GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

ChiChat17: Boosted Learns How To Cook

Status
Not open for further replies.

OmniGLH

Autocross Newbie
yeah.. IL... we talk about leaving too. Just would have to pull everything together otmake it happen and work would have to be cool with me going remote 100% of the time, which may not be cool, esp now that i may be managing a support group here downtown. I would love RI, wife likes it too, or NC, etc.

For me it's ultimately going to come down to being able to find work.

I worked remote 100% for a few years, my last years at Microsoft.

There are advantages. But it's not the slice of heaven most think it is (usually those who have never done it.)

It's nice being able to run a quick errand, or bust out a load of laundry or run the dishwasher between meetings. It's nice to know you're generally home to sign for packages, etc. Attending meetings without pants is nice.

But you also never leave work. It's a fine line between "working from home" and "living at work". Even if you have a short commute, you don't get that daily transition period of leaving work and driving home. Also, it's likely your spouse and definitely your kids will fail to understand the WORK part of "working from home." Expect a lot of interruptions. Then there is the loss of the "hallway conversation" - so much gets done by people just dropping by my desk, or me being able to pop over to talk to someone. It's too easy for people to log out of the IM or phone software and become unreachable.

If I ever work remote 100% again, I am going to be sure I have a 100% dedicated ROOM, with a DOOR, that will be JUST for WORK. The only thing in that room will be work stuff. Work PC, work papers, etc. I'll have a separate desk elsewhere in the house for my personal PC, personal papers, the usual stuff you'd keep in a "home office".

When I'm not working, the door to that office space will remain closed. I will force myself to have "hours" and will only go in that room when on the clock. Otherwise lines get blurred.

Not a bad idea. Tuition is fucking expensive. Pick a community college and save a lot of coin.

Yes I agree on community college, regardless of his intended major. Get the generals out of the way for cheap, earn the basic Associate's degree, then go away to the 4 year to focus on the important classes. Plus it allows him to mature a little more before being bombarded with frat parties and all the other bullshit.

My better half disagrees with me here so this point remains undecided on Jr's future.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
AGREED, Jim. I have a hard time feeling as productive at times, or shutting things off when i need to, and yes, the family interruptions are a huge issue, mostly during the summer when people are home more, etc. and my wife is home one of the 2 days a week i do WFH, which sounded nice at first, but yeah, lol....

OmniGLH

Autocross Newbie
Atlanta almost happened for us. A lot of people say it’s pretty awesome. That humidity doe. I still want to get back to AZ. F’ing love that place.

Yeah I know, I hate humidity and the SE has a lot of it.

I have a friend who lives in the Atlanta burbs. He actually relo'd from Barrington to Atlanta, then Atlanta to Austin... then back to Atlanta. He says "Atlanta FTW". Says overall the car scene is better, the general scenery is better/prettier, and it's not as oppressively hot in the summer.

Same for moving / tracks, etc. SE ftw , TRACK ALL YEAR.

Yep. Kills me seeing my buddy from Atlanta, or the few friends I have in Austin, posting pictures in JANUARY doing track events and autocrosses... or photos of being outside washing the cars....

oh wow - Hagerty - thats funny, I talked to them a while back about their HPDE insurance program, and any opportunities there - same with Lockton. And I agree with you, moving to Traverse City.. yuck. Lockton would have required going to Overland Park KS... :iono:

What was the stuff for Hagerty? hpde ins related or ?

Well my buddy is talking to them about a C-level position. I'd ride his coattails lol.

would be nice for somewhere like there or the south where for $250K or whatever, you get a great house that doesnt break the bank.

Yeah the one thing I always forget tho is... how is *income* gonna be impacted?

At my current income level, the next place could be in the $450-500 range. I get daily Redfin alerts of places all over Atlanta in that range - gorgeous, gorgeous places. Stuff that would be in South Barrington up here for $900-1.0+.

But then I start to wonder if I'd have to take a major hit to the salary when relocating down there too... so maybe 450-500 isn't an option anymore. Unless I work out staying with my current employer and working remote most of the time.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
Yeah I know, I hate humidity and the SE has a lot of it.

I have a friend who lives in the Atlanta burbs. He actually relo'd from Barrington to Atlanta, then Atlanta to Austin... then back to Atlanta. He says "Atlanta FTW". Says overall the car scene is better, the general scenery is better/prettier, and it's not as oppressively hot in the summer.

Yep. Kills me seeing my buddy from Atlanta, or the few friends I have in Austin, posting pictures in JANUARY doing track events and autocrosses... or photos of being outside washing the cars....

Well my buddy is talking to them about a C-level position. I'd ride his coattails lol.

Yeah the one thing I always forget tho is... how is *income* gonna be impacted?

At my current income level, the next place could be in the $450-500 range. I get daily Redfin alerts of places all over Atlanta in that range - gorgeous, gorgeous places. Stuff that would be in South Barrington up here for $900-1.0+.

But then I start to wonder if I'd have to take a major hit to the salary when relocating down there too... so maybe 450-500 isn't an option anymore. Unless I work out staying with my current employer and working remote most of the time.

At our place, I dont hear about any hits to income.. so , if you making good money and go to the lower cost of living place - its a win win.

ATL - yes. A friend of mine went from here to there to work for coke in IT stuff and he is a car nut, cars all year long, track days, etc. its awesome, and yeah, im mad jelly. plus he owned a GT4 for a while, so.. even more so.

aha, C-level for him, and you would be in IT then?

houses - im done paying for houses, no matter how much i make, unless we get a crazy boost in income, im down with having more land/property, a humble / moderate home, and having money for cars , toys, trips, and retirement. I'd prefer to keep the living costs down if i can.

speaking of toys... Yamaha FZ-09 - kinda want one. lol.

DASVDUB

Drag Racing Champion
For me it's ultimately going to come down to being able to find work.

I worked remote 100% for a few years, my last years at Microsoft.

There are advantages. But it's not the slice of heaven most think it is (usually those who have never done it.)

It's nice being able to run a quick errand, or bust out a load of laundry or run the dishwasher between meetings. It's nice to know you're generally home to sign for packages, etc. Attending meetings without pants is nice.

But you also never leave work. It's a fine line between "working from home" and "living at work". Even if you have a short commute, you don't get that daily transition period of leaving work and driving home. Also, it's likely your spouse and definitely your kids will fail to understand the WORK part of "working from home." Expect a lot of interruptions. Then there is the loss of the "hallway conversation" - so much gets done by people just dropping by my desk, or me being able to pop over to talk to someone. It's too easy for people to log out of the IM or phone software and become unreachable.

If I ever work remote 100% again, I am going to be sure I have a 100% dedicated ROOM, with a DOOR, that will be JUST for WORK. The only thing in that room will be work stuff. Work PC, work papers, etc. I'll have a separate desk elsewhere in the house for my personal PC, personal papers, the usual stuff you'd keep in a "home office".

When I'm not working, the door to that office space will remain closed. I will force myself to have "hours" and will only go in that room when on the clock. Otherwise lines get blurred.

Yes I agree on community college, regardless of his intended major. Get the generals out of the way for cheap, earn the basic Associate's degree, then go away to the 4 year to focus on the important classes. Plus it allows him to mature a little more before being bombarded with frat parties and all the other bullshit.

My better half disagrees with me here so this point remains undecided on Jr's future.

Based on my experience do exactly what you’re thinking. I walked out with $15k in debt instead of $50k+. Community college helped me mature and realize fucking around doesn’t get you anywhere in college hence it made me give a shit. And because I was paying for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OmniGLH

Autocross Newbie
At our place, I dont hear about any hits to income.. so , if you making good money and go to the lower cost of living place - its a win win.

At Microsoft they adjusted your salary based on some internal COL calculations they had.

When I was living in Seattle, they were building out a team in NYC and wanted me to relo there.... but they were only giving a 10% COL increase to do it. No thanks.

I had a coworker take it... then he moved back about a year later. When he came back, they took away the COL bump he got.

When I moved from Seattle to Chicago there was a lot of talk about it happening to me but it never did. I'm not sure how much of that was because my manager kicked ass (she did, she was awesome) and how much is because, while we did have offices here, I was officially "remote" so maybe the COL changes didn't apply.

aha, C-level for him, and you would be in IT then?

No definitely not IT. I'm a blend of software dev, and program manager - but with extensive digital marketing understanding. I'd go there to help them head up their digital marketing efforts. Rumor is they're considering building their own ad platform and bringing it in-house (vs. farming it all to outside vendors and platforms.) Right up my alley.

houses - im done paying for houses, no matter how much i make, unless we get a crazy boost in income, im down with having more land/property, a humble / moderate home, and having money for cars , toys, trips, and retirement. I'd prefer to keep the living costs down if i can.

Yeah that's where I'm at too. :) Our house is nice but not retarded, and a big portion of the budget goes to the toys in the garage. Smart... no, not really... but dammit I want to enjoy my life.

I don't need 4000sqft. Honestly the wife and I would be happy in a 1500sqft townhouse. The hard part is the garage. Most places that have a nice, roomy garage, come attached to a large house. Nobody seems to build 1500sqft townhouses with oversized 3 or 4 car garages lol.

3 words. North Carolina Jim. :thumbsup:

I love NC. I have a good friend who lives in Charlotte, and another former coworker from Microsoft whom I stay in touch with in Raleigh. I also used to travel to NC a lot when I worked for Motorola.

Beautiful state, low COL. Raleigh also has a reasonable "tech sector" tho it's mostly medical. Part of why I'm bored as hell at work but trying to branch more into product/program management is because I can possibly leave adTech for a different industry.

Based on my experience do exactly what you’re thinking. I walked out with $15k in debt instead of $50k+. Community college helped me mature and realize fucking around doesn’t get you anywhere in college hence it made me give a shit. And because I was paying for it.

Yeah. And as we learned this last year, Jr. is prone to the popularity contests. He has some growing up to do in HS. Skipping all the freshman year bullshit that seems to snare a lot of kids into their first F's, etc. by keeping him closer to home at CC just seems like a better idea to me.

Plus I'm a firm believer in not only "not what you know, but who you know" - but also "work experience". By college I'd like to see him working in a capacity above "checkout clerk at the grocery store" and working in some kind of environment that's at least somewhat related to where he wants to go.

I worked FT while in college and that was a big leg-up over my co-graduates, being able to show I had multiple years working in a professional environment.

The one advantage to staying here in Chicago is the connections I have through the PCA. A lot of biz owners, etc. in that club and they all have known Jr. since he was 4 years old.... so the potential to "hook him up" with a gig is very real.

Jaber

Modero

Yup, this is what I love about our new house, a dedicated office. While it is shared between the wife and I, it has plenty of room for both of us to have a desk and our own area on each side of the room. Beats having to work from the couch or kitchen island at our last house lol.

Cadubya

Autocross Newbie
Community college is where it’s at. I worked as an automotive technician when I got out of high school. Got like 3 degrees and all my automotive certs. Then decided (because my body sucks) I didn’t want to crawl under cars for the rest of my life. By then I was like 23 and no longer a dependent. Considered poor by the federal government. Applied to ASU and a couple other colleges. Applied for grants. Basically got my business degree for free. #thanksobama

dustbunny227

Autocross Champion
Community college is where it’s at. I worked as an automotive technician when I got out of high school. Got like 3 degrees and all my automotive certs. Then decided (because my body sucks) I didn’t want to crawl under cars for the rest of my life. By then I was like 23 and no longer a dependent. Considered poor by the federal government. Applied to ASU and a couple other colleges. Applied for grants. Basically got my business degree for free. #thanksobama

I really wish I did community college. I never figured out what I wanted to do and now I have a useless degree. :(

DASVDUB

Drag Racing Champion
Yeah. And as we learned this last year, Jr. is prone to the popularity contests. He has some growing up to do in HS. Skipping all the freshman year bullshit that seems to snare a lot of kids into their first F's, etc. by keeping him closer to home at CC just seems like a better idea to me.

Plus I'm a firm believer in not only "not what you know, but who you know" - but also "work experience". By college I'd like to see him working in a capacity above "checkout clerk at the grocery store" and working in some kind of environment that's at least somewhat related to where he wants to go.

I worked FT while in college and that was a big leg-up over my co-graduates, being able to show I had multiple years working in a professional environment.

The one advantage to staying here in Chicago is the connections I have through the PCA. A lot of biz owners, etc. in that club and they all have known Jr. since he was 4 years old.... so the potential to "hook him up" with a gig is very real.
This. All of this.

Wow. I definitely didn't get my degree for free. Worked FT all year round and 80-100/week in the summers.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
right on, Jim - all good points, esp on the housing and living your life, etc, and if your paying for shit , at least make it fun shit, I agree! same here on friends and connections here.

COL adjustments - wow, no - we have not heard about that for our group/company, so dang, micoballs being tough there. f that.

agreed on community college too, guise. I did the same, before doing nights school program to finish up at a 4 year. Good stuff.

Cadubya

Autocross Newbie
ChiChat17: HBD-JY6 - Users Reporting Jay745 Birthday

^ dont want.

340 hp, 3300 lbs is what they said on broadcast you posted. k04 gti will be faster .

3750 lbs you can get a mustang with 460 hp.

Unless the engine is super tuneable and makes great gains i see a flop out of the starting gate

z4 variant, not doing it for me.

Lol what? The mustang is a pig. It weighs 3700+. Dynamics brah. It’s not all about paper racing. Not like it’s hard to make power with the bmw straight six turbo. Shits gonna be bomb AF!

Jaber

Modero
nissan 370z makes 350 hp in a 3300 lb car with 6 cylinders as well.....congrats toyota youre only a few years late to the game. Cant wait to see the over inflated price tag on these.

Visions of the latest NSX flop are appearing

I think partnering with bmw on this one was its downfall. Last time toyota/scion partnered with someone (subaru)...they delivered a decent car (brz) but with far too little power as well.

Like i said..this better be easy to tune. I hope youre right.

Don't listen to this guy, according to his profile he drives a Saturn!

clownish

just clowning around
ChiChat17: HBD-JY6 - Users Reporting Jay745 Birthday

^ dont want.

340 hp, 3300 lbs is what they said on broadcast you posted. k04 gti will be faster .

3750 lbs you can get a mustang with 460 hp.

Unless the engine is super tuneable and makes great gains i see a flop out of the starting gate

z4 variant, not doing it for me.

I ran a buddy’s stripped FBO 350Z a few days ago and I was at full weight k04; both of us with a passenger. We rolled at 40 in 3rd and I wasn’t in boost. He yanked on me hard in 3rd till I built - maybe his rear bumper to my front end. Once I hit however he got left behind. 3-4 car lengths gone almost instantly. I’d upload video but not really sure where to put it.

A stock modern mustang GT has no chance either. A lightly modded one also gets put down hard. Run from a dig or a roll either way they are too slow to move once boost is built. The older gen mustang GTs are even easier. Turbo and super chargers don’t matter - I know from personal experience. All this in a little k04. Sometimes on 110 race gas.

Status
Not open for further replies.