and he's just got this ear to ear grin on his face. It was pretty funny.

Last edited:

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
One big problem of note, was the heating of the Rear Brakes, I felt the rear wheels and it looks like the rear brake temps kept going up, in fact a bit odd that it was higher than the fronts. I'm not sure it it was because of the unpredictability of the rural roads were were getting into the ESC, so much, maybe the rear brakes NOT getting cooled.

BTW, we were running the Hawk HPS pads, not the Porterfied R4s. Brakes were last bled in September when we swapped pads and serviced/lubed up the brake calipers and sliders.

Last edited:

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
Ya I've never gotten too crazty with the 2.5L. But the first thing I did was upgrade the suspension and tires. Now in my tdi I have done some ridiculous roads in B.C. and Alaska and was always impressed with how the car handled. The drive from Anchorage to Vancouver in the golf was a lot of fun.
:thumbsup: Same deal. You're an American driving through Canada, you can rip those roads and we don't throw you in jail. :lol: and we even give you a 35% discount on the ticket to boot.

Last edited:

Wascally Wabbit1

Drag Racing Champion
Hahaha. Very true. The Canadian police are very nice. I got pulled over in winter on the Alcan just north of Dawson Creek doing like 90mph (the road was clear). I think the speed limit was 80kmh so I was doing almost twice that. He was very nice and just told me to slow down and have a nice day.

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
WW do you Autocross? I've driven in Time Attack competitions but not a big autocross guy. I think with the IE SRI the Golf 2.5 becomes a better autocross MK6 than the GTI. It gives the Golf the power and rev flexibility to do well in an autocross, I'm not sure what the Pax penalties are tho.

Wascally Wabbit1

Drag Racing Champion
No. Never done it. I used to ride supermoto and they did autocross on the same track after our events sometimes so I've watched a few times. Looks pretty fun but I don't know about working the daily driver out that much. I work it out enough on the daily commute.

There is a new track that opened up in Torrance, CA by my mom's house. Looks really nice. I believe it is run by a Porsche club.

v1nn1e

Go Kart Newbie
New 312mm rotors and new padd with gti carrier

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk

KanyesChest

Ready to race!
You must always check 'em as assumptions causes problems, ... plus once I torque them and crush the sealing washers on the plugs I would hate to go back in, it just erks me to no end.:mad0259:

EDIT: Once you gap em to spec, use a needle nose pliers and gently place them in the spark plug wells, I knew a guy who used a splak plug socket with a loose retainer that allowed the spark plugs to fall into position, guess what .... when we checked the gaps after the spark plugs fell into position, ... they were all out of spec, the electrode would get bent when they fell in... .

Fixed up my spark plugs and swapped the coils today at the same time. I grabbed a magnetic spark plug socket, so I had no drops to worry about :D

Also, Mlue, where in Muskoka did you do your driving? BC has a lot of mountains, but I haven't had time to find any in Ontario. I'd love to find some twisty roads to drive on before the snowfall hits!

Last edited:

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
..., Mlue, where in Muskoka did you do your driving? BC has a lot of mountains, but I haven't had time to find any in Ontario. I'd love to find some twisty roads to drive on before the snowfall hits!
There are alot of them, Muskoka was only the start we were all over the place from breakfast to sunset, did over 600 km. The best one was the #507, just plug Catchacoma Ontario into the GPS and it will take you there. The #507 run is from Gooderham to #36 and then back but you can run the 507 North as well.

Enjoy!

Last edited: