GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Parking Brake Issue Due to Caliper?

Logan176

I just took my 2012 GTI to VW today to swap out the brake fluid and look at my parking brake because it's been pulling up too far... about 9 clicks... and the handle has an inch or so of play when the brake in disengaged. I was told the problem is a faulty brake caliper. Does this sound right?

Now, I usually change the pads and rotors on my cars. I only brought the car in because I don't like flushing brake lines. The pads and rotors on my 2012 GTI have 92k miles on them with a decent amount of pad left, but the rear rotors really should be changed due to rust creeping in from the edges. For changing the rear rotors, pads, the right caliper, and flushing the lines, VW quoted me $1,000.

Is it just me or does that sound ridiculously high? The parts, including shipping, from Deutsche Auto Parts is only $400.

riceburner

Autocross Champion
in for more info. my parking brake is the same way, and doesn't hold even when all the way up. i just did rotors and pads hoping that would help put everything back to spec but nope; not sure if this would be fixed by bleeding the brakes, if the parking brake needs adjustment, both, or if the caliper parking brake mechanisms are simply faulty, warranting replacement of the calipers.

Blakcard

Autocross Newbie
Did a quick Google cause just recently started having this issue and I was about to replace the cable..

then i found this

https://www.golfmkv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=172533

Scroll down to post #11.... can anyone validate this to be correct? I'm going to try it after to work to see if it corrects itself.

riceburner

Autocross Champion
^^^ copied below for referance, i am certainly going to try it when i get home!

STOP! Do not adjust the parking brake cable. The system is designed to be self adjusting. To adjust how the brake engages; get in your car, start it, press the brake pedal, release the parking brake. Then push the brake pedal as far as you can firmly, next push in the parking brake handle release button and hold it in, lift it as far as you can 2-3 times upward. Release the brakes. This will readjust the cable mechanism. If you have already adjust the cable yourself by other means you are SOL and have to undo the adjustment you have already made. If you think I am stupid ask someone with a bently manual or call a knowledge dealer (few and far between).

Wascally Wabbit1

Drag Racing Champion
I VW quoted me $1,000.

Is it just me or does that sound ridiculously high?

Yes and no. It is insanely expensive for changing pads and rotors, but that is the same price I just got quoted from my dealer so it seems inline with what the dealers charge. I was quoted almost $800 for new pads and to turn the rotors. I did it myself for $300 with new HPS pads and VW rotors so if they are saying they are going to replace the caliper as well it sounds about right compared to my quote. I would want to know why the Caliper has "failed". It either works or it doesn't so what has failed exactly.

Do the brakes yourself and have them do the fluid. That's what I did. The fluids like $100.

Wascally Wabbit1

Drag Racing Champion
^^^ copied below for referance, i am certainly going to try it when i get home!

STOP! Do not adjust the parking brake cable. The system is designed to be self adjusting. To adjust how the brake engages; get in your car, start it, press the brake pedal, release the parking brake. Then push the brake pedal as far as you can firmly, next push in the parking brake handle release button and hold it in, lift it as far as you can 2-3 times upward. Release the brakes. This will readjust the cable mechanism. If you have already adjust the cable yourself by other means you are SOL and have to undo the adjustment you have already made. If you think I am stupid ask someone with a bently manual or call a knowledge dealer (few and far between).

This totally works:w00t:

Logan176

Ok, so although the price to do the work is expensive, it appears to be in the ballpark of other quotes. I’m going to replace the rotors and pads on my own first. If cleaning out the calipers and regressing everything doesn’t fix the caliper, Then I’ll go out and replace that. I figure I can wait a bit because the brake still engages fine, even though the handle is a bit high.

On a slightly different note, when replacing and tightening the rear caliper carrier bolts, what torque setting am I supposed to use? Is that number the same for the front and back?

Logan176

Wow... Those rear carrier bolts are really a PITA to get out. I got one side done, but I’m waiting until the weekend to finish the other side while in my buddy’s garage. VW told me the issue with the ebrake was the return spring on the caliper. Is there any way to replace the spring without buying a brand new caliper?

Logan176

So, I just finished replacing the rear passenger side rotor and pads. And what would you know... my parking brake problem is miraculously fixed. The problem had nothing to do with the spring on the caliper. Although there was still plenty of pad left for braking, the piston on each caliper was out so far that the cable attached to the brake handle didn’t have enough play to allow the handle to firmly rest against the center console. That friggin’ tech at VW almost cost me $800 in parts and labor I didn’t need. Thanks again for everyone’s help.

Wascally Wabbit1

Drag Racing Champion
I live with 30 minutes of 6 VW dealerships and have done business with them all over the years and they are all terrible. It's hard to tell if they're incompetent or trying to rip you off. Sadly I think it's a little of both.