GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Changing Windshield Wiper Blades CHEAPLY on MK6

reedsposer22

Ready to race!
So, I searched the forum for changing windshield wiper blades on the MK6 GTI and there was not much out there offering a comprehensive guide. Thus, here it is, all in one thread for you.

This issue came up the past weekend (4/26/14) because I was at dealer for a tire swap, and I asked if they would also replace my worn out wipers. They said yes, for the cheap Volkswagen fee of $45 dollars we will gladly do so. I said HELL NO to DAS RAPE and went to the forums here to see where people get cheap blades.

The cheapest blades and highly rated blades come from Amazon, you get two blades for ~$25, WAY cheaper than dealer! Link to them is here:

http://www.amazon.com/Bosch-3397118..._3?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1398785666&sr=1-3

Here is picture of the box mine came in, they shipped in 3 days, install was super easy, and they have already made a huge difference in all this Chicago rain:

I searched the forums here and found this thread from 2010 on proper positioning of the blades for when you get ready:
http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4053&highlight=wiper+blade

Here is another thread started on 3/28/14 discussing replacing blades as well, although it is not a guide:
http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75299&highlight=wiper+blade

However, this video is GREAT, showing service position of the blades, and also showing how to change the blades:
http://youtu.be/bqZHbkcJJxo

This is such a simple maintence issue, however, I had NO idea how to do it without the forums and that video on youtube.

Motor on! Das Auto!

Last edited:

TRUboost

Go Kart Champion
Bought and installed those a few weeks ago. I had 12 bucks in credit on Amazon so they only cost me 13 bucks!

They seem exactly the same as the factory ones (they just say bosch on the ends), but I think they are probably slightly noisier than the stockers. Installing them was probably the easiest wipers I've ever done.

reedsposer22

Ready to race!
Installing them was probably the easiest wipers I've ever done.

DITTO. I remeber my car before m GTI was a 2000 honda accord coupe, I had to nearly wrestle the darn blades off and wrestle them back on, it took at least 20 minutes. These took 3 minutes to install, maybe not even that.

After the install, all I could do is think "These engineers at VW are AWESOME!!"

phd-12v

Go Kart Champion
oh btw, not to add anything but this bit of info.

I don't use my rear wiper as much, so it finally tore after 3 years. I called the dealer and chuckled at the price they gave me in the parts department.

So I went to my local auto store, grabbed a rainx 15" wiper blade, cut the end off and removed the parts from it, and slid it right onto my existing blade in the rear. Cut to length and pop the end cover back on. just so you know it is super easy to do it too

reedsposer22

Ready to race!
FYI the OEM blades are bosch.

LOL, I asked the service guy at dealer and he said OEM were VW produced blades and that is why they are $45 haha! Those liars, smh!

lilfleck

Go Kart Champion
oh btw, not to add anything but this bit of info.

I don't use my rear wiper as much, so it finally tore after 3 years. I called the dealer and chuckled at the price they gave me in the parts department.

So I went to my local auto store, grabbed a rainx 15" wiper blade, cut the end off and removed the parts from it, and slid it right onto my existing blade in the rear. Cut to length and pop the end cover back on. just so you know it is super easy to do it too
Interesting. Was it hard to slide the actual rubber blade out?

Which particular Bosch line are the OEM ones? My OEM ones are working great after 2 years ( not alot of rain here in California ) so I will likely get a refill or the same blade line when it comes time
....isn't that nice? Meanwhile, in other parts of the country,

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
"$45.... with FREE installation, doe!!!" :lol:

I recently ordered the rear from amazon and that was super easy. Have not had to do the fronts yet, but if anything like the rear.. piece of cake. Thanks for posting OP, this site and others like it, can be very beneficial for owners, no matter what the situation is -basic maintenance or modding. :thumbsup: