GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Are you guys running 91 or 93 tunes with 92 fuel?

Maximo

Passed Driver's Ed
Moved from NM and all we had was 91 so that is what my apr tune is set at but now that the fuel is 92, should I go up to 93 and would that cost me anything?

Plinyyounger

Ready to race!
I was told at the time of my install that I could use higher octane in a lower setting, but NOT to use a higher setting with lower octane. The pros on here can confirm but better safe than sorry.

TRUboost

Go Kart Champion
I was told at the time of my install that I could use higher octane in a lower setting, but NOT to use a higher setting with lower octane. The pros on here can confirm but better safe than sorry.
This. Never run a lower octane fuel than what's required for the tune. Stick with the 91 map.

syonxwf

Go Kart Champion
Moved from NM and all we had was 91 so that is what my apr tune is set at but now that the fuel is 92, should I go up to 93 and would that cost me anything?

To answer your question, I don't know that I would necessarily run the 93 map on 92, but in this thread (post #15 and #18) the guy says he runs logs while running 92 oct on his 93 file and hasn't had any timing pull during WOT runs, only sporadic minimal timing pull during partial throttle, low load pulls.

On a side note:
If you have a place nearby that sells 101 oct fuel, you can combine the 92 and 101 to create 93 octane, which works just the same, though it is a little spendier than just having 93 at the pump (which pretty much nowhere in Washington has).

On a completely empty tank, you need 12.89 gallons of 92 octane, and 1.61 gallons of 101, to make a 93 mix. I always end up going more around 1.75, and not needing the whole 12.89, which gives me a higher octane, but that's not a bad thing.

Maximo

Passed Driver's Ed
That seems like too much work to do just to jump from 92 to 93. Guess I will stick with the 91.

Thanks guys, appreciate it.

syonxwf

Go Kart Champion
It's really not too bad to be honest. You can bring in a gas tank to some fuel distributors and buy as much or as little 101 as you want. Grab a 5 gallon can, fill it up, and then basically split it into 3 separate tanks when you go to fill up with 92.
The difference isn't that noticeable that I've felt though, but I've never run more than 1 tank of 93 before switching back to 91, so maybe I'm not giving it enough time to learn the map...:lol:

socal87

Drag Race Newbie
The 76 on Auburn Way across from Auburn Chevrolet (in Auburn in case you were wondering) sells 101 unleaded at the pump. $9.98 a gallon. Might be cheaper to mix fuel with something else, though with some solvents you risk damaging your fuel system...

Toluene is a safe bet, as it is one of the main components of gasoline, and is a pure hydrocarbon.

Last edited:

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
You can run a 93 tune with 92 in the tank quite safely. Under some circumstances the ECU may pull a little timing but it won't be much and the ECU can handle that easily. What is really in your favor is the cool climate. You won't need to add any race fuel to run this.

If you really want gains run the 100oct file and add water/meth system. I run 91 octane fuel and a water/meth system and a race file in my K04 daily driver.