GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

First time modder, don't know where to start

ibeatsaitama

Ive been reading and looking at peoples mods on here and im feeling a little overwhelmed and just not sure where to spend my time and money first. I have a base 2.5 two door and im looking to make my car gti-y. I was just wondering what people say is the first thing i should change and look into aside from suspension which was mentioned as first on the sticky write up for first time modders. i want to change the exhaust but not to something obnoxiously loud because i still live with my parents, just a deeper note. Also looking at changing the headlights, intake and widening the stance with spacers. Finally, im from canada so if anyone has good sources for parts or places that ship to canada cheap that would be really helpful, Thank You!

CHerna

Ready to race!
Welcome neighbor!

Lucky for you, the forum has lots of useful information. Many of my questions have been answered with a simple search.

I believe a number of catbacks exist for you car, which will probably be your best bet for sound.

Lots of people on here go with Ed's reps (http://www.becautoparts.com/), as a far lighting.

Lucky for us, there are many after market wheels to choose from. ECS ships to CA, but I'm not sure about the cost related however.

Enjoy your car, there is plenty to mod!

nickp1

Ready to race!
If you can buy wider wheels do so instead of spacers.

TUNE TUNE TUNE! stage 1 is a great buy.

Then follow with exhaust and intake which at stage 1 are not really neccessary but will provide the nice turbo sounds and a louder engine tone.

zrickety

The Fixer
I have a formula that has made me pretty happy. Dollars best spent-
Subframe mount (HPA or similar)
Control arm bushings (large rear position, Whiteline or the like)
Stage 1
Catback, I loved HKS on my MKV (same axle back as your 2.5)
Have fun and good luck!

Speeddemon691

Go Kart Champion
I have a formula that has made me pretty happy. Dollars best spent-
Subframe mount (HPA or similar)
Control arm bushings (large rear position, Whiteline or the like)
Stage 1
Catback, I loved HKS on my MKV (same axle back as your 2.5)
Have fun and good luck!

X2

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FF_animal

Ready to race!
Stage 1 tune. Intake. Good rubber and some bracing. Have fun and move on from there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
TUNE TUNE TUNE! stage 1 is a great buy.

Then follow with exhaust and intake which at stage 1 are not really neccessary but will provide the nice turbo sounds and a louder engine tone.

He has a 2.5....no turbo

The 2.5 is limited for power/mods (outside of custom turbo stuff, $$$$), but an exhaust and intake will definitely make it sound nice.
Suspension mods & wheels would be the next place to look/upgrade.
And, of course, you could do cosmetic upgrades like the bumpers/side skirts/headlights stuff & what not

Last edited:

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
LOL Grambles. He was a very knowledgeable MOD, but he hasn't been here in nearly 2 years.
Grambles was cool..
But what about Bender.

Also OP i think a intake and catback would be nice for you.