GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Oil consumption

Wascally Wabbit1

Drag Racing Champion
Curious how much oil you guys are burning between oil changes. My tdi didn't burn any in the entire 130,000 miles I had it. It looks like the 2.5L burns about 1qt every 5k or so. I usually put in half a qt every 2500 miles or so. I guess that's not a lot and I am not concerned but it seems about 2 qt in between changes (every 10k miles) is the norm for me.

Edit - I know this has been asked a bunch but if you read the posts rarely does anyone answer the question. They simple start debating oil change intervals or oil weight preferences...or just slam the op for asking the question.

And I have been driving it nicely just to test but still the same. Whatever it is what it is.

Last edited:

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
Curious how much oil you guys are burning between oil changes. My tdi didn't burn any in the entire 130,000 miles I had it. It looks like the 2.5L burns about 1qt every 5k or so. I usually put in half a qt every 2500 miles or so. I guess that's not a lot and I am not concerned but it seems about 2 qt in between changes (every 10k miles) is the norm for me.
I did have what I thought was an oil consumption issue when I removed the manifold(s) there was more oil in the bottom, we found the spring in the Air/Oil Seperator (PCV) found the spring mounted crooked and out of place, after correcting the spring position, the oil consumption is maybe 200~300 millilitres over 10K km (6k miles). I should maybe post about this for the GTI guys, as a crooked spring can lead to a blown Rear Main Seal for them; even if I believe they ignore me. :laugh:

Since you don't use the stock PCV, it maybe something else.

Wascally Wabbit1

Drag Racing Champion
Ya. I believe by removing the IM and running the valve cover vent to the intake you are pulling a much weaker vacuum and removing vacuum to the valve cover causes an increase in blow by and I hear it can be significant. Combine that with higher revs (actually I hear bogging is even worse) and you have set yourself up for burning more oil.

Wascally Wabbit1

Drag Racing Champion
Thanks. I don't recall having an issue until I changed the stock IM/valve cover setup. I think it really goes back to vacuum. With the stock setup, the valve cover is under a fair amount of vacuum. I was really surprised. I added very stout hose when I added the catch can and it collapsed no problem. I had to go to metal braided. Now the vacuum is nothing really since I am not pulling from the intake manifold anymore. A light breeze vs a tornado. And I think it really does have an effect on how well the rings seal. Here is a good article on vacuum pumps that explains vacuum to the valve covers and why it's important.

https://www.enginelabs.com/tech-stories/tech-how-external-vacuum-pumps-free-up-horsepower/

I think the lack of vacuum is what is causing an increase in oil consumption.

I guess the better question and title of this thread should have been "Has anyone experienced increased oil consumption after installing the IE manifold."

It is also likely that the issues I was having with the MAP sensor and PCV were exacerbated by somewhat excessive blowby causing an already problematic setup to be even more problematic. Meh. Whatever. I am going to get my oil changed this weekend and do an oil consumption test and probably up my oil change interval to every 5k. If I can get to 5k without adding any oil and roll in for the next oil change a quart low (at the min level on the dipstick) or add half a quay to keep it in between the lines. I'll call that normal.

Last edited:

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
...It is also likely that the issues I was having with the MAP sensor and PCV were exacerbated by somewhat excessive blowby causing an already problematic setup to be even more problematic. Meh. Whatever. I am going to get my oil changed this weekend and do an oil consumption test and probably up my oil change interval to every 5k. If I can get to 5k without adding any oil and roll in for the next oil change a quart low (at the min level on the dipstick) or add half a quay to keep it in between the lines. I'll call that normal.
Thats a great read thanks, ...new perspective!

I use Castrol 5W30 oil pretty much all the time, I check it but seldom add any even when I loose 200~300ml so long as the level is still between the lines on the dip stick, you should be fine even at the low mark.

In general ALL German cars burn some oil, compared to the Japanese manufacturers. I believe it is part of there engineering philosophy BUT now with the increased European Emissions Standards they are having to build tighter engines in the last decade, as a result all the high end German manufacturers are experiencing bore scoring at an alarming rate, especially in colder climates. The 2.0T and the 2.5 are based on the older philosophy, I'd rather burn oil than have bore scoring.

Just my 2 cents

Anyway on my way to the Roebling Road Track to see if I can pay to get on for some Laps.

damagi123

Go Kart Champion

Wascally Wabbit1

Drag Racing Champion
.... GTI guys; even if I believe they ignore me.

They Ignore me to...when I try and get them to race me on the fwy they just putz along. Lame. They're still gonna beat me. I'm just trying to get an idea of by how much. Granted my car is an exact replica of a tdi (only giveaway is the lack of a shark fin) so I am sure that throws them off...and the sound coming from under the hood.

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
They Ignore me to...when I try and get them to race me on the fwy they just putz along. Lame. They're still gonna beat me. I'm just trying to get an idea of by how much. Granted my car is an exact replica of a tdi (only giveaway is the lack of a shark fin) so I am sure that throws them off...and the sound coming from under the hood.
It's all fun for me, people get bravado from the car and mods they have and think they are always right.

Change the rear valence and add the GTI muffler thats all it is, ... would CARB have a problem with that?

Back on topic: I was thinking that one way to check your theory is to do it old school like the article.
Get the vacuum by creating the venturi, .... .by drilling a hole in your exhaust pipe clamping sleeve connector that connects the down pipe and CAT with the rest of the CAT Back system and weld a 3/4 inch pipe at 45 degrees , and connect it to your catch can, or directly. If it doesn't work out, just buy and install a new exhaust pipe clamping sleeve connector.

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine...MIhMj3r76r3AIVlS-BCh0PsAK7EAQYAyABEgIM8fD_BwE

For your eTest just remove the hose and plug the pipe, if it is not open and leaking they shouldn't have a problem.

Thoughts?

PS. You'd be breaking new VW ground here, this mod has never been done on this forum, ... cos they are busy Ignoring me... sorry I couldn't resist. :lol:

For the test you may not have to weld, if the hole and pipe are tight enough so under heat expansion it's not loose you could simply use a regular metal hose clamp around the clamping sleeve to hold it together and to seal it with some exhaust paste that they use to seal oversized exhaust pipe adapters, when it hardens from the heat it gets pretty hard at least it should last for the test period.

Last edited:

Wascally Wabbit1

Drag Racing Champion
I actually considered that initially but people complain about smoke from the tailpipe. One thing I did consider and am still contemplating is tapping a 5/8" or 3/4" hole in the IM and running my vent line there like the stock setup.

I actually had a gti exhaust I bought but decided against it as I like the look of the single side exhaust. I did steal the chrome tips from the TDI though.

Last edited:

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
I actually considered that initially but people complain about smoke from the tailpipe. One thing I did consider and am still contemplating is tapping a 5/8" or 3/4" hole in the IM and running my vent line there like the stock setup.

I actually had a gti exhaust I bought but decided against it as I like the look of the single side exhaust. I did steal the chrome tips from the TDI though.
My original though as well, but not many people willing/want to spoil a nice piece like the IE Intake Manifold (SRI).

The location of the original MAP Sensor isn't great, but it polly has to be close in proximity to the throttle body as well as the bell mouths an in an area of low turbulence.

IDK :iono: about tapping the location of the big 5/8 or 3/4 inch vacuum bong tho. One think to consider should you do this, the vacuum taps that IE provided are located at the bottom, when oil builds up inside it will get sucked into those vacuum taps on the bottom, and they are small in diameter.

Thoughts.

Wascally Wabbit1

Drag Racing Champion
Ya. I am just chalking the oil loss up to removiving the PCV. With the connection open all the time and adding as big a ID vent line as possible it's able to move a lot of air (and oil). I went 10an up to 12an all the way across (basically 3/4”). The car purrs like a kitten at idle and doesn't miss a beat on accelerating so as far as I'm concerned it is golden. I think I underestimating how much oil I am draining from the catch can. My setup is exactly as IE designed it so no sense monkeying with it. I will however continue to drive it like I stole it.

Last edited:

Wascally Wabbit1

Drag Racing Champion

Here's a vid of my rabbit up against a gti.

https://media1.tenor.com/images/ad7f5014b4eb8de55096a8066a2e0cca/tenor.gif?itemid=11190286

I'll go post that over at Vortex and watch the hate pour in.