GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Rusty O2 sensor bungs: Normal or Unusual?

blue_mkvi_gti

Ready to race!
Hopefully this is one of the last posts I make on this forum before I can finally move onto the mk7 forum. I recently sold a used Eurojet downpipe on here in April. Its stainless steel, modular v-band, comes with test pipe and 200 cell cat; $700 new, I sold as a package deal with an APR intake for $390 shipped, shipping turned out to be $70. He paid with paypal using the purchase goods option instead of friend so fees were taken out therefore I got less than the agreed upon price... whatever. Well over a month later buyer wants a refund because the O2 sensor bung is rusty and he can't get it loose. He didn't look at it until now and in his opinion the rust has rendered the downpipe useless. I will fully admit the bungs are rusty however; I believe this rust is the normal "operational" condition, especially considering the pipe was sold for dirt cheap, is over 7 years old, has huge temperature swings and was driven through at least four New England winters. Every year I had to take off the O2 sensors from the test pipe, and install on the cat section for annual state inspection. I've been working on cars for 17 years and know everything is not perfect or straightforward. It wasn't easy but some PB Blaster and an occasional blow torch always loosened the bungs and O2 spacer up just fine; i.e., totally normal car work. I won't even get into the fact that he bought a used car part from a classified ad on an Internet forum, buyer beware, pay to play or the time I bought an $800 frankenturbo on here that turned out to be actually broken and I sucked it up because that's the risk I took. What I'd like to know from my fellow car guys is do you think rusty bungs are normal or unusual? i.e., does the buyer deserve a refund or not?

Photos I posted on for sale ad: https://photos.app.goo.gl/DfzdNyYU9uH74BF26

Last edited:

brobst

Go Kart Champion
Bro my o2 sensor spacer is rusted onto the pipe i think. Perfectly normal for salt belt area. The dp is exposed so its going to rust

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion
Dude sounds kind of lame. Don't refund him, he got a great deal too. I wouldn't be surprised to find rusty bungs when buying old exhaust pieces especially one from a salt belt state. It's not even the end of the world, he could totally get it removed with a little extra persuasion, like a torch.

blue_mkvi_gti

Ready to race!
Unfortunately it’s not my decision to give a refund or not. Because he paid on PayPal as if I was a real business instead of some dude parting out his car all the power is in his hands. I can either keep arguing my point and he retracts the refund request, wait until time runs out and refund is automatically given or I give the baby his bottle, honor the refund and hope he actually ships it back. This is so stupid, it will be $50 to ship back. If anyone is selling parts on here I’d suggest only taking payment through Venmo, with PayPal the seller has zero protection and buyer has all the power. Now he’s saying it’s not the rust but the pictures didn’t show the condition enough. I don’t get it, if the pics weren’t up to his standards then why did he buy in the first place? I would have been happy to provide more pictures, just like I did for the guys I sold my catback and intercooler to. I have been following this forum religiously for four years and would argue he got the best deal on a downpipe I’ve ever seen on here.

blue_mkvi_gti

Ready to race!
It just keeps getting better. Just saw he's selling his car and parting out. Didn't get around to installing the downpipe I sold him, now trying to get a refund two months later because he'll no longer be needing it

clownish

just clowning around
Sounds like he’s trying to screw you out of money because he’s selling his car / doesn’t know how to work on a used part.

Who is the buyer from this forum? Would like to avoid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

realcyberbob

Go Kart Champion
Sounds like he’s trying to screw you out of money because he’s selling his car / doesn’t know how to work on a used part.

Who is the buyer from this forum? Would like to avoid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This.

blue_mkvi_gti

Ready to race!
I rather not unless need be. I hate to even have to make this thread; the forum market has been good to me over the years. My mk6 was loaded with parts from honest, well informed members. He said, “I don’t have a leg to stand on.” I laid out all the facts, pictures and got members with thousands of posts, who know these cars inside and out agreeing with me. I hope he realizes how ridiculous his request is, drops the PayPal claim and learns a lesson.

Last edited:

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
add that information into your paypal dispute. They will investigate and if they see the links of him selling his car and stuff they can agree with you. They dont always screw over the seller.