GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Front Driver's Turn Signal Always ON

Teddy Redskinz

Ready to race!
Solved: Front Driver's Turn Signal Always ON

Background:
Bought a set of ED's Headlights (HID Projectors) due to great reviews. Picked up a H7 35W Morimoto d2h kit with canbus for the lighting. There was no splicing as everything is plug and play. No additional mods have been made to the car.

Problem:
The Front Driver's Side Turn Signal is stuck on. It will not turn off unless Driver's side harness is disconnected from the connector on the headlamp assembly.

The problem seems to be coming from the car's wiring harness to the connector.

Symptoms:
Tested the wiring harness and there is constant power from battery/Cecm for the driver's side. The passenger side headlight harness does not have constant power which makes sense as the front passenger turn signal is fine. All turn signals are operating correctly with the exception of the front driver's turn signal.

DRL's have not been turned off as I have not been able to find someone with a VagCom. DRL warning on the MFD and check front light bulb.

Plea for Help:
Trying to resolve this without having to take the car into the dealership since they will most likely deny the warranty claim due to the aftermarket headlights. Alternative is to put everything back to stock which is a PITA.

Solution
Replace the CECM.
If warranty will not cover it then you will have to come out of pocket to replace the unit. PN is 5k0937087 and has a MSRP of $260 but can be found for $200 from VW OEM Online Part Dealers.

A few people contacted me with the same problem and most at some point had put in aftermarket lights in their cars. Ed's Lights, Spyders, HID Fogs...it was all over the place so a general warning is in place about tinkering with the lights.

Last edited:

Heartagram131

Go Kart Champion
When you plug in your stock housing the problem is still there yeah?

Teddy Redskinz

Ready to race!
When you plug in your stock housing the problem is still there yeah?

There is not enough clearance to plug in the stock housing without removing the bumper (harness is very short). I will proceed to this step if I cannot resolve it another way.

xHeartcoreboyx said:
I had something very similar, it was the fuse.

I will check on this tonight and see if works.

Ed got in contact with me and said it may be the bulb. I will put in the ones from my stock housing tonight and see if that resolves the matter.

Last edited:

nik

Go Kart Champion
I don't really know the specs on the Ed lights, but when I swapped out the front indicators for the Ebay error free LED indicators (someone on the tex has them too), the left one stuck on for me too, but it was very dim light. The vendor indicated that its just the circuits discharging and it should be gone in a while. I removed the light because I didn't want a dead battery in the morning, and replaced it on the way to work the next day. It didn't light up the secnod time and was fine since.

phd-12v

Go Kart Champion
halogen bulb in turn signal, not LED

steby

I have the same problem! Front driver side signal is stuck on. I just swapped both front signal bulbs out for new ones but that one is still lighted up.

2010 UG GTI, no vag coding done and euro switch w/o repair wire. My only mod so far is ed's headlight + euro switch.

No idea what to do next... So I took off that lighted bulb. Hopefully my side mirror signal is sufficient for now :/

phd-12v

Go Kart Champion
what euro switch do you have??? and Teddy do you have a Euro Switch?

steby

The one Ed sells: chrome trim, 4 positions. Off, auto, parking, low beam? Not too sure what the symbols are.

Last edited:

GTIJosh

Passed Driver's Ed
I have this issue too. I am guessing the hid (aftermarket ) overdraws current and sticks a contact internally in the cecm. My only other thought is if they somehow changed byte 18 as some people have had similar symptoms when doing oem hid conversions.

phd-12v

Go Kart Champion
needs a new CECM............ mine ends in 087g......even with the harness unplugged, you will still have a battery drain happening. you should get the cecm swapped for a newer one.