GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

**Review** Noise Pipe Plug Mod

siagolf

Ready to race!
Hi All,

Just a quick review on Raven6t9's (from GolfMK5) billet noise-pipe plug that I installed earlier this week.

Background

The noise pipe plug plugs the branch of the throttle-body pipe that feeds the noise pipe with air/boost. The theory behind this is that you're "wasting" boost since some of your boost, however minimal, is still lost to feeding the noise pipe to generate more "vroom vroom" sound in the cabin. Claimed gains of the plug include: improved throttle response and a quieter cabin.

A ton of info, DIY guide, and pics of these plugs can be found here: http://golfmk5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44094

Interesting point: apparently the "noise-pipe" is only found in North American cars and not in their European counterparts...anyone across the pond care to confirm?

Price

I paid $45 for the Billet Noise Plug + 4 knurled-end screws shipped to Canada. I believe he sells them for $40 shipped anywhere in the US.

People have also used other types of plugs that they've found in Autozone, Home Depot etc. with varying success. Long story short -- although these plugs are a lot cheaper (~$3?) a lot of these Autozone/Home Depot-type plugs have popped out under hard-driving/heavy boost, some even leaving dents in the hood at the force they've been shot out at. Read the thread above if you want all the gory details.

Installation

BE VERY CAREFUL AS ANYTHING DROPPED DOWN THE TB-PIPE CAN MAKE IT'S WAY INTO YOUR ENGINE! There's basically 2 ways you can install the plug:

1. Remove the entire noise pipe assembly and install the plug at the TB-pipe.

2. "Stealth Install" -- install the plug at the TB-pipe and reinstall the noise-pipe hose over the TB-pipe to hide the plug.

I chose to do the Stealth Install to avoid any potential service/warranty hassles down the road. The Stealth Install also protects the rest of your engine just in case the plug actually does pop out -- it'll pop into the hose which has been securely re-fastened around the TB pipe instead of shooting at your hood and ricocheting around your engine bay...A couple points from my experience if you're planning to DIY:

1. If you've removed the stock airbox (for an aftermarket intake, for example) this install will be much easier as you'll have much more room to work with in accessing and removing hose clamps.

2. If you're planning to go with the stealth install you literally only have to loosen the hose-clamp identified in #3 and remove the torx screw circled in red in the pics below.

Once done, you can slowly but strongly start pulling the hose off the TB-pipe, and once released it will swing out of the way (I rested it on the rad cover) to give you more room to access the TB-pipe. I was originally told to remove the clamp at #2 also, but I found that to be unnecessary...which made my life a lot easier.

3. Once the TB-pipe opening is exposed, your nightmares can begin. There is a fk'n POS metal sleeve :mad0259: in the TB-pipe that needs to be removed before you can install the plug. Why, you ask? Because people who have installed an earlier version of this plug in the TSI engine without removing that metal sleeve have had their plugs pop out under hard-driving/heavy boost. I think this only happened to one person, but the maker of these plugs chose the safer road and redesigned the TSI-plugs to fit only when you remove that metal sleeve, so that (a) he could have a thicker rubber seal with the plugs, and (b) the knurled screws that comes with the plug can get a secure grip against the plastic of the TB pipe (the grip they get against the metal sleeve is not as secure). The FSI engines DO NOT have this metal sleeve.

Getting this metal sleeve out is difficult to say the least. There's a number of methods that you could try, and they're discussed in the GolfMK5 thread I've referenced, but to summarize:

* some type of thin hooked tool to catch the edge of where the metal sleeve meets the rest of the TB pipe and pull (good luck),

* Squeeze the outside of the TB-pipe where the metal sleeve is using a C-clamp, pliers etc. to hopefully compress the metal sleeve enough to give needle nose pliers something to grab, and pull (runs the risk of cracking your TB-pipe),

* use a 1.5" expanding plug (can be bought at Autozone, Home Depot), insert it in the TB pipe where the metal sleeve is, start expanding it until it's tight and PULL HARD hopefully popping the metal sleeve out with it (people have had the most success with this method)

...or you could do what I did: try different varieties of the methods above for 2.5 hours, swear a lot, smoke a lot, drink a bit, and finally go to your shop, explain and show what you're trying to do, watch them pull the metal sleeve out in 2 mins using essentially a "reverse-plier" type tool (as they squeeze, the teeth/ends expand out).

4. Before installing the plug in the exposed TB-pipe, pre-seat the 4 screws. Don't overtighten the screws against the TB-pipe as they could expand the pipe causing leaks.

Impressions

Do I find the cabin quieter? Yes, although not by a lot and this is not the primary reason I did this mod.

Is throttle response improved? Yes, I did feel a noticeable response improvement. The car feels more immediate under acceleration and generally "pulls stronger". I stress the word FEEL here because this mod should not net you any HP/TQ gains -- you're just more efficiently using what you already have/make. Some folks who have boost gauges with this mod have noticed an increase in their peak boost by 1-2 PSI, others have noticed their boost climb quicker. I can't comment on either of these observations as I do not have a boost gauge -- yet. But I personally did notice an improvement to throttle response.

Conclusion

Worth it for $40/$45? Yes, as long as you have a plan for getting that metal sleeve out!

Anyone else running the noise-pipe plug that can add their experiences/impressions? As always, comments, feedback, questions etc. welcome and greatly appreciated!

Hope this helps others out there! :)

Last edited:

roadking26

Passed Driver's Ed
This is something I'd like to do, too. I couldn't find Raven6t9 to send a PM -- can you help with a contact link? Thanks.

Cybe

GolfMK5 Graduate
He's on GolfMKV. I'm sure he'll be around shortly.

I re-used my Autozone plug from the MKV on the MKVI; Since the rubber hose is large enough for the plug but the plastic tubes on either end of it are too small to swallow it up, I figure wedging it in the hose is risk-free.

I'll say this - Raven's plugs have come a long way, and the MKVI pieces are very nice.

siagolf

Ready to race!
This is something I'd like to do, too. I couldn't find Raven6t9 to send a PM -- can you help with a contact link? Thanks.

You can find him on the link I provided in my original post. You'll have to setup an account in the golfmk5 forums so you can send him PM's, or reply directly to that thread as he watches it quite closely.

jgs5607

Ready to race!
Thanks for the review; a mod that seems worthwhile to me.

Have to think about getting the sleeve out issue; if you can get a dremel tool cutting disk in there, cutting a groove in it to weaken it may make it easier to get out.

I have also read that the Tiguan pipe will also effectively do the same thing since the Tiguan does not have "noise feed"; set you back a few more $$ though...........

siagolf

Ready to race!
Thanks for the review; a mod that seems worthwhile to me.

Have to think about getting the sleeve out issue; if you can get a dremel tool cutting disk in there, cutting a groove in it to weaken it may make it easier to get out.

I have also read that the Tiguan pipe will also effectively do the same thing since the Tiguan does not have "noise feed"; set you back a few more $$ though...........

Yup the Tiguan pipe pretty much does the same...I think they're going for close to $100 though.

I really don't recommend the dremel approach as any shavings/debris from the cutting is going straight down into your throttle body and potentially into your engine...if you're convinced to cut, make sure you stuff a rag down the TB pipe TIGHT to catch all the shavings and be very careful when you pull it back out.

Apparently a little WD-40 between the metal sleeve and TB-pipe will help too...seeing how tight that metal sleeve was in the TB-pipe, I'm not sure, but it's worth a try!

joema2

Ready to race!
...Anyone else running the noise-pipe plug that can add their experiences/impressions?...
I had Raven's noise-pipe plug installed on my MKVI GTI by APR during the stage 2 install. I asked them to do the "stealth" install because it was a little quicker and as a safety measure in case the plug came loose.

The APR technician did the plug install and said he encountered no difficulties.

I can't comment on the performance differences, as I had stage 2 done at the same time, so it's obviously much faster.

However the cabin is significantly quieter than stock. This is despite picking up a little noise from the APR intake and downpipe. The added noise from the mods is more than compensated by the increased quietness from the noise pipe plug.

I personally think the noise pipe is ridiculous. They jump through hoops to cut every penny from manufacturing costs and decrease noise. Then they add this entire assembly which increases costs, hurts performance (if only slightly) and increases noise. Underhood, it looks like some huge government-mandated emissions device, but no -- they added it voluntarily.

roadking26

Passed Driver's Ed
Thanks again, siagolf, for the great documentation on this procedure. I got on to MkV forum and sent a PM to raven6t9.

siagolf

Ready to race!
Thanks again, siagolf, for the great documentation on this procedure. I got on to MkV forum and sent a PM to raven6t9.

You're welcome -- glad you found it useful. Make sure you add your thoughts on the plug once you have it installed!

I personally think the noise pipe is ridiculous. They jump through hoops to cut every penny from manufacturing costs and decrease noise. Then they add this entire assembly which increases costs, hurts performance (if only slightly) and increases noise. Underhood, it looks like some huge government-mandated emissions device, but no -- they added it voluntarily.

+1 the big :confused: for me is they apparently only added it to North American cars...as if some type of market research they conducted showed that North Americans valued the "vroom vroom" sound more than actual performance improvement...:confused:

Slow

Passed Driver's Ed
i did this a few weeks ago when installing my bsh intake. i defiantly noticed the cabin was quieter, you dont get that fake turbo sound when you go into boost anymore. i also picked up 2 psi

Raven6t9

Noise Pipe Plugs FTW!!!
He's on GolfMKV. I'm sure he'll be around shortly.
You dont know me.;)

i did this a few weeks ago when installing my bsh intake. i defiantly noticed the cabin was quieter, you dont get that fake turbo sound when you go into boost anymore. i also picked up 2 psi

Glad to hear you like it, I see theres a few of you on this thread that are running my plug.:w00t:
Ya know, if you guys are interested I can do a full DIY on this with pictures just like I did here with the FSI.
http://golfmkv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44094
I'll just need a volunteer, if someone wants to buy a plug and an Audi firewall door from me then can install it for you for free and do a full noise pipe delete wrote up on it for this forum.:thumbup:

Raven6t9

Noise Pipe Plugs FTW!!!
Im all set up on this forum now, so if anyone has any questions just shoot me a PM on here, I know this mod like the back of my hand and can answer pretty much every question partaining to this as well as supply a few plugs.

kdumbril

Passed Driver's Ed
I recieved my plug yesterday and just finished the installation....here is my suggestion:
- remove the entire TB or inlet pipe - a little extra work, but you then have no concerns about dropping something down the pipe while trying to get the sleeve out.
- I used the plug to remove the sleeve, I simply removed the rubber seal, seated the grub screws a little, and carefully pulled on the lip of the plug with pump pliers....a couple of seconds and it was out.
- installed the plug with a small amount of thread locker
- put everything back....

Raven, I have a question - why not use a smaller diameter rubber and seate the plug in the metal sleeve? The sleeve is there to offer support for the jubilee clip when tightning the hose?

siagolf

Ready to race!
Raven, I have a question - why not use a smaller diameter rubber and seate the plug in the metal sleeve? The sleeve is there to offer support for the jubilee clip when tightning the hose?

I believe folks were doing this by using the MK5-plug into MK6's, and it led to some plugs popping out under hard driving conditions. With the new plug in, the TB-pipe is still supported (by the new plug) when you tighten down the hose clamp.