GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Technical Topics > In Car Entertainment, Electronics, Navigation, Phone (Audio / Video / Electronics / Etc..)

Old 10-03-2011, 09:28 PM   #1
davethetenor
Autocross Champion

Drives: 2012 GTI sunroof/nav
RNS 315 + aftermarket everything else + factory speaker wiring?

I have a 2012 GTI w/ factory nav and non-premium (aka not Dynaudio) sound. I am looking to keep the RNS 315 nav unit, but replace all factory speakers with components (probably Elemental Designs e9.65i) and add a 10" sub, all powered by a 5-channel amp (Alpine PDX-5?).

Is there a factory amplifier somewhere? If not, where are the crossovers for the components? If so, where is the amplifier, and is there a pin-out diagram available online? I'd like to preserve the stock speaker wiring because running new wires is a giant pain for an extremely minimal, possibly non-existent SQ gain. Therefore, ideally I would disconnect the factory amplifier and tap into the inputs (from the HU) and outputs (to the speakers) in that wiring harness. I did this in my BMW E46 330i and it worked well, using a JL Audio CleanSweep to normalize the signal.

Also, is there a pin-out diagram for the RNS 315 available somewhere? Obviously tapping in directly behind the HU is an option, but I couldn't reuse the stock wiring since it would still be connected to the factory amplifier unless I actually cut the wires (which I would rather avoid).

Would any of you who have been down this road with the non-Dynaudio system be willing to point me in the right direction? I've searched and have come up relatively empty.

Thanks in advance!
davethetenor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 09:53 PM   #2
Ray128
Autocross Champion

Drives: 11 CW GTI 4 dr 6-speed
There is no amp for the non-Dynaudio system.
Ray128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 10:41 PM   #3
maxtdi
GolfMK6 Elite

Drives: 370z,Golf TDI, Crown Vic
Add a JL stealthbox before you tear out all the stock speakers. You may like the sound enough to not f with the rest of the system.
Old 10-03-2011, 10:44 PM   #4
davethetenor
Autocross Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxtdi View Post
Add a JL stealthbox before you tear out all the stock speakers. You may like the sound enough to not f with the rest of the system.
Unfortunately I've had the car two days and I already know the system sucks badly enough to rip it out. Been through this exercise many times...
Old 10-03-2011, 10:48 PM   #5
davethetenor
Autocross Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray128 View Post
There is no amp for the non-Dynaudio system
Then how are the factory woofers and tweeters frequency-isolated? Based on what I've read, it appears to me that the head unit has eight pin-outs - left +, left -, right +, right - (front and rear). Are there separate crossovers somewhere, or do the stock speakers have crossovers wired up in-line? In other words, is the full signal being sent to each speaker, or is it being split somewhere along the line? What I wouldn't give for a wiring diagram...
Old 10-03-2011, 10:56 PM   #6
JewFro
FIA World Rally Car Champion

Drives: 2011 GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by davethetenor View Post
Then how are the factory woofers and tweeters frequency-isolated? Based on what I've read, it appears to me that the head unit has eight pin-outs - left +, left -, right +, right - (front and rear). Are there separate crossovers somewhere, or do the stock speakers have crossovers wired up in-line? In other words, is the full signal being sent to each speaker, or is it being split somewhere along the line? What I wouldn't give for a wiring diagram...
I'd put money on VW integrating the crossover directly into the speaker/tweeter. Can't help you with the crossover arrangement but I'm curious to know myself as I'm interested in replacing the front components.

Here is the pin-out (works for the RNS 315 too)
http://www.my-gti.com/1313/volkswage...in-assignments
JewFro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 08:31 AM   #7
Ray128
Autocross Champion

Drives: 11 CW GTI 4 dr 6-speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by JewFro View Post
I'd put money on VW integrating the crossover directly into the speaker/tweeter.
Pretty much. There's probably is a capacitor wired in right at the tweeter
Ray128 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
amp, components, rns 315, wiring