GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

turbo needs replacement. need opinions.

KDOG1

Ready to race!
so took my gti in for boost leak and possible carbon cleaning.. found out need to replace turbo and got a quote of 2700 plus 700 that extended warranty will cover.. at that price could i get a turbo upgrade kit.. 2k and im sure more for parts.. but with install get around the same price of 3400 or a bit more at an independent shop? do some myself too.. i need to make a defision before they begin im the morning.

any ideas or opinions on what to do woulf be appreciayed.. i can spend some more without issues.i love my car and need to keep it

KDOG1

Ready to race!
sorry about not very clear.....
is it worth just fixinng.. ?
should i and can indrive it for a bit (month max) without damage ?
is the upgrade about the same price as just replacing?

Blakcard

Autocross Newbie
There is a beavy of options available depending on what kind of set up you want and budget. I think if my turbo went I would go K04 plus tune. Some folks like Cobb or APR Or Uni... no matter what you choose your grin could get permanent status

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
sorry about not very clear.....
is it worth just fixinng.. ?
should i and can indrive it for a bit (month max) without damage ?
is the upgrade about the same price as just replacing?

Way cheaper just to replace stock turbo.

Going K04 is much more expensive than folks admit. A proper install would include.

Tune - 700
K04 kit - 2000
TBExhaust 3in - 1500
Intake upgrade - 300
Intercooler upgrade - 1000
Turbo and Turbo discharge pipe - get hi-flow - 380

It can be 5K for the above list if you buy top quality. And you can add $ to that for labor. You generally get what you pay for when buying parts.

In your case I would locate a stock turbo and have it installed by an independent shop if you can't do it yourself if you want to save money and get your car back on the road. About 1K for a new replacement turbo plus install and misc gaskets. Or if you know what is wrong with turbo it is possible to rebuild them under certain circumstances for waaay less than 1K.

SnailPower

Autocross Newbie

Going K04 is much more expensive than folks admit. A proper install would include.

Tune - 700
K04 kit - 2000
TBExhaust 3in - 1500
Intake upgrade - 300

It can be 5K for the above list if you buy top quality. And you can add $ to that for labor. You generally get what you pay for when buying parts.

In your case I would locate a stock turbo and have it installed by an independent shop if you can't do it yourself if you want to save money and get your car back on the road. About 1K for a new replacement turbo plus install and misc gaskets. Or if you know what is wrong with turbo it is possible to rebuild them under certain circumstances for waaay less than 1K.

This.

I went K04 and forgot about all the other payments that creep up associated to it. The K04 was close to 2k, then I had to get a new clutch disc which was around 350. Tune had to be upgraded, another 600 for APR. Then intercooler although I was able to wait the winter before upgrading this part. Another 600 here. Factor in labor costs if you can't do the installs and it adds up way more than a stock turbo replacement would go for, especially used.

SnailPower

Autocross Newbie
I'd like to add however though if you were thinking of getting an entirely new car just for additional power, THEN the K04 can satisfy that craving while keeping your same car. In that sense, it can be a bonus that we can just throw on a larger bolt-on turbo to our car without requiring A LOT more internal work.

MrFancypants

Autocross Champion

Tune - 700
K04 kit - 2000
TBExhaust 3in - 1500
Intake upgrade - 300

There are ways to reduce these costs significantly, but much of the cost savings comes from doing your own work. It’s still not as cheap as a K04 kit price tag might suggest, but the performance you get for the dollar is a very good value relative to the buy-in cost of upgrading to a higher performing car.

If you really like the car and intend to keep it, get the K04 and expect some additional expenses. If you do not intend to keep it, shop around and see if you can get a better deal on a stock turbo.

KDOG1

Ready to race!
I'd like to add however though if you were thinking of getting an entirely new car just for additional power, THEN the K04 can satisfy that craving while keeping your same car. In that sense, it can be a bonus that we can just throw on a larger bolt-on turbo to our car without requiring A LOT more internal work.
agreed... i have been itching to get an upgrade.. either R or possibly evo.. but i am just goin k04... told stealership to replace called when the opened.m(dropped off day b4 hr before clpsing and they saidnwell we alreary took out your old turbo.. i was quoted about 1300 i believe jus for the turbo 2 tires oil change and checking carbon cleaning needed 3400 for everything... getting out of there with 1100 spent turbo out 2 tires and rest done.. giving to shop to install k04 with parts aeound 2200 plus a tune since i sold cobb.. should i get another cobb or try out( i think its unitronic) they said i could nuy cable and get custom tune there aswell.. so 1800 ko4 and 500max install but less cause turbos out. 3300 for k04 or stock turbo for 3400 i think im makin a good decision...:) cant wait.. going to splurge on other stuff aswell jus cause.. cmon classifiedsz! haha. so cars a diff beasst k04?

SnailPower

Autocross Newbie
agreed... i have been itching to get an upgrade.. either R or possibly evo.. but i am just goin k04... told stealership to replace called when the opened.m(dropped off day b4 hr before clpsing and they saidnwell we alreary took out your old turbo.. i was quoted about 1300 i believe jus for the turbo 2 tires oil change and checking carbon cleaning needed 3400 for everything... getting out of there with 1100 spent turbo out 2 tires and rest done.. giving to shop to install k04 with parts aeound 2200 plus a tune since i sold cobb.. should i get another cobb or try out( i think its unitronic) they said i could nuy cable and get custom tune there aswell.. so 1800 ko4 and 500max install but less cause turbos out. 3300 for k04 or stock turbo for 3400 i think im makin a good decision...:) cant wait.. going to splurge on other stuff aswell jus cause.. cmon classifiedsz! haha. so cars a diff beasst k04?

You'll get more tire spin and top end power. I think a lot of it depends on the tune. Definitely go with Unitronic and tell me how it is. I'm on APR and hate a lot about it. Like zero low end power and then wheel spinning surge at high end. It's not fun to be honest because it's like race car or nothing when driving it. I heard Unitronic is more balanced out with some low end and high end having a smooth climb.

U-20T

Go Kart Champion

Tune - 700
K04 kit - 2000
TBExhaust 3in - 1500
Intake upgrade - 300

Uni ko4 kit with tune is 2300
Uni IC is 600
Uni Intake 350
Uni DP 600

If you went all uni its $3850 in parts, you do not need the hi flow pipes to hit advertised #s and dont need a turbo back but you will need a DP.

slowgti08

Ready to race!
Uni ko4 kit with tune is 2300
Uni IC is 600
Uni Intake 350
Uni DP 600

If you went all uni its $3850 in parts, you do not need the hi flow pipes to hit advertised #s and dont need a turbo back but you will need a DP.

Also if Manual, a clutch, and if DSG, a tune.

damagi123

Go Kart Champion
You'll get more tire spin and top end power. I think a lot of it depends on the tune. Definitely go with Unitronic and tell me how it is. I'm on APR and hate a lot about it. Like zero low end power and then wheel spinning surge at high end. It's not fun to be honest because it's like race car or nothing when driving it. I heard Unitronic is more balanced out with some low end and high end having a smooth climb.

are you on the APR 3.1 tune? I think the fact that they limit the torque under 4k makes it really daily friendly. I get that it can feel a little doggy down low but it means you can pretty much floor it and get great performance without super feathering it like you used to have to. Plus I think that huge shove at 4k make it feel even faster than it is.

Ive driven k04 on UNI in a 12 GLI and its totally different. Yes you get more torque down low but you also can do a 3 gear burnout without even trying to which seems fun but not if you have to live with the thing every day.

just to give another take on it

damagi123

Go Kart Champion